Jun 2001

Considerations on new build

I've never built a truly "bleeding edge" machine, but I think I might whenever the 7990s finally come out (or perhaps not if someone can lend some advice?)

I currently have an i7 sandy bridge, radeon 5850, SSD setup, and it's great. But I figured I might as well build a new one to go along with the eventual new video card.

This is the build I've put together and considered.

Cooler Master HAF 932

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200

GeIL EVO CORSA Series 32GB

Intel DX79SI

Intel i7 3960x

Noctua NH-D14

Intel 520 Cherryville 240GB SATA III

Video Card:
    Radeon HD 7990

Are there any glaring issues, recommendations or out right problems with the above items?

I appreciate any input.

Jun 2001

Re: Considerations on new build

Maybe I can be more specific (although this specific question may be better suited to the video card forum)

Since it could be a couple more months before the 7990 debuts, and I'm impatient, I've considered the 690 alternative:

EVGA GTX 690

Although, it must be in limited supply. So, barring that, I've considered something along the lines of SLI XFX Radeon HD 7970; although, something like that seems foolish considering how close we are to the next series coming out.

All things considered, I'm assuming the 7990 is the response to the 690, so I can't really go wrong with either card.

Aside from those things, I'm curious about the driver/bios headaches that may result from such a build. Is that common? Every computer I've built has always been using components after they've been out for 6-8 months and even then there's sometimes stability issues while stuff gets ironed out.

Am I looking to greatly magnify such problems (or others?) when doing a build like this?