Do I need a router?

Here's the situation:

I've got Cox Digital Cable/Internet using a Motorola SBV52222 Modem and until recently, I only had my laptop hooked up via an ethernet cable and everything worked fine. Yesterday I added a PS3 to my setup and attempted to connect it to the modem. Being that the modem only has 1 ethernet port, I simply removed the ethernet cable which runs to my laptop and plugged in an ethernet cable that leads to my PS3. Long story short, the PS3 would not connect, as it was unable to even attain an IP address. After several conversations with both Sony and Cox tech support, I was able to get it connected by resetting the modem. However, when unplugging the PS3 ethernet and reconnecting the laptop, again, no internet connection until I once again reset the modem. The Cox tech support said if I purchase a switch then it would solve this problem. So I did just that, and I'm running into the same issue: the modem will only connect to one device at a time. It tends to prioritize the connection to the laptop instead of the PS3, but like I said it will not connect to both simultaneously. All the connectivity lights on the switch are illuminated indicating that all devices are receiving connection. I'm not sure if the PS3 and laptop use different "connection types" or what but I've never encountered this problem before. It's always been simple as plug and play. Do I require a router to get connection to both devices simultaneously?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Re: Do I need a router?

Quote Originally Posted by rocca1290 View Post
    Here's the situation:

I've got Cox Digital Cable/Internet using a Motorola SBV52222 Modem and until recently, I only had my laptop hooked up via an ethernet cable and everything worked fine. Yesterday I added a PS3 to my setup and attempted to connect it to the modem. Being that the modem only has 1 ethernet port, I simply removed the ethernet cable which runs to my laptop and plugged in an ethernet cable that leads to my PS3. Long story short, the PS3 would not connect, as it was unable to even attain an IP address. After several conversations with both Sony and Cox tech support, I was able to get it connected by resetting the modem. However, when unplugging the PS3 ethernet and reconnecting the laptop, again, no internet connection until I once again reset the modem. The Cox tech support said if I purchase a switch then it would solve this problem. So I did just that, and I'm running into the same issue: the modem will only connect to one device at a time. It tends to prioritize the connection to the laptop instead of the PS3, but like I said it will not connect to both simultaneously. All the connectivity lights on the switch are illuminated indicating that all devices are receiving connection. I'm not sure if the PS3 and laptop use different "connection types" or what but I've never encountered this problem before. It's always been simple as plug and play. Do I require a router to get connection to both devices simultaneously?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
    To answer your question yes, you need a router

Yes you need a router:

Why the switch doesnt work-

The cable modem assigns 1 IP to the switch-

Your laptop and the ps3 are fighting for the internet connection and most likely the first connected device recieves the connection from the switch to the cablemodem.

The cablemodem can see that your ps3 wanting the internet too but because you only pay for one IP (it used to be if you purchased cox's corporate speed you also were given 2 IP's) - Only the first connected device will work.

Why the router works.

The router works because it has a DHCP server built into it to assign IP addresses to each port on the fly. A switch does not do this. It knows where the packets are coming from and where to send them to unlike a HUB but the cablemodem can only have one device active for internet through the switch.

Why use a switch? Well if you just wanted to connect like 5 computers to a home network or business network and did not actually need ANY of them to connect to the Internet- Than a switch would be cheaper and more cost effective.

Routers are a bit more expensive than a switch but not too much more and you don't need a fancy one.

I just wanted to elaborate a bit on why you need a router. And the cox guy that said you needed a switch .. call him back and tell him to buy it from you.

It sounds like your Cable Modem is in bridge mode. And your Cable Company only gives/allows you one IP Address/Mac Address with your service. If your Cable Modem has more then one LAN port. You could turn-off the bridge mode and use NAT in the Modem. And plug your stuff into the other LAN ports.

Or

A Router WAN port would be the one Address. And you would then connect your other machines to one of it's LAN ports. Be sure you have NAT turned on. LOL...

Bruce :-)
    Last edited by brucehobson; 11-21-2015 at 03:25 PM.