Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cool Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

Water is wet, the sun is hot, and it's dark at night.

I know this may offend some people, but I can assure you that the above are 100% true statements, if you happen to disagree please respond civilly so we can have in intelligent discussion on these matters.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    Water is wet
    I disagree. If we define "wet" as being liquid, then water isn't "wet" if it's ice or water vapor.

it's dark at night
    I disagree. At the extreme north and south poles, it can be daytime for 24 hours a day during certain times of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I disagree. If we define "wet" as being liquid, then water isn't "wet" if it's ice or water vapor.
    When water is a vapor, the air becomes wet.... and solid ice would be defined as a solid until it begins to melt.

Water is still wet!

I disagree. At the extreme north and south poles, it can be daytime for 24 hours a day during certain times of the year.
    But the polar regions will have periods of increased light and darkness during their 24+hr periods of light and dark.

Or it can be looked at as a really really long day followed by a really long night. either way it is dark at night.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

When water is a vapor, the air becomes wet.... and solid ice would be defined as a solid until it begins to melt.

Water is still wet!
    But in a strictly scientific sense, "wet" means liquid. Water vapor doesn't make the atmosphere "more wet". From Wikipedia:

Formally, humid air is not "moist air" but a mixture of water vapor and other constituents of air.
    But the polar regions will have periods of increased light and darkness during their 24+hr periods of light and dark.

Or it can be looked at as a really really long day followed by a really long night. either way it is dark at night.
    Ok, I will concede that "night" means when the sun is down.

But in a strictly scientific sense, "wet" means liquid. Water vapor doesn't make the atmosphere "more wet". From Wikipedia:

Ok, I will concede that "night" means when the sun is down.

Bah! Wikipedia is biased and any bozo can type in whatever they want and you'll believe it. Do your own research. I did my own, and it took 30 years of painstakingly researching answers.yahoo.com to come up with my conclusions.

You should also check out this guy, he knows alot which is almost as much as me.

What!!!!

Where do you come up with these videos?

But in a strictly scientific sense, "wet" means liquid.
    Strictly, only a liquid can be wet, but not all liquids are wet - mercury is not, for example. It's the short description of a property of liquids describing how they interact with clean solids. If the surface layer is attracted more to the solid it is in contact with than to itself, then it wet (a meniscus curves up), if it has strongly attraction to itself (meniscus curves down) then it is not wet. So yes, water is wet.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Strictly, only a liquid can be wet, but not all liquids are wet - mercury is not, for example. It's the short description of a property of liquids describing how they interact with clean solids. If the surface layer is attracted more to the solid it is in contact with than to itself, then it wet (a meniscus curves up), if it has strongly attraction to itself (meniscus curves down) then it is not wet. So yes, water is wet.

M
    Sort of. In the context of things like hard surface cleaners, we generally use the term "wetting" to refer to the ability of water to spread over a surface. A surface can be "wetted" better when the contact angle of water droplets is lower, which can be accomplished by including things like surfactants. Alternatively, you can increase the contact angle through treatments that renders the surface hydrophobic so the water beads up on it. Fluorination is the classic one, and the basis for Scotchgard.

so in conclusion, water is not "wet". wetness is a function of the interaction between the liquid and the surface that is being contacted

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

"Intellectual Research"

That's hilarious....

Have you ever been in a city at night ? I would not say its all dark ...

I heard that only the master of the internet can find them....

This thread got real weird real quick.

I therefore declare victory