Thread: New Monitor

Cool New Monitor

I'm doing a little upgrading of my system and now it is the monitors turn. I'm thinking of a 27 " but there seems to be quite a number of them and some are back-lite while others are not, help me choose a new monitor!!

Re: New Monitor

The monitor AMD_Activate bought (an S-IPS made in Korea that does 2560 x 1440) is the best "bang for buck" 27" IPS available today.)

Microcenters sell a version of it as well.

"Catleap" I think its called or another variant is the Achieva "Simian".

The panels inside these Korean monitors are LG. They range from $300 to about $360 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Mania View Post
    The monitor Activate: AMD (FTFY)bought (an S-IPS made in Korea that does 2560 x 1440) is the best "bang for buck" 27" IPS available today.)

Microcenters sell a version of it as well.

"Catleap" I think its called or another variant is the Achieva "Simian".

The panels inside these Korean monitors are LG. They range from $300 to about $360 or so.
    Its a sweet monitor, the high resolution is incredible and the price tag was unbelievable (I paid closer to $400 but they've actually come down a decent amount). There are a number of different varients but they're all LG "A-" panels. The only differences are in the housing (stand function/aesthetics) and some models have multiple inputs. The cheapest ones only have DL-DVI and lack a scaler, but this is often desirable because it reduces input lag.

Other than that monitor i'm not too familiar with the 27" market. I'm sure there are 1080P TN panels that come cheaper, but at the cost of poorer color accuracy and viewing angles. The plus side for those monitors might be that the larger pixel pitch makes text reading easier since 2560x1440 results in smaller text. Of course, you can force text scaling in the OS to improve that.

Is there any specific criteria you're looking for that might help us make recommendations?

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Here's a thread for Powerhungry to read through, if he's on the market for a 27":

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2241326

Microcenters version (has a built in scalar on this model): http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0384780
    Last edited by Mountain Mania; 06-18-2012 at 12:10 PM.

The link to Microcenters state store only I would like height adjustment as well. I need an online link!!
    Last edited by PowerHungry; 06-18-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerHungry View Post
    The link to Microcenters state store only I would like height adjustment as well. I need an online link!!
    The normal route for purchase is via e-bay. The primary sellers are very professional and I received my monitor in 6 days shipped from South Korea at the beginning of the rush when the sellers were getting overwhelmed. here is a 2800 reply thread over at [H] about them that should give you a better idea:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

Some of the monitors have height adjustment, but the other thing to consider is that if you get one with a VESA mount, you can always add an inexpensive stand after the fact from someplace like Monoprice

Do you plan on gaming with it at all?

Trust me, I do science

Cool Re: New Monitor

Not really, but if you look at my specs, you'll see that the monitor is the weak link.

Not really, but if you look at my specs, you'll see that the monitor is the weak link.
    yea i should have checked because I was going to say that the requirements to drive 1440p are noticeably higher than 1080p when gaming... but a 580 isn't going to have any issue.

I have this one and its $290 right now on e-bay
    . The stand is kind of crappy and you can't get at the VESA mount without cracking the case or dremeling off this stupid plastic arch on the back, but damn is it a great panel for that price!

nice rig you've got yourself there BTW

Trust me, I do science

Cool Re: New Monitor

I saw that unit when I searched for Catleap, the only problem is it would take three to four weeks to get to me. At 70, I don't like to wait more that a couple of days f
    or anything
    Last edited by PowerHungry; 06-18-2012 at 04:29 PM.

I saw that unit when I searched for Catleap, the only problem is it would take three to four weeks to get to me. At 70, I don't like to wait more that a couple of days f
    or anything
    Its expedited shipping, so even though they say up to mid July, its more commonly a few days to a week.

EDIT: I was just looking at the Ebay listing again and its even more hilariously over-the-top than before
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 06-18-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Trust me, I do science

Are you within 100 miles of a Microcenter? A Dell S-IPS of 27" that does 2560 x 1440 will set you back $1,000.

Its worth the drive if you really need a 27".....

+ the Catleap types have glossy screens (similar to Apple displays). It makes the image quality even sharper.

No,

I live in the Northeast, good old RI, where 38 Studios went bust!!