Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Obamaland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,520

    Cool Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Water is wet, the sun is hot, and it's dark at night.

    I know this may offend some people, but I can assure you that the above are 100% true statements, if you happen to disagree please respond civilly so we can have in intelligent discussion on these matters.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

  2. #2
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    Water is wet
    I disagree. If we define "wet" as being liquid, then water isn't "wet" if it's ice or water vapor.

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    it's dark at night
    I disagree. At the extreme north and south poles, it can be daytime for 24 hours a day during certain times of the year.

  3. #3
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Obamaland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,520

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I disagree. If we define "wet" as being liquid, then water isn't "wet" if it's ice or water vapor.
    When water is a vapor, the air becomes wet.... and solid ice would be defined as a solid until it begins to melt.

    Water is still wet!

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    I disagree. At the extreme north and south poles, it can be daytime for 24 hours a day during certain times of the year.
    But the polar regions will have periods of increased light and darkness during their 24+hr periods of light and dark.

    Or it can be looked at as a really really long day followed by a really long night. either way it is dark at night.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

  4. #4
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    When water is a vapor, the air becomes wet.... and solid ice would be defined as a solid until it begins to melt.

    Water is still wet!
    But in a strictly scientific sense, "wet" means liquid. Water vapor doesn't make the atmosphere "more wet". From Wikipedia:

    Formally, humid air is not "moist air" but a mixture of water vapor and other constituents of air.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    But the polar regions will have periods of increased light and darkness during their 24+hr periods of light and dark.

    Or it can be looked at as a really really long day followed by a really long night. either way it is dark at night.
    Ok, I will concede that "night" means when the sun is down.

  5. #5
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Obamaland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,520

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    But in a strictly scientific sense, "wet" means liquid. Water vapor doesn't make the atmosphere "more wet". From Wikipedia:





    Ok, I will concede that "night" means when the sun is down.

    Bah! Wikipedia is biased and any bozo can type in whatever they want and you'll believe it. Do your own research. I did my own, and it took 30 years of painstakingly researching answers.yahoo.com to come up with my conclusions.

    You should also check out this guy, he knows alot which is almost as much as me.

    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

  6. #6
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    What!!!!

    Where do you come up with these videos?

  7. #7
    Joined
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Vvardenfell
    Age
    53
    Posts
    10,796

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    But in a strictly scientific sense, "wet" means liquid.
    Strictly, only a liquid can be wet, but not all liquids are wet - mercury is not, for example. It's the short description of a property of liquids describing how they interact with clean solids. If the surface layer is attracted more to the solid it is in contact with than to itself, then it wet (a meniscus curves up), if it has strongly attraction to itself (meniscus curves down) then it is not wet. So yes, water is wet.


    M

  8. #8
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    10,660

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Quote Originally Posted by Meridian View Post
    Strictly, only a liquid can be wet, but not all liquids are wet - mercury is not, for example. It's the short description of a property of liquids describing how they interact with clean solids. If the surface layer is attracted more to the solid it is in contact with than to itself, then it wet (a meniscus curves up), if it has strongly attraction to itself (meniscus curves down) then it is not wet. So yes, water is wet.


    M
    Sort of. In the context of things like hard surface cleaners, we generally use the term "wetting" to refer to the ability of water to spread over a surface. A surface can be "wetted" better when the contact angle of water droplets is lower, which can be accomplished by including things like surfactants. Alternatively, you can increase the contact angle through treatments that renders the surface hydrophobic so the water beads up on it. Fluorination is the classic one, and the basis for Scotchgard.

    so in conclusion, water is not "wet". wetness is a function of the interaction between the liquid and the surface that is being contacted


    Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

  9. #9
    Joined
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,846

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    "Intellectual Research"

    That's hilarious....

  10. #10
    Joined
    May 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,125

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    Have you ever been in a city at night ? I would not say its all dark ...

  11. #11
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Obamaland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,520

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    I heard that only the master of the internet can find them....

  12. #12
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....


  13. #13
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Obamaland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,520

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

  14. #14
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,010

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    This thread got real weird real quick.

  15. #15
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Obamaland
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9,520

    Re: Things that I have conluded in my 30 years of intellectual research....

    I therefore declare victory
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •