standard vga adapter being a pain

hey guys i have a problem, thats why i registerd on this website. i hope you guys can help me out ok here we go:

i bought a laptop its an lenovo edge thinkpad E525, (graphic card Radeon hd 6480 G, windows7 64 bit)

i bought the laptop and after 2 weeks motherboard broke. we send it to repair and got it back. installed windows 7 again and here is the problem.

the graphic card driver says standard vga adapter.

i have downloaded several drivers and none of them replaced the vga adapter. i tried deleting vga and after reboot it instals it automaticly(even in save mode) i tried this to, i read it on other forum but i got an error that the windows version isnt right for it for that driver.(yes windows is legal)

this is what i tried:

Right click your card in device manager, choose update driver software. Browse. Let me pick. Have disk. Browse. Choose CL_83742.inf in

C:\ATI\Support\9-10_vista32_win7_32_dd_ccc_wdm_enu\Driver\Packages\Drivers\Display\W7_INF

If it complains the driver is not signed, let it install anyway. Reboot and then choose an Aero theme by rt clicking desktop, choose personalize.

that is an example of what i tried but when i get to install it in that way i get an error that my windows isnt right. can someone please help me out im trying for hours. and nothing seem to work im getting crazy

regards
    Last edited by material; 07-12-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Re: standard vga adapter being a pain

It looks like you tried to install the 32 bit driver instead of the x64 driver

Usually better to get get drivers from laptop manf than video manf.
    Lenovo has amd muxless drivers
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/default.page?
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

no they were certanly the right system. they were 64 bit. because i was desperate and tried 32 bit aswell. when i tried the 32 bit i got a diffrent error then i used the 64 bit. also the 32 bit drivers were automaticly placed in a diffrent folder.

and i have tried it from lenovo site but same failure. same error

i reinstalled winodows 7 today. and yet again standard vga adapter . tried to instal the radeon hd 6480G from lenovo site. everything works except the graphic card driver. it stays on vga i really dont know anymore

Because you laptop has switchable graphics...

You NEED the download from lenovo to properly implement it. (Linked above)

You also probably need the chipset drivers.

Doesn't lenovo have a recovery option on hidden partition to reinstall windows back to original factory settings ?
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

ok i downloaded the driver from lenovo site already. im going to try with the chipset.

and im not sure about lenovo recovery i have to look up that idea. thnx for the tips

Just to add to CMB's answer: what he is referring to is the "Recovery Disk" CD/DVD that should have come with the laptop when you bought it. This, combined with the hidden partition (it won't show on Windows Explorer, but usually will in Computer Management) allows the computer to be restored to factory installation. But... it means completely to that state: everything you've put on it - programs, files, everything - will be erased. Think very carefully before you go that way. Before you do that, I'd try uninstalling the video drivers as much as you can, then asking Windows to look for new drivers.

If you don't have the CD, then you may not be able to do the reset. AFAIK you can't do it from the partition alone (that just tells the system which bits of the CD to use), but you may be able to get either a download or a disk out of Lenovo. But that's still very much a last resort.

M

problem is fixed afters hours of trying and research hehe.

i read a few times people used devicedoctor (progrom that looks for uninstalled drivers /hidden drivers) it detected the vga with that program it downloaded a driver that actually replaced the vga. seems that program over rule the vga adapter.. thnx for ur comments i appreciate it