Help finding a sound card.

I'm looking for a sound card (preferably under $200) that can output Dolby Digital 5.1 through an optical port.

Re: Help finding a sound card.

What format card ?

PCI-e, old style PCI ?

Could you enter your system information into the space for that in your User CP then enable viewing of it? Or could you make a detailed signature listing all of your parts? This will help others answer this and future questions, and you only need to do it once. As an example of the level of detail we need, you can click on my system dropdown or look at some of the other signatures you see here. Thanks.

I have an open PCI-E x4 and a PCI, don't have a preference on the sound card format just as long as it gets the job done. Thanks

I'm guessing you don't have a receiver that accepts the HDMI output from the video card.

Integrated HD audio controller

Output protected high bit rate 7.1 channel surround sound over HDMI or DisplayPort with no additional cables required
    Supports AC-3, AAC, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio formats
    So something like this?

And when you say you want it to output Dolby Digital 5.1 through the optical port, do you mean from a DVD or other source already encoded, or are you looking for Dolby Digital Live that will real-time encode it? If the former, then any sound card with an optical out will work for you.

source thats already encoded

I would then check out the Asus Xonar line, they have some good ones under $50. Does it have to be optical, or do you have an open Digital coax input? the sound is identical through either.

Xonar Phoebus is over the horizon. I recommend waiting for that one :X