Angry Ridiculous, just plain frustrating and ridiculous...

After many hours of game play my Skyrim blew out. It started with some hangs when I was in Solitude after about 30 minutes of play. The only way out was a hard reset or to hit the power button. I tried to start the game tonight and it hung up on the loading screen (right after the 'continue' screen). There was motion on the screen (the usual stuff you see while waiting to load your previous game), but it never advanced to the game. The Windows Task Manager reported the game as 'Not Responding'. I killed the game and then I tried verifying the local content. and it couldn't find any problems. At least it didn't report any. After running that I tried starting the game again and it had to re-setup my video setting, then it launched the game. It got to the same place that it did before, and it hung up again. I again had to kill it through TM where is was again 'Not Responding'. This time I just went into propertied and told steam to delete local content. I'm dl'ing the game now. My (too late) thoughts about this now is: Will I lose all of my progress? I don't know if steam deleted my saved games. I was level 42 and I really wasn't ready to start over. Does anyone know?

100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

Re: Ridiculous, just plain frustrating and ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by tlemaste View Post
    After many hours of game play my Skyrim blew out. It started with some hangs when I was in Solitude after about 30 minutes of play. The only way out was a hard reset or to hit the power button. I tried to start the game tonight and it hung up on the loading screen (right after the 'continue' screen). There was motion on the screen (the usual stuff you see while waiting to load your previous game), but it never advanced to the game. The Windows Task Manager reported the game as 'Not Responding'. I killed the game and then I tried verifying the local content. and it couldn't find any problems. At least it didn't report any. After running that I tried starting the game again and it had to re-setup my video setting, then it launched the game. It got to the same place that it did before, and it hung up again. I again had to kill it through TM where is was again 'Not Responding'. This time I just went into propertied and told steam to delete local content. I'm dl'ing the game now. My (too late) thoughts about this now is: Will I lose all of my progress? I don't know if steam deleted my saved games. I was level 42 and I really wasn't ready to start over. Does anyone know?
    it shouldn't destroy your save games. Did you try reloading an older save game?

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Steam Cloud should have your saved game data in the cloud assuming you didn't disable it.

Also check C:\Users\(Username)\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Saves where (Username) = your username

this is where skyrim saves locally.

Anybody hear from Tom? Did he fix his problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Anybody hear from Tom? Did he fix his problem?
    Nope, nobody's heard from me. I think I'm too busy with Skyrim and BF3.

Thanks to you both. I was able to find my saved games. And I had to go to a previous save in order to continue playing. But, all it good now.

Thanks again,

Tom

Yw

I have to say that I've made it a habit for years to save all my game save files elsewhere - at least once a day for the current game(s). I'm sure the Steam cloud saves are fine, but I don't trust any system I don't control myself, and I certainly don't trust my own C:\ drive: years of overclocking have taught me that. So have all the saved games saved to my D:\ drive, which is a RAID 1 system. It's not paranoia if the computer really is out to get you...

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    I have to say that I've made it a habit for years to save all my game save files elsewhere - at least once a day for the current game(s). I'm sure the Steam cloud saves are fine, but I don't trust any system I don't control myself, and I certainly don't trust my own C:\ drive: years of overclocking have taught me that. So have all the saved games saved to my D:\ drive, which is a RAID 1 system. It's not paranoia if the computer really is out to get you...

M
    That's a habit I really should adopt. The only thing I want on my C drive is the operating system. Do you use Windoze Backup/Restore to automatically save certain files/folders?

That's a habit I really should adopt. The only thing I want on my C drive is the operating system. Do you use Windoze Backup/Restore to automatically save certain files/folders?
    Tom,

With windows 7 you can change the "default save" location to not be on the primary drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Tom,

With windows 7 you can change the "default save" location to not be on the primary drive.

Necessary tip for anybody with an SSD! Got to keep Windows from saving all sorts of junk to your boot drive!

Nah, just do it manually after a game session. Once a week I back up the RAID array onto an external drive using SyncToy.