Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Steam Gift Cards!



    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/re...ers-next-week/

    Coming May 15! Allegedly!

    Oh glorious day! I've been waiting for these for 5 years.

    This will be great for me because friends and family always want something to get me for Christmas/Birthday and Steambucks will really hit the spot.

  2. #2
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    wichita falls tx
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,136

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post


    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/re...ers-next-week/

    Coming May 15! Allegedly!

    Oh glorious day! I've been waiting for these for 5 years.

    This will be great for me because friends and family always want something to get me for Christmas/Birthday and Steambucks will really hit the spot.
    maybe im missing something but whats wrong with a generic visa giftcard? you can spend those anywhere.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,780

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    maybe im missing something but whats wrong with a generic visa giftcard? you can spend those anywhere.
    really. those are by far the best option. that said, steam GC's are not an awful idea when viewed in context of other GC's


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  4. #4
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    maybe im missing something but whats wrong with a generic visa giftcard? you can spend those anywhere.
    Do they have those at stores like Walmart or Best Buy? I'm not sure.

    In addition to the Christmas angle, I'm thinking this might be a good way to get Steambucks if I just have cash on me. I mostly use my bank debit card/PayPal debit card/credit card for everything, but if I have a $50 in my wallet, it might be easier to run down to the GS and get a Steam gift card rather than go to the bank, deposit the money, and then use my debit card.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    These are real! In GameStop today! Comes in $20 and $50 amounts.

  6. #6
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    wichita falls tx
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,136

  7. #7
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    you and your Visa gift cards! Secondly, that website is telling me the closest location to me is a Blockbuster which has been closed for about 5 years!

  8. #8
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,780

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    if I have a $50 in my wallet, it might be easier to run down to the GS and get a Steam gift card rather than go to the bank, deposit the money, and then use my debit card.
    I THOUGHT THIS WAS AMERICA?!

    just buy them on credit!


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  9. #9
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Southern Tier of NY
    Age
    47
    Posts
    21,329

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    A specialized gift card seems a bit more personal to me. If you are going to give someone a VISA gift card you might as well just pull out some cash and hand it to them.

    Nothing wrong with using a credit card. In fact there are lots of perks like cash back and such. Just be sure you pay off that bill IN FULL every month!
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.





    [Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

  10. #10
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,780

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    A specialized gift card seems a bit more personal to me. If you are going to give someone a VISA gift card you might as well just pull out some cash and hand it to them.
    I mostly agree. its kind of like saying "i know what KINDS of things you want, but i don't want to get you the wrong thing"

    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Nothing wrong with using a credit card. In fact there are lots of perks like cash back and such. Just be sure you pay off that bill IN FULL every month!
    What? I thought the 29.93% APR was a good thing


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  11. #11
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    So, I have the "GameStop Download App" on my PC, which is basically GameStop's Steam clone. It used to be called Impulse and was from a company named Stardock and had a lot of indie games, but GameStop bought it and now it's less indie.

    Anyway, they have daily deals and today's deal popped up - CounterStrike: Source. A Valve game on a competing digital download service? I wonder if this was apart of the deal between GameStop and Valve to bring Steam giftcards to GameStop. Plus, CS:S has so much heavy Steam integration, it must need Steam to be installed to run. So, GameStop is getting their cut of the digital PC games market by selling games online and Steam gift cards, and Valve is selling SteamBucks and also getting more Steam installs via GameStop's Steam clone. Interesting stuff happening....

  12. #12
    Joined
    Oct 2002
    Location
    wichita falls tx
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,136

    Re: Steam Gift Cards!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    So, I have the "GameStop Download App" on my PC, which is basically GameStop's Steam clone. It used to be called Impulse and was from a company named Stardock and had a lot of indie games, but GameStop bought it and now it's less indie.

    Anyway, they have daily deals and today's deal popped up - CounterStrike: Source. A Valve game on a competing digital download service? I wonder if this was apart of the deal between GameStop and Valve to bring Steam giftcards to GameStop. Plus, CS:S has so much heavy Steam integration, it must need Steam to be installed to run. So, GameStop is getting their cut of the digital PC games market by selling games online and Steam gift cards, and Valve is selling SteamBucks and also getting more Steam installs via GameStop's Steam clone. Interesting stuff happening....

    its a pretty smart marketing move on valves part. if someone buys cs source from gamestop it installs steam on their system and now they have this new distribution service they may not have heard of. it gets their foot in the door so to speak.

    everyone knows what gamestop is. not so much with steam.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •