Thread: Dishonored

Dishonored

Looks interesting, though its all just a pre-rendered cutscene. I'll be keeping an eye out for more info

and to clarify for everyone: Its just being published by Bethesda Softworksthe publishing arm, not made by Bethesda Game Studios (aka skyrim bethesda). Its being developed by Arkane, makers of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: Dishonored

Assassins Creed (1) + Skyrim + Steampunk = Kind of excited for this. Not getting too pumped until I see gameplay.

Dishonored comes out tomorrow and I have it preordered. I think it looks pretty awesome.

Although, Bethesda does have a history of publishing crappy/mediocre non-Bethesda developed games, like RAGE (developed by Id) and Brink (developed by Splash Damage). Fallout: New Vegas (one of my favorite games ever) was also published by them and developed by Obsidian, but that was basically a big ass standalone expansion pack for Fallout 3, so doesn't strictly speaking count.

Anyway, Dishonored. Looks cool, some neat ideas. Supposed to be a Steampunk + Medevil Deus Ex style FPS/RPG deal. I'll probably be too busy to play it this week though.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Dishonored comes out tomorrow and I have it preordered. I think it looks pretty awesome.

Although, Bethesda does have a history of publishing crappy/mediocre non-Bethesda developed games, like RAGE (developed by Id) and Brink (developed by Splash Damage). Fallout: New Vegas (one of my favorite games ever) was also published by them and developed by Obsidian, but that was basically a big ass standalone expansion pack for Fallout 3, so doesn't strictly speaking count.

Anyway, Dishonored. Looks cool, some neat ideas. Supposed to be a Steampunk + Medevil Deus Ex style FPS/RPG deal. I'll probably be too busy to play it this week though.
    I forgot I started this thread.. I have to say, that after the super badass looking trailer with the really neat-o pre-rendered cutscene, the gameplay videos were huge disappoint. They look like absolute dog-poo. I know graphics aren't everything, but when you put out a sweet hype video using pre-rendered cinematics and the real gameplay footage looks like a bad mod for HL2, you're doing something wrong. I will not be picking this up unless I hear some major positives from people who played the game

Trust me, I do science

I don't think it looks that bad, but it is running on Unreal Engine 3 (aka, "we can easily port this to the Xbox 360 and PS3"). So, maybe suffering from some console-Dx9-itis.

Would be sweet if they released a high-res texture pack like Bethesda did for Skyrim for us personal computer gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by CTUnit1 View Post
    Assassins Creed (1) + Skyrim + Steampunk = Kind of excited for this. Not getting too pumped until I see gameplay.
    Its all about the whalepunkt haha

I like it, its a lot like Hitman/Splintercell with some Bioshock. Slow pace, with some action you pretty much control. I like how its faux sandbox, each zone you clear/quest thru, once done, can be run again for a better chance at finding things you missed or for diff way to finish.

My son likes to blow things up and run thru to his objective. I am going about it the Assassin Creed/Batman way, exploring every corner. Saving, and re-killing in precise, neat ways haha. I just went thru a Kennel on my way to one of my assassinations - it was a good 2 hours of doing it over and over just of pure entertainment. The rabid dog is great by the way...

A few easter eggs and nods to other games make it fun too.

Its good/bad in the same way the original Borderlands was good/bad. Feels like a solid game, but ultimatly you know its filler until you sink your teeth into the next skyrim.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I was thinking about doing a live stream this week of the start of my play through on pcper.com/live.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

I've heard a lot of good things about this game so far. An interesting aspect is how much side-content there is that isn't fully broadcast to the player. It requires actual exploration to ensure that you're getting the extra missions, which is kind of cool. I don't think i'll be picking it up at full price, but based on the talk I think I'd like to get it at some point.

Trust me, I do science

People are complaining because I guess some pre-release live stream of this game (guy got it from a Target or something that was selling it early) showed that you can beat the game in 4 hours if you play on easy and just blink through entire groups of enemies and then just use run and gun when you do encounter combat.

That's a pretty unfair standard to hold the game too. Haven't played it yet, still hella busy, but it looks like a Thief/Deus Ex style stealth type game, so if you're playing in "Don't Stop For Nothing" mode, then yeah, it'll be short.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    People are complaining because I guess some pre-release live stream of this game (guy got it from a Target or something that was selling it early) showed that you can beat the game in 4 hours if you play on easy and just blink through entire groups of enemies and then just use run and gun when you do encounter combat.

That's a pretty unfair standard to hold the game too. Haven't played it yet, still hella busy, but it looks like a Thief/Deus Ex style stealth type game, so if you're playing in "Don't Stop For Nothing" mode, then yeah, it'll be short.
    My 11 year old plays at that pace (that is why he is ladder ranked in LoL). I notice he is WAY farther in the game than I am. I am OCD, so I would be at the other end of the spectrum, slow and steady and barely on the 3rd zone.

I would say this would be the "perfect" $20 game on Steam. At $60, it was a steep price, but I was in the groove for a new game so no big. No matter the price, you get a 8/10 game.

EDIT: When I bought Dishonored (for the PC) at EB, they had a sign up for Dishonored (console only) that they would take $1 off per day you own the game and buy it back from you minus that $1 per day you owned. Beat it in 5 hours? Take it back the next day and only pay a buck for it...
    Last edited by mpulliam; 10-17-2012 at 07:01 PM.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by mpulliam View Post
    My 11 year old plays at that pace (that is why he is ladder ranked in LoL). I notice he is WAY farther in the game than I am. I am OCD, so I would be at the other end of the spectrum, slow and steady and barely on the 3rd zone.
    Yeah, I've played an hour of this game now, and I am a very slow and methodical stealth player. Discovered by one guard? Reload the save and do it over until I get away without being discovered.

But, if you play this game like a shooter, then I could see it being really short.

It really reminds me more of Thief than Deus Ex or System Shock 2. Those games had little open-world hubs while this seems more like Thief where you just go from mission to mission.

I played for about 2 hours on the live stream last night and I learned two things:

1. It's a good game.
    2. I am not good at being stealthy.

Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I played for about 2 hours on the live stream last night and I learned two things:

1. It's a good game.
    2. I am not good at being stealthy.

They taunt you with stealth. You go in a mission thinking "this is the time NO ONE sees me"... then you see that you can knock down a street lamp and kill 3 but 2 other guards will hear...

I restarted and went to the hardest setting. WAY more fun. SO many rats and you die very quickly in melee. Really forces me to play better and think about how I am spending upgrades.

Great game, and plays fantastic on my kids old system (Q6600/3gb ram/8800GTS640) as well as my own.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz

Yeah, the game does seem kinda sketchy sometimes on if the guards detect you. Sometimes it seems like they see you when they shouldn't. And sometimes, they don't see you when you think "Oh man, I'm going to get spotted for sure."