Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Re: The Great Global Warming Thread (merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    They might be more swayed when they hear of the increasing spate of BMWs being stolen off people's driveways without breaking in to them and without having the keys.

Seems there's some device out there that can trigger the remote central locking sensor & disable the alarm. Once inside the thief connects a laptop to the On Board Diagnostics port, starts the engne and simply drives it away. Within days they'll be in bits and/or a packing container on their way to the Baltic States or Africa.

Some people have had replacement cars stolen the same way within days or receiving them.
    The most amazing thing about that is spending all that money on a car and not putting it in a garage!

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    The most amazing thing about that is spending all that money on a car and not putting it in a garage!
    You'd never get a BMW larger than a Z4 in a British garage. They're just too small.

I can park my Mazda MX-5 in mine and just about get out the door, but there's no chance with a proper size car.

Garages are just places to store junk and empty boxes.

^^^ The typical American suburban garage is 7 meters square and filled with junk and boxes.

Mine is decorated with a German car on jack stands.

You've got a Porsche 911 haven't you? I seem to remember that.

You've got a Porsche 911 haven't you? I seem to remember that.
    Its a 914.

I've had it for over 30 years and for some dumbarse reason have decided to go through it for the second time.

I think I'll nickname it "knuckle bustin' money pit".

One thing of interest... there's a broken exhaust stud in one of the heads that I don't want to remove in the normal e-z-out method, because its proven to be iffy on these things. So we're taking it out by using EDM (electrical discharge machining) to carve an allen head socket into the end of the stud so we can take it out... without having to yank the engine out (major pain).

That stud has been my nemesis, so when I met the guy who does this EDM stuff... up in the air the little car went. Hope it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    ^^^ The typical American suburban garage is 7 meters square and filled with junk and boxes.

Mine is decorated with a German car on jack stands.
    Lol, sadly true. I remember a comedian making a joke of the fact that most Americans don't seem to understand how strange it is to fill their garage with junk and leave their second most expensive possession outside in the elements to rot.

A rare car indeed. I don't think I've seen one on the road.

Good luck with the repair. There's always one sodding bolt/screw that sticks whatever you do.

Its a 914.

I've had it for over 30 years and for some dumbarse reason have decided to go through it for the second time.

I think I'll nickname it "knuckle bustin' money pit".

One thing of interest... there's a broken exhaust stud in one of the heads that I don't want to remove in the normal e-z-out method, because its proven to be iffy on these things. So we're taking it out by using EDM (electrical discharge machining) to carve an allen head socket into the end of the stud so we can take it out... without having to yank the engine out (major pain).

That stud has been my nemesis, so when I met the guy who does this EDM stuff... up in the air the little car went. Hope it works.
    let me know how that works being a tech i could sure use it ,nissans in particular
    asrock x370 taichi,16g gskill flarex3200 wd250mu 3wdblack 1 tera
    Asrock 990FX FX8120 8G Gskill 2133 2x WD2T 6.0 pc p+c 950w
    Asrock 890FX 1090t 2x4 Gskill 1866 RipJaw WD 1T 6.0 mushkin 850w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 8 Gskill RipJaw 1866 WD1T 6.0 ocz 750 w
    DFI 790FXB M3H5 PII 965 2x4 Gskill Rip Jaw 1600 Ocz evo720
    DFI 790FXB M2RSH PII 955 2x1Gskill 1600 Saph 4670 Ocz Evo 720W
    DFI 790FXM2RS PII 720 2x1gig Gskill 1600 Sapphire HD3400
    DFI Lp ultra D SLI Opti 148@300x10 @33c 1 gig Crucial ballistix 4000

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAS LYNN View Post
    let me know how that works being a tech i could sure use it ,nissans in particular
    Will do!!!

Portable EDM machine? Every EDM machine I've ever seen working was the size of a car itself. I just bought a mini-mill and I'm rebuilding a lathe..an EDM is down there on the list of "Shop tools someday". Fun learning about this stuff.

Would love to see some pics before/during/after!
    Nuke em'.

Pictures! yes good idea. I hope it's powered by renewable resources too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    Portable EDM machine? Every EDM machine I've ever seen working was the size of a car itself. I just bought a mini-mill and I'm rebuilding a lathe..an EDM is down there on the list of "Shop tools someday". Fun learning about this stuff.

Would love to see some pics before/during/after!
    I'll take pictures.

He's making the electrode now... a piece of graphite the size of the allen socket, with a hole in the center to run coolant. It fits into a brass tool holder that hooks up to his machine, which you can hold in your hand (I'm building a fixture to mount it to the cylinder head). His power supply and coolant reservoirs are portable and get set near where he works.

He claims its the smallest EDM machine of its type.

And yeah, the ones I've seen are quite large.

I was gonna get into it back before all the water cooling companies made CPU water blocks. Expensive.

Might have to move these posts into a separate thread (but am new at this, so it make take some homework).

Might have to move these posts into a separate thread (but am new at this, so it make take some homework).
    I'll have a go if you like.

Then you can blame me if it accidentally gets wiped.

I'll have a go if you like.

Then you can blame me if it accidentally gets wiped.
    Yeah!!!

Please do... pop 'em into the "off-topic" section, if ya would.

You're aces!!!

Re: Dutchcedar's Porsche repair project

OK, done (Can't change the heading though, on this forum)