Angry Thanks for nothing....

Here's a few tidbits required for this:

Fact: My wife is pregnant. She's 38 weeks, so technically full term.
    Fact: The coming OB appointment will involve internal checks for dialation.
    Fact: My mother-in-law said she'd watch the other two over the weekend (and also watch the dog).
    Fact: Dr. said he may induce if wife is dialated at all.
    Fact: My parents are planning to be out of town part of the weekend.
    Fact: M-I-L complains she doesn't get to see our kids, but she's over at my sister-in-law (my wife's sister).

So, yesterday, my wife is texting her sister and finds out that this Friday, she's going to a college to register for some weekend classes. Due to the distance, this could be an all-day event. Last week, we knew nothing of this, but we had told her and MIL that this coming Friday might be when my wife would be admitted to have the baby.

What we've learned is that, even in a dire circumstance, no matter how piddly SIL's thing is (not bashing education, I think it's great) more important that whatever we might need.

So, right now, I'm trying to cover not just children I have right now, but also try and get someone familiarized with a dog who knows my MIL

My wife has always been second in favortism, but this just kills me. I've been there for the past two births and there's no way in hell I'm missing this one.

Re: Thanks for nothing....

Did you ask the mother-in-law straight out if they could reschedule the college thing in favor of watching the kids and dog?

We tried. My sister in law essentially refuses to use anybody else but her mom to watch her kids. Her boyfriend works, so we wonder why she can't have him watch the kids.
    Secondly, she runs a daycare at her house and was cashing in one of her vacation days. (Sorry, but childcare workers are allowed days off).

Call that M-I-L out on her preference and simply tell your wife her rather be with her sister than her. It tends to work and shuts the MIL up.

^^Pretty much.

In my experience, it really doesn't pay to stay silent when people are walking all over you or putting your needs second to theirs. The birth of your child is a once in a lifetime event that's hardly worth missing, and if it's that important to you, than it's your duty to speak up.
    People will walk all over you for as long as you allow them, especially in laws. So the best thing is to put an end to it sooner rather than later.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.