Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What did you do to your car today?

Alright well doing the supercharger and throttle body has been put off till friday but today im going to pick up some blue high heat engine paint and try my hand at painting the supercharger so it looks purdy.

Came out pretty good I think! (note the pulley on there will be swapped off anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post

Came out pretty good I think! (note the pulley on there will be swapped off anyway).
    Looks good. Leave it in the sun for a few days so the paint is good-n-cured or you'll end up with fingerprints all over it from installing it.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Or you can bake it if you know a shop that will do it for you. It will only occupy space if they're already doing other stuff in there.

Spoiler!

Well ive got till friday before I install it so its been sitting in the sun outside. Should be okay. Its pretty sunny/hot today and should be tomorrow too.

Picked up a spark plug and ratchet head for said item. Found there was a mis-fire in one cylinder, so I'll start there.

Yes, I should do them all, but the way the engine is set under the hood, reaching the rear three is a pain in the ass. You either need to jack the car up far enough to reach them from underneath or tilt the engine forward...and it seems to be pretty common with GM 3100 and 3400 engines.

When I can get some help, I'll do them all and switch the plug wires.

But for now, I'm just letting the car cool down after my morning errands.

Got some sandpaper and a 14 piece bit socket set.
    Need to grab some rubberized undercoating for the weekend.

Spoiler!

Well the supercharger and throttle body are installed. Ended up being a major hassle. Problems in order of annoyingness:
    -Really need to get it dyno tuned to find out what pulley size to actually run on this as it is a lot more efficient than the prior supercharger. As well as to enter the code for the different MAF on the throttlebody.
    -Have to get a different Multi-Pulley System
    -Had to buy a Valve Cover Breather (on the plus side they look cool).
    -My Cold Air Intake box wont fit with the bigger supercharger. Gotta mod it somehow or get a different one. Running it without the box currently.
    -GM decided that the GenV needed one of the bolts to run down from a hole in the top and a hole on the bottom of the sc. So without trying to find a friggin massive and different bolt, had to drill the top hole to be wider so it could just be dropped through the hole and tightened on the bottom one. GG on that.

Otherwise it went very well. This supercharger sounds significantly different than the gen3 m90. I like it Also the throttle body made a MASSIVE difference in throttle response. Much smoother and quicker. Cant wait to get it dyno tuned
    Last edited by Bearded Frog; 05-29-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Washed it. Dad gave me $5 bucks and said that he needs the rain in the garden. Sure as he spoke those words it rained this evening.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick

Just detailing a customer car but will need to wash mine and tweak the rear suspension soon.

Spoiler!

I'm picking her up from my friend's house. We just did an engine swap. Can't wait to get her back!
    Last edited by Afterburner; 05-30-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Can't wait to get his car out of here. Will be done by end of the afternoon/evening today.
    After that it's some tender, love and care for my baby.

Spoiler!

Cleaned up the rear suspension and fixed (but still need to test drive) some clunking.

Sprayed a ton of rust proofing oil from Krown underneath and in the engine bay.
    Will need to get gas and a wash tomorrow even if it does rain.

Spoiler!

topped it off with another quart of oil. these 2.0T FSI engines sure are thirsty

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

^^^So are about 30% of Nissan VQ engines, some were made with bad fitting piston rings or so the story goes. I just topped mine off with a quart of Castrol GTX 5W-30, and yes, I'm in that lucky 30%. Strangely enough, the engine has the hardest time burning through the Castrol than all other oils I've tried.