Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nov 2011

Re: GPU overclocking tips?

If the OP is using MSI Afterburner to oc his gpu ULPS must be disabled, as I stated early in this thread.

---> Use MSI afterburner and turn ULPS off. To do so:

Go to registry and disable Ulps:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control \\Class\\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

and change "EnableUlps" to 0 under the 0000 and 0001 and 0003 keys.

Running dual (CF) ati cards I've read about this occurring on many sites. This is the first I've read about a single gpu reverting back to ultra low power state WHILE gaming or benchmarking. If disabling ULPS via the registry can't alleviate the problem I doubt it can be fixed by a user. RMA time.
    Last edited by Mountain Mania; 06-14-2012 at 07:27 AM.

Nov 2002
    In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Re: GPU overclocking tips?

Quote Originally Posted by PinetreeRoad930 View Post
    I've recently been reading lots of articles, guides, ect. about GPU overclocking and i'm coming off a bit confused. Most everything i read people suggest the same or very similar stress test tools. However in my case the tools don't seem to stress my GPU at all, for example. Using FurMark or Kombustor will get 99% utilization, and my GPU will get hot, but the clock speed doesn't max out or stay stable even at stock clock speeds. The clocks seem to jump around everywhere in between the low power clocks (500MHz) and the 3d clocks (940MHz) quite often. I have found the Tessmark and ONLY one test in Kombustor will stress my GPU quite a bit, however stable overclocks in those applications don't seem to apply to real world usage like gaming. A seemingly stable overclock with tools, isn't stable in my games. BF3 and Crysis 2 lock up and the screen either goes black or will have a kind of pinstripe design on the screen that had the game. I have been slowly raising the voltages and launching BF3, and i am seeing progress, ie: i get farther and farther each time i restart. But there has to be a better way, waiting for Origin to launch and launch Chrome and then launch the game, and then wait for the level to load. It obviously is extremely time consuming. Is there a better tool? Is there a better way?
    I'm running a R6970 Lightning, btw
    That happens cause modern video cards have built in VRM protection that know when Kombustor or Furmark are running and they throttle down. Hence they literally suck for stability testing, even years ago before the throttling they still were not reliable stability tests. All they are good for is heating you case up.... The best way to test OC is with a modern game, BF3 is what I was using. Or a benchmark like Unigine Heaven if you want to leave something running overnight. They will both run at max clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mania View Post
    I don't know what 3rd party software you're using to oc. I use Sapphire Trixx and that problem you mentioned has never occurred. Make sure ULPS (Ultra low power state) is disabled among the options you see!
    ULPS only really needs to be disabled with crossfire setups.
    Quote Originally Posted by PinetreeRoad930 View Post
    I think the tests arent stressing my card.
    When i play a game, bf3 for example my clock speeds stay stable (940MHz by default)
    However when i run Kombustor or a similar stress test, it doesn't max out my clock speeds. It will go to like 800MHz then to 600MHz and will jump back up to 900-ish an this will all be happening very quickly.
    After stressing, the graph for my core clock speeds in afterburner, reminds me of a framerate graph. It goes up and down that often and quickly.
    But when i play any game that is even slightly stress full, my clock speeds will stay stable and never change.
    Like I said forget about kombustor or furmark. Use BF3 itself to test the OCs.