Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Space 3

Dead Space 3

I think a lot of PC gamers shunned Dead Space 2 after the control problems the first game had, but both games were actually pretty good. EA officially announced Dead Space 3 today at E3 (although it had been leaked like a month ago).

Anybody excited for this one?

Re: Dead Space 3

Keen as usual, seems it's on the right track, they keep making it better.

People are complaining that this one looks too actiony, like Gears of War. I still think it could be scary. It's hard to show horror via a 2 minute trailer.

Oh noes, hope it isn't Dead Space of War. Want more slow parts and surprises/scares.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Oh noes, hope it isn't Dead Space of War. Want more slow parts and surprises/scares.
    Dead Space 2 was more action than Dead Space 1 but still had some scary parts. I think Dead Space 3 will be okay.

Needs to force players to move away from enemies, feel the fear by too many enemies however enemies should have good pace to allow player enough time to shoot back. Survival horror and action through and through and a winner is this game.

This game is now out.

I have it, but haven't had time to play it yet.

The DLC stuff sounds fairly disgusting. I've always been pro-DLC, if done well, because I don't see any difference between DLC and the old expansion packs. Even weapon packs for stuff like Fallout: Vegas or Saints Row 3 never bothered me.

But, EA has basically applied the "free iPhone game" style of extra paid content to the $60 Dead Space 3.

In DS3, I guess you have a little robot that will go out and collect parts for you for the crafting system. You can also craft new weapons/armor. The actual crafting system is getting good reviews, but you can basically pay a few bucks for some more crafting components, or you can pay to have the little savaging robot go faster or return with more stuff. It's basically the same as the stupid "coin doubler" "extra elixir" crap from free iPhone games or Mafia Wars or whatever on Facebook.

Again, I'm not one of these "All DLC is stuff cut from the game and stupid, herp derp!" people. I'm not even opposed to weapon packs because I've paid for some overpowered DLC weapons in stuff like Mass Effect 3. But I really don't want to be nickel and dimed on crafting components. This is a $60 retail game, not an 1980s arcade game. I'm not going to keep pumping the modern day equivalent of quarters into this thing. I mean, we all love Ms. Pac-Man, but come on.

Thankfully, reviewers say that you can complete the game without spending an extra dollar on that crap and they do give you crafting stuff in-game (albeit, at a very slow drizzle compared to if you buy it). Also, I haven't had time to dive into it yet, I'm just reacting to all the public zeitgeist about the DLC.

Also, I guess there are already some whispers about people using save game editors / memory hacking to basically give themselves all the crafting stuff you would ever need for the PC version. I kind of have to think about how I stand on that morally. As I've made clear in the past, I am opposed piracy, and I was opposed to even people using save editors to get access to the Collector's Edition extra weapons for Mass Effect 3 (which were included on the disc, just not accessible normally if you didn't buy the collector's N7 edition). But, EA has crossed my moral "DLC comfort" line with this nickle and dime crafting stuff and I have to think about how far I'm ethically willing to go to circumvent that. If it sounds like I'm in a moral quagmire (giggy giggy), I am.
    Last edited by Keven; 02-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    This game is now out.

I have it, but haven't had time to play it yet.

The DLC stuff sounds fairly disgusting. I've always been pro-DLC, if done well, because I don't see any difference between DLC and the old expansion packs. Even weapon packs for stuff like Fallout: Vegas or Saints Row 3 never bothered me.

But, EA has basically applied the "free iPhone game" style of extra paid content to the $60 Dead Space 3.

In DS3, I guess you have a little robot that will go out and collect parts for you for the crafting system. You can also craft new weapons/armor. The actual crafting system is getting good reviews, but you can basically pay a few bucks for some more crafting components, or you can pay to have the little savaging robot go faster or return with more stuff. It's basically the same as the stupid "coin doubler" "extra elixir" crap from free iPhone games or Mafia Wars or whatever on Facebook.
    Terrible. I absolutely hate that crap. If you're going to use the annoying F2P/PAY2WIN model, you NEED TO MAKE THE GAME FREE. I pay money up front to enjoy the game, not to be nickle and dimed at every turn. I accept that junk on stupid phone games because I don't pay for them and consider them the bottom of the gaming barrel. If this wasn't a family forum I would use some stronger words.

Again, I'm not one of these "All DLC is stuff cut from the game and stupid, herp derp!" people. I'm not even opposed to weapon packs because I've paid for some overpowered DLC weapons in stuff like Mass Effect 3. But I really don't want to be nickel and dimed on crafting components. This is a $60 retail game, not an 1980s arcade game. I'm not going to keep pumping the modern day equivalent of quarters into this thing. I mean, we all love Ms. Pac-Man, but come on.
    Yea, I agree with this. I think simple map packs often don't really justify the cost... I'd like more meat, but I think that "DLC" doesn't have to be a dirty word. Like you say, DLC can just be the "expansion packs" of yore distributed digitally.

Also, I guess there are already some whispers about people using save game editors / memory hacking to basically give themselves all the crafting stuff you would ever need for the PC version. I kind of have to think about how I stand on that morally. As I've made clear in the past, I am opposed piracy, and I was opposed to even people using save editors to get access to the Collector's Edition extra weapons for Mass Effect 3 (which were included on the disc, just not accessible normally if you didn't buy the collector's N7 edition). But, EA has crossed my moral "DLC comfort" line with this nickle and dime crafting stuff and I have to think about how far I'm ethically willing to go to circumvent that. If it sounds like I'm in a moral quagmire (giggy giggy), I am.
    I have no problem with any of that. Cheating/Hacking PvP games is one thing, but when I'm playing SP, its all fair game. Sometimes I prefer cheating my way through a SP game. To that end, on-disc DLC seems like fair game. I bought the disk, you gave me the files, I should be allowed to screw with them as much as I want short of using them for personal financial gain or redistribution. I don't see how that could even be considered a moral gray area. We aren't even talking about pirating files that you would only be "physically" given if you paid for it. If I buy a bottle of laundry detergent with a locked special second compartment that contains collector's edition green detergent instead of blue, I don't throw the bottle away, I crack that baby open and use the detergent.
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 02-06-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Played part of the demo and it was pretty cool. I didn't care that I had to sign up for Origin to play a demo, but, I'm sure I'll have to eventually.

I'll keep it on my short list for 2013 like Bioshock: Infinite.

ive always had issues with the way software licensing is being handled. software companies have been given way to much control. its like buying a tv and the manufacturer telling you that you can only watch certain channels, at certain, times and only for so much time.

i know theres a durango thread but this is sort of relevant to my point. i guess ill post it there too if someone hasn't already.

http://kotaku.com/5982097/report-the...ock-used-games

EA, you are FREAKING KILLING ME.

$15 is too much for a weapon/armor pack. If this was $5, I would jump on it. If it was $10, I would jump on it. $15 for non-story extra DLC content makes me stop and think.

In other news, I've played one hour of Dead Space 3. It's really cool. It's not really a horror game, but more like a sci-fi third-person shooter, but they do some cool stuff in the first hour.

Shotguns rather badass later. I recommend it.

EA, you are FREAKING KILLING ME.

$15 is too much for a weapon/armor pack. If this was $5, I would jump on it. If it was $10, I would jump on it. $15 for non-story extra DLC content makes me stop and think.

In other news, I've played one hour of Dead Space 3. It's really cool. It's not really a horror game, but more like a sci-fi third-person shooter, but they do some cool stuff in the first hour.
    Lemme know what ya think when ur done. I was really put off by the control crap in DS. I never did get is sorted out but still have it in Steam. Shelved it as POS console port I'll never play. Looked cool.. did not deliver.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Shotguns rather badass later. I recommend it.
    I have been dominating with my home made pulse rifle.

The crafting stuff is cool but all the "homemade" weapons look like crap.

It's because of the boom sound and gibs about it if it finds a suitable target. Could do some rata tat tat.