Question Updating Video Card and Processor: Need help

Hi, just joined the forums and I have a question.

I'm looking to update my video card and processor in my computer (built it myself about 6-7 years ago) but I don't know how I should go about it. I've gotten away from how everything has progressed since I built this desktop and I'm having trouble figuring out what I can update it to without getting overly expensive.

I wanted to get a decent video card for around $150 and was thinking of getting http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161337 this one. Don't know how much better that will be than what I currently have though.

I also, as aforementioned, want to update my processor, but I don't even know where to begin on that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Here's my current system specs. If you need more let me know:

Mainboard : Intel D875PBZ
    Chipset : Intel i875PE
    Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2800MHz
    Physical Memory : 2560MBDDR-SDRAM
    Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
    Hard Disk : MAXTOR STM3160215A ATA Device (160GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : JLMS XJ-HD166S
    CD-Rom Drive : CDWRITER IDE5224
    Monitor Type : AL2016W - 20 inches
    Network Card : Intel 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (LOM)
    Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.00.6000 (32-bit)
    DirectX : Version 10.00
    Windows Performance Index : 1.0 on 5.9
    "Physics and law enforcement: If it weren't for those 2, I'd be unstoppable!"

Re: Updating Video Card and Processor: Need help

If you were to do a total replacement....What would your budget be ??

I can't see it being cost effective to upgrade what you have.

What do you do with your rig ? Gaming? (what games ?) Office work & web browsing ?

Yeah, I'll channel what Matt said. If you upgrade your graphics card, your processor and RAM will be a bottle neck on modern games. And I don't know if you should spend any money on an AGP graphics card. It will not work with a modern motherboard should you wish to upgrade a few years down the road.

And what games are you planning on playing? Moving from a NVIDIA 7000 series GPU to a Radeon HD 4000 series will probably not make a huge difference if you're planning on playing the newest games like Battlefield 3 or The Witcher 2.

The obvious questions are:

1) What do you plan to use it for?

2) How much money do you have?

But I agree that upgrading to an other AGP card is a waste of money, as AGP is dead as a format. It would just be yet another thing you've have to replace when you did change the motherboard - and that will already mean new CPU, RAM and probably PSU.

M

I mostly use it for web-browsing, but I've been getting back into a lot of (relatively) older games like CS:Source. But I'd like to be able to buy some newer titles like Battlefield 3 or MW3 without tweaking the graphics so much that it looks like a cartoon. Even running CS:Source I have to tweak down the graphics so it won't play.

I'm guessing since AGP is a dead format if I want to upgrade anything I should just revamp the whole machine? If so that'll make my choices a helluvalot easier. Just wanted to know if there was anything I could do with my current machine. I have an alienware tower that's HUGE with a LOT of space in it (and it's a pretty green).

P.S. - If I did a total replacement, my budget would be around $700

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos5253 View Post
    P.S. - If I did a total replacement, my budget would be around $700
    I'd start with the "mid-range" recommendations on the leaderboard.

http://www.pcper.com/hwlb

I'd then remove the sound card and the SSD from the build.

And the if you wanted to cheapen it up even more, downgrade the video card.

What resolution is your monitor at ?

Sounds like you can keep the tower at least, as you'll probably end up with an ATX format motherboard with your budget. The stuff on the leader board looks reasonably sound, and I agree that you don't need an SSD or a separate sound card for your purposes. If your PSU is less than 550W then I'd add that to the budget. Probably want to add a new HDD and possibly new OS if you plan on the latest games and you are on either XP or Vista (spit).

M

There are a lot of really good deals out there on both sides from AMD and Intel. If you are looking price/perf then a Phenom II X4 is still a good option with a good AM3+ board. If you are really looking to go way out, then either a i5 2500 or 2500K would be a great choice (depending if you felt like overclocking at all).

I guess if I were looking at a budget of $700, I would first update my power supply. If you have had that machine for that long and have not replaced the PS, then it may not handle the new system well. I really like the Corsair TX series (V2). 600 watt to 750 watt would be good.

A Phenom II X4 965 or 970 is still a nice (and inexpensive) processor. Getting a fully loaded AMD 970 based mobo, or jumping up to a 990X board, will get you a lot more system for the price than a comparable Intel CPU and board. I would still stay away from the AMD FX processors, unless you find a smoking deal on them.

Don't shy away from graphics. I think the minimum you should probably get would be a HD 7850. They are as fast as the last generation HD 6970s (and slightly slower than a GTX 580) and it still has 2 GB of memory and will run a lot of games quite nicely for the price.

There are a lot of pretty decent barebones in the Newegg Shell Shocker deals on their daily email newsletter. They're generally $300-400 for a nearly complete mainstream PC, and that would leave you $100 for a copy of Windows 7 and $200 for the remaining niceties like a good graphics card and maybe a small SSD for your OS. The Shell Shocker PCs aren't always optimal for gaming, but I've seen some pretty decent combos listed now and then with fairly modern dual and quad core CPUs.

With regards to the graphics card, a GTX 550 Ti would be a decent upgrade for the price. Our 550 Ti is a compact design with custom cooling, and it's $100 right now newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162094

A GTX 560 would also be a good move at a bit over the $150 mark for roughly 20% more graphics performance.

If you want to play BF3, though, you might consider upping the budget just a bit more to a GTX 560 Ti. If you haven't already picked up a copy of the game, our GTX 560 Ti BF3 Edition includes one for free and is currently $199:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162089