Install video card drivers on ssd or hdd?

I have a new computer and my OS is installed on my SSD and my games etc installed on my HDD. I just got a graphics card driver update notification and I want to know if I can install the update onto my HDD? (to save space on my ssd). I took a look in my SSD and I see folders in there with stuff about my graphics card already so I dont know if installing graphics card driver updates on my HDD will screw things up.

Thanks in advance

Re: Install video card drivers on ssd or hdd?

Graphic card drivers are considered system drivers so you definitely want to put them with your OS and other system drivers on the SSD.
    If you're running out of room on your SSD then I'd say that you've loaded stuff on there that probably should have been put on a Hdd and not on your boot drive.
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Are you asking that question correctly? Graphics card updates will be installed over the current drivers and you will get no choice as to where that is - if they go anywhere else they won't work, so you aren't even asked. However, before it does that you are usually asked where you want the files unpacked before installation. That location can be anywhere, on any drive - even removable ones. Those files stay there after install, but once the drivers are updated you can delete those unpacked files if you wish because they aren't needed any more. So you can either unpack to the HDD and leave, or unpack to the SSD and remove after the installation finishes.

M

Install on same device as the OS, in your case it's the SSD. It's not even a lot of space either. Just clean up the installation leftovers like M said.

If you're really concerned with space on your SSD and we're talking about graphics card drivers, you should look at getting a bigger SSD.

I eventually picked up a dedicated SSD as a games/storage drive.
    Love the speed and don't need a TB or 2 for storage otherwise I would have gone with a 10k rpm like Raptor or just a plain WD Black or Green.

Spoiler!

Exterior & Interior Modification & Care
    detailing - modifications - installations - maintenance
    http://edhilario.ca

Ok so I downloaded it to my HDD and then it installed. When I open up my AMD engine control center and scan for updates it still says I need to install the latest driver (12.4) but I just did that! So I tried re-doing the download and install but this time to my SSD. And it still shows I need to install the 12.4 update. I tried a reboot too. ahhh I'm frustrated.

The specific update it was attempting to do was AMD Catalyst 12.4 from AMD Catalyst 12.3
    And when I run the scan for updates it still says I should download the 12.4 one.
    Last edited by Ven9eance; 05-23-2012 at 08:29 PM.

the bottom tab of that screen (information/software), what does it say you have installed?

ud

It says Catalyst version 12.3

that was my only idea. have to leave it to the video techies!

ud

Give it a day and see if the update shows up in Windows Update and do it from there.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

There's already a known bug that some people experience when installing the 12.4 drivers in CCC.
    Even though 12.4 is actually installed on the system, under the details it can still show up as being 12.3.

I don't have this problem though.
    Check the thread in the Video forum.

Spoiler!

Exterior & Interior Modification & Care
    detailing - modifications - installations - maintenance
    http://edhilario.ca