Panel resolution…

Are higher resolutions determined by a LCD panel, or the video card?

Or Are the panels limited to a certain resolution?

Re: Panel resolution…

The panel: the max resolution will be in the spec for the panel. The commonist resolution these days is 1920 x 1080, for instance (1080 so the panel can be shared with TVs). You can set a lower res (say 1280 x 768 for a legacy game), but nothing higher than 1920 x 1080. The card/drivers will allow you to change between possible (i.e. lower) resolutions, which generally cannot be set on the screen itself.

Is that what you were looking for?

M

Meridian is correct, most cards are capable of displaying resolutions higher than typical panels, which are usually 1080P or lower. The exception would be very old cards, but thats probably not relevant.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

All digital panels have a fixed number of pixels, as was explained above. This is the "native" resolution of the panel. It will always look best at this native resolution. You can send a lesser resolution to it, it will work, but is not ideal. You generally cannot send a higher resolution to it, it simply wont display. Many TV's, and I assume some monitors can accept a higher resolution, but down-scale it to the native res to display it.

Ok thanks, thought that may be the case.

If I went from a 21.5" ws to a 23" would it be a big difference in size, (besides the obvious 1.5"), when I went from 20" to 21.5 it seemed and still seems like a big difference.

With a 23" seems you would have more head movement and maybe there is a size that may be to large for desktop use.

Although I never heard anyone say I wish I would have bought a smaller one!
    Last edited by Stugg; 04-08-2012 at 11:39 PM.

You mean there are still people with screens smaller than 24"?

Do you know what your current screen resolution is? 20" monitors seem to use 1600 x 900, but almost all screens larger than that use 1920 x 1080, apart from a couple using 1920 x 1200 (my preferred) and IPS panel monitors with much higher res, like 2560 x 1440. Bigger is still better though (says the man with twin 26" monitors).

M

1680 x 1050, but I have it set to 1024 x 768, your probably laughing now, If you set a high resolution like you suggest, everything is so tiny, mouse moves slower on the screen, etc.,

I have it set to 1680 x1050 now, and the print size is smaller, and is harder to see.

At 1024 x 768 it is comfortable to read.

mines set at 1920 by 1200 which is the highest one I can pick on display properties. Its not to bad on my 25.5inch Samsung SyncMaster T260 HD. Eyes are about 3 feet to 4 feet from the screen, depend how i'm sitting when on the computer and maybe 7 feet away when I have it in TV mode and in my other chair.

You can control mouse speed in Windows XP Pro (and maybe with all windows) with control panel, mouse icon, pointer options tab, motion - select a pointer speed, mine 3rd in on the fast side.

benchmark setting

Stugg

You know that if you hold down the control button and scroll with the mouse wheel, everything gets bigger or smaller, right? Because yes, we're laughing at you...

M

Quote Originally Posted by Stugg View Post
    1680 x 1050, but I have it set to 1024 x 768, your probably laughing now, If you set a high resolution like you suggest, everything is so tiny, mouse moves slower on the screen, etc.,

I have it set to 1680 x1050 now, and the print size is smaller, and is harder to see.

At 1024 x 768 it is comfortable to read.

wow! I've got my 27" monitor that does 2560x1440.. can't imagine what going back to 1024x768 would be like.. thats not even the proper aspect ratio for your monitor. As Meridian said, you can change those settings to increase the size of text and the mouse sensitivity in the windows control panel.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present