Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Max Payne 3

Re: Max Payne 3

It took me like 2 days to download. I'll check it out tonight probably. I'm a little concerned considering the setting and that it isnt written by the same guy. I LOVED Max Payne and especially Max Payne 2. I really hope they didnt kill it...

Guess it helps to be objective, fair.

I've played the first two hours of Max Payne 3. It's got a really good story, but doesn't have the gritty noir hardboiled rouge detective thing that the first two had. This one is more like the Kane & Lynch games or the TV show Breaking Bad.

The controls are a bit different. You can tell this was developed for a console game. The character just doesn't move like a PC game. Sure, you have precision aiming with the mouse, but the WASD movement on the keyboard just feels sluggish, like it was intended to be used with an analog stick on a controller.

Max has hit rock bottom in this one, and he's addicted to the painkillers (health powerups from the first two games) and drinks amble amounts of whiskey or scotch too. To show that his brain is constantly scrambled on pills or alcohol, they have some sort of static visual effect that is constantly flickering during the cutscenes. Kind of annoying, though I know why they do it.

A pretty cool game though.

^^reading this review is like an emotional roller coaster in the very first paragraph:
    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I've played the first two hours of Max Payne 3. It's got a really good story
    Hurray!
    but doesn't have the gritty noir hardboiled rouge detective thing that the first two had.
    boo!
    This one is more like the Kane & Lynch games
    MEGABOO!
    or the TV show Breaking Bad.
    Yay!

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

The game is missing the gritty noir stuff and the comic book story panels. It's weird because Max still bitches about life like he did in the comic book stuff, but when it's set to full motion cutscenes, this old addict cop just kinda comes off like a punk just constantly bitching about stuff.

It's still good so far though.

The game is missing the gritty noir stuff and the comic book story panels. It's weird because Max still bitches about life like he did in the comic book stuff, but when it's set to full motion cutscenes, this old addict cop just kinda comes off like a punk just constantly bitching about stuff.

It's still good so far though.
    I completely agree with your findings. I played it up to like chapter 5 or something last night. It just doesn't have that gritty film noir feeling. I think theres too much colour, a lack of rain, and the music score is totally off. A lot of it just feels really forced. There is none of that feeling of what is real and what isnt, and that I dont know... ambience of the other games.

Don't get me wrong its a good game, im still enjoying it enough. Although the controls are horrrrible. Really needs mouse smoothing. I also find that I have to be in bullet time 100% of the time to survive anything.

Honestly, if it wasnt for the same voice actor it would feel like a totally different game series. If you hadn't played Max Payne before you would enjoy the game more I think.

wooowwww new gripe. The time between saves is retarded. Sometimes you kill like 3 guys and it saves. Other times you fight a 5 year war before it saves. I am getting really tired of redoing this dock scene..

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog View Post
    wooowwww new gripe. The time between saves is retarded. Sometimes you kill like 3 guys and it saves. Other times you fight a 5 year war before it saves. I am getting really tired of redoing this dock scene..
    Yeah, I had to redo that part about 5 times.

Another one I'll be waiting for to hit $20 it seems.

I finished it. It's pretty good, I guess. Cool story. Good shooting and action. My problem is that it doesn't seem like a Max Payne game. It's missing the dark noir stuff and the comic book cut scenes, so the tone is different. Plus, the gameplay is different, too. The first game was all about running around guys in circles while in BulletTime mode and also diving from side to side and backwards.

This game is basically a cover-based shooter. You can go into BulletTime and dive around like a John Woo movie in slow-mo, but you'll get all shot up. You really need to be in cover most of the time in my opinion.

The original Max Payne voice actor was back. I thought he was terrible in the first game, and okay in the second game, but he's really good in the third game. He has been taking voice acting classes or something in the 9 years since the last game. Probably my second favorite game of the year after Mass Effect 3 so far.

I finished it.
    How much play time?
    Have you tried multi-player?
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by IAmGhostDog View Post
    How much play time?
    Have you tried multi-player?
    Took me about 8 and a half hours. Didn't touch multiplayer. None of the mods really looked interesting.

In addition to the single player and multi-player, it has some "arcade" modes where you try to survive against waves of enemies as long as you can and other stuff like that. Some of that seemed fun.

I'm at the beginning of it, not bad.

Installing all 27GB of it right now....ridiculous.......................
    E3-1230v2/H100/P8Z77-LX
    4x4Gb GSkill 1866/R9 290X
    Sandisk ExtremeII 240GB/WD 1TB Black Spinner
    Lian Li Pc-7B plusII /OCZ 600W ModXStream/Z-5500's.[/I]

I found it to be somewhat amazing considering I thought it was going to be total crap since Remedy wasn't developing it. Story was good, Gameplay was good, Controls are ok since every euphoria game I end up getting stuck on some dumbass object and it kills me. Multiplayer is fun but it's just like a 3rd person Call of Duty with some interesting modes in gang wars.