Gateway linux distros?

My ClearOS based Linux gateway is giving me problems. They've updated to a different base distro and forced me to reformat - blowing away all of my customizations, most of the unimportant stuff is done through a GUI, it's atrociously slow, glitchy, popping up error messages, and doing so in VMs on other systems as well as on an actual computer.

I have a Server 2008 R2 system on a C2D with 5 gigs of usable RAM. I have no idea how to use Server 2008 R2, but I've learned that I can run a virtual machine of a Linux gateway OS, disable all but the bridge protocols for the external NIC so Server 2008 R2 isn't listening to the external NIC but the Linux gateway OS is, and profit.

http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html is what I'm using and wanting to migrate off of now. I would love to jump on to another Linux distro with similar features, but I can virtualize any distro that has active intrusion detection/prevention and a DHCP server rolled in to it. What do you all suggest?
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Re: Gateway linux distros?

Personally I'd use pfSense

http://www.pfsense.com/

There are other alternatives, smoothwall and monowall come to mind

Re: Gateway linux distros?

I like what I'm seeing with pfSense. It looks like I can put Snort on it with no problem.

Really wish I didn't have to put this Windows rig up on front of my network. Even if only the bridging to the Internet-facing interface is enabled, I'm afraid it's still much more vulnerable than a dedicated Linux appliance.
    My heatware

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.