GeForce GTX 690 YEAH

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...ote/#sf4056679

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want one bad!

3072 CUDA cores
    915MHz clockspeed
    4GB VRAM GDDR5
    300W TDP

NVIDIA says it is 75% faster than the 680 on all these games!

It has magnesium things on the top! It's made to look like a F1 engine! The article even reminds us that magnesium is what's used in the engine of the F-22 and Bugatti Veyron!

Joking aside. I have the hots for one of these.

Re: GeForce GTX 690 YEAH

Estimated MSRP just announced : $1,000.

Don't really know what to say to that.

Hmm, that is sexy, but $1,000? Seriously? I'd rather run a couple of 680's in SLI, after running a single 680 for a couple of years and buying the other one used off Ebay.

Surely even in the US two 680s much be a grand the pair?

M

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Hmm, that is sexy, but $1,000? Seriously? I'd rather run a couple of 680's in SLI, after running a single 680 for a couple of years and buying the other one used off Ebay.
    Yeah, the NVIDIA blog post even says something like "we combined two GTX 680s, but without any of the performance loss on the second card associated with SLI."

I really like these monster two-GPU cards, I used to own a GTX 295 for example, but $1000 is too much money. I hated the 2005-2007 years when you saw $800 graphics cards and as much of a NVIDIA fanboy as I am, I really can't get behind a $1000 GPU. Sorry Big Green, but I think I'll pass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Surely even in the US two 680s much be a grand the pair?

M
    Just about. The cheapest 680s are $499, most seem to be like $529. You can't find a GTX 680 anywhere in stock right now, so it's a sellers market for the 680 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    NVIDIA says it is 75% faster than the 680 on all these games!
    let us pause and reflect for a moment on how stupid this sounds. 2x the cost, 1.75x the performance! they might not want to explicitly state how unattractive the scaling makes their brand new card

its a nifty engineering exercise, not much more, so commenting on its practicality and the stupidity of its $1000 price tag is pointless.. although, everyone seems quick to point it out as being really high, when its no different than a 680 SLI setup... an idea at which people would bat far fewer eyelashes.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Read my comment again guys. I never said I'd buy both 680's now. I'd run a single 680 now (which is total overkill for everything out there anyway) and buy another 680 in a couple of years when they will NOT be selling for the stupid prices they are now. Better yet, I'd buy a single 7970 and use the extra $500+ for a lot of games!

NVIDIA has always been vague about the performance loss from SLI scaling. But, the vibe I got from their blog post about the 690 was that you'll get more performance from a 690 than 2x 680 SLI. But, it's roughly the same cost, so it's pretty much a wash if you were already getting a 680 SLI.

The official TDP for the 680 is 195W while NVIDIA is listing the TDP for the 690 at 300W. So, if you were a power nazi and wanted the absolute most power efficient rig possible, the 690 would be a better choice (vs. 680 SLI). But, let's face it, if you care about a 100W difference, you probably shouldn't be considering either 680 SLI or 690.

As much as I would like one the price is a real downer
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Read my comment again guys. I never said I'd buy both 680's now. I'd run a single 680 now (which is total overkill for everything out there anyway) and buy another 680 in a couple of years when they will NOT be selling for the stupid prices they are now. Better yet, I'd buy a single 7970 and use the extra $500+ for a lot of games!
    i wasn't talking about you specifically, but I see a lot of people making comments about its pricetag while far fewer seem to comment about the costs when people talk about 680 SLI on other forums.
    NVIDIA has always been vague about the performance loss from SLI scaling. But, the vibe I got from their blog post about the 690 was that you'll get more performance from a 690 than 2x 680 SLI. But, it's roughly the same cost, so it's pretty much a wash if you were already getting a 680 SLI.
    Considering that it really is just the normal SLI link running through on onboard bridge chip, I don't think anyone (nV included) was saying it was going to be better scaling than 2 680's. All the press material I saw was basically about them trying to reach performance parity with 2x680's, which is something previous dual-gpu cards failed to do by a pretty good margin. Most of the performance deficiencies before were due to the power and heat dissipation limits, which are less of a factor due to the more efficient nature of GK104.

The official TDP for the 680 is 195W while NVIDIA is listing the TDP for the 690 at 300W. So, if you were a power nazi and wanted the absolute most power efficient rig possible, the 690 would be a better choice (vs. 680 SLI). But, let's face it, if you care about a 100W difference, you probably shouldn't be considering either 680 SLI or 690.
    Yea, theres some agressive binning and reduced clockspeeds to do it so its not an entirely fair fight. You'll probably have more headroom in the 2x680 setup as a result of the higher cumulative TDP so the ultimate performance when overclocked agressively is still going to be better. I'm still not entirely sure what the rationale behind going with a 690 is over 2 680's, since as you note, quibbling over the wattage is sort of meaningless at a certain level. The only thing I can think of is if you're building a size-constrained rig where a 690 would allow you to put 2 gpu's in the same footprint as a single card.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present