Thermal Compound hard and dry during removal...

Recently I removed an i5-760 cpu to replace the board and noticed when removing the thermal compound (artic silver 5) that it almost completely hardened on both the cpu and the heatsink, like most of the moisture was removed from the product, it came off in pieces rather than the way I am used to removing it being in almost the same viscosity as when it was applied.

The positive side was that it was easy to remove.

It was in a computer that was built less than a year ago.

Has anyone ever seen this?

Re: Thermal Compound hard and dry during removal...

It's not uncommon at all. Many TIM applications "dry" over time, many by design. As long as they are still transferring heat it should be fine.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

sttubs is offline Always learning something

I've always used AS5 & have never seen that, even after several years of use. Maybe you have a slightly defective tube?
    AMD 8350 w/Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk Ed - Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 w/4x4gb GSkill Ripjaws 1600 CL7 - WD Black WD2003FZEX 2TB - EVGA GTX 780 Ti SuperClocked - Win 7 Premium 64bit - Lite-On iHES108 - White Corsair 500r w/Corsair AX860i 860W - HP XP599AA

Heat: http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=55337
    Ebay: http://myworld.ebay.com/sttubs/

Reply from the company arctic silver.

Hello Ken,

Arctic Silver 5 is designed to transition to the consistency of clay over time to ensure long term durability. Your experience is normal.

Best Regards,

Colin