Steam Gift Cards!

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/re...ers-next-week/

Coming May 15! Allegedly!

Oh glorious day! I've been waiting for these for 5 years.

This will be great for me because friends and family always want something to get me for Christmas/Birthday and Steambucks will really hit the spot.

Re: Steam Gift Cards!

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/re...ers-next-week/

Coming May 15! Allegedly!

Oh glorious day! I've been waiting for these for 5 years.

This will be great for me because friends and family always want something to get me for Christmas/Birthday and Steambucks will really hit the spot.
    maybe im missing something but whats wrong with a generic visa giftcard? you can spend those anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    maybe im missing something but whats wrong with a generic visa giftcard? you can spend those anywhere.
    really. those are by far the best option. that said, steam GC's are not an awful idea when viewed in context of other GC's

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    Do they have those at stores like Walmart or Best Buy? I'm not sure.

In addition to the Christmas angle, I'm thinking this might be a good way to get Steambucks if I just have cash on me. I mostly use my bank debit card/PayPal debit card/credit card for everything, but if I have a $50 in my wallet, it might be easier to run down to the GS and get a Steam gift card rather than go to the bank, deposit the money, and then use my debit card.

These are real! In GameStop today! Comes in $20 and $50 amounts.

you and your Visa gift cards! Secondly, that website is telling me the closest location to me is a Blockbuster which has been closed for about 5 years!

if I have a $50 in my wallet, it might be easier to run down to the GS and get a Steam gift card rather than go to the bank, deposit the money, and then use my debit card.
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA?!

just buy them on credit!

Trust me, I do science

A specialized gift card seems a bit more personal to me. If you are going to give someone a VISA gift card you might as well just pull out some cash and hand it to them.

Nothing wrong with using a credit card. In fact there are lots of perks like cash back and such. Just be sure you pay off that bill IN FULL every month!
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    A specialized gift card seems a bit more personal to me. If you are going to give someone a VISA gift card you might as well just pull out some cash and hand it to them.
    I mostly agree. its kind of like saying "i know what KINDS of things you want, but i don't want to get you the wrong thing"

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Nothing wrong with using a credit card. In fact there are lots of perks like cash back and such. Just be sure you pay off that bill IN FULL every month!
    What? I thought the 29.93% APR was a good thing

Trust me, I do science

So, I have the "GameStop Download App" on my PC, which is basically GameStop's Steam clone. It used to be called Impulse and was from a company named Stardock and had a lot of indie games, but GameStop bought it and now it's less indie.

Anyway, they have daily deals and today's deal popped up - CounterStrike: Source. A Valve game on a competing digital download service? I wonder if this was apart of the deal between GameStop and Valve to bring Steam giftcards to GameStop. Plus, CS:S has so much heavy Steam integration, it must need Steam to be installed to run. So, GameStop is getting their cut of the digital PC games market by selling games online and Steam gift cards, and Valve is selling SteamBucks and also getting more Steam installs via GameStop's Steam clone. Interesting stuff happening....

So, I have the "GameStop Download App" on my PC, which is basically GameStop's Steam clone. It used to be called Impulse and was from a company named Stardock and had a lot of indie games, but GameStop bought it and now it's less indie.

Anyway, they have daily deals and today's deal popped up - CounterStrike: Source. A Valve game on a competing digital download service? I wonder if this was apart of the deal between GameStop and Valve to bring Steam giftcards to GameStop. Plus, CS:S has so much heavy Steam integration, it must need Steam to be installed to run. So, GameStop is getting their cut of the digital PC games market by selling games online and Steam gift cards, and Valve is selling SteamBucks and also getting more Steam installs via GameStop's Steam clone. Interesting stuff happening....

its a pretty smart marketing move on valves part. if someone buys cs source from gamestop it installs steam on their system and now they have this new distribution service they may not have heard of. it gets their foot in the door so to speak.

everyone knows what gamestop is. not so much with steam.