Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Battlefield 4

Battlefield 4

http://www.vg247.com/2012/07/17/batt...nfirmed-by-ea/

Here's what we know, I will do my best to keep this updated.

• The Battlefield 4 beta will take place in “fall 2013.”
    • The timing appears to suggest the game will ship in late 2013: the expected launch timing for next-gen consoles.

Can't say I'm that interested at this point, most of my gaming time is filled with lots of DayZ (zombie mod for ARMA 2 that is blowing up right now.)

Re: Battlefield 4

Hmmm, so, it looks like EA will annualize Battlefield like Activision did with COD.

Can't say I'm happy about the fact they're calling it Battlefield 4.

If they do an annual shooter (as much as I despite the idea), they should keep it with the Bad Company franchise. Smaller multiplayer maps. The numbered Battlefield games (Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, etc. etc.) should be only produced once every 5 years or so or with every hardware generation and should be a massive big deal.

I'm more interested in a Battlefield 2143.

As an aside I wish they would fix the stupid server lag. I'm so tired of getting shot around corners and behind cover. I realize BF3 has an enormous amount of game data to pass back and forth but still I'm reminded almost every time I play how much the lag ruins the experience for me.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Hmmm, so, it looks like EA will annualize Battlefield like Activision did with COD.

Can't say I'm happy about the fact they're calling it Battlefield 4.

If they do an annual shooter (as much as I despite the idea), they should keep it with the Bad Company franchise. Smaller multiplayer maps. The numbered Battlefield games (Battlefield 2, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, etc. etc.) should be only produced once every 5 years or so or with every hardware generation and should be a massive big deal.
    Its not being annualized, they're keeping their release schedule consistent with the last few releases, which have been on a 2 year timetable. (do the math, fall 2013 is 2 years from BF3 release). While I guess theres no reason that they couldn't do something where "Battlefields" are "major"* releases while "Bad Company" becomes the "filler", theres actually no real precedent for it. Battlefield has always been a fairly regular franchise, with major releases occurring consistently throughout the history since 2002 (every 1-2 years). Actually, that would make even less sense since Bad Company was born as their console franchise, so doing so really would be more of a copy of CoD. I'm not sure why you'd suggest that, the last thing we need is a trend in that direction.

*You might argue that BF:V or 2142 don't constitute as "major" but I'd disagree since they're not expansion packs like Special Forces or Armored Fury were.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    I'm more interested in a Battlefield 2143.
    while I will never understand your love (IMO unfounded) for that game, theres nothing saying that BF4 won't be a futuristic shooter ala 2143

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    *You might argue that BF:V or 2142 don't constitute as "major" but I'd disagree since they're not expansion packs like Special Forces or Armored Fury were.
    I guess that's where we disagree. I don't consider Vietnam, 2142 or the Bad Company games to be "mainline" Battlefield games. In the case of the Bad Company games, they had a smaller scale and less of an emphasis on vehicles (no airplanes, whatever). I think Vietnam and BF2142 could have been expansion packs for 1942. I mean, look at what they did with BC2 and BC2: Vietnam.

I don't care if they release BC3 or whatever whatever but I would wait a few years before coming out with a "Battlefield 4".

Actually, maybe this means we'll see the new consoles out by holiday 2013 and maybe BF4 will be a big field battlefield release with 64 v 64 players, since I assume the new Xbox and PlayStation will be able to handle that. Hmmmmm...... Or maybe they'll do what that MMOG game "Mag" did on the PS3 and have 128 v 128 player matches.

while I will never understand your love (IMO unfounded) for that game, theres nothing saying that BF4 won't be a futuristic shooter ala 2143
    Yeah. Especially if BLOPS2 with its "near sci-fi" theme takes off. EA may want to bring back the laser guns and mechs.

Right now, the only thing that will make this a sure buy for me is day one mod support. I will NOT buy this game without it.

I guess that's where we disagree. I don't consider Vietnam, 2142 or the Bad Company games to be "mainline" Battlefield games. In the case of the Bad Company games, they had a smaller scale and less of an emphasis on vehicles (no airplanes, whatever). I think Vietnam and BF2142 could have been expansion packs for 1942. I mean, look at what they did with BC2 and BC2: Vietnam.

I don't care if they release BC3 or whatever whatever but I would wait a few years before coming out with a "Battlefield 4".

Actually, maybe this means we'll see the new consoles out by holiday 2013 and maybe BF4 will be a big field battlefield release with 64 v 64 players, since I assume the new Xbox and PlayStation will be able to handle that. Hmmmmm...... Or maybe they'll do what that MMOG game "Mag" did on the PS3 and have 128 v 128 player matches.

Yeah. Especially if BLOPS2 with its "near sci-fi" theme takes off. EA may want to bring back the laser guns and mechs.

so what exactly is your criteria for a "mainline" bf game?

Quote Originally Posted by CTUnit1 View Post
    Right now, the only thing that will make this a sure buy for me is day one mod support. I will NOT buy this game without it.
    well then, prepare to save yourself some money
    Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    so what exactly is your criteria for a "mainline" bf game?
    Indeed, I'm not sure what constitutes a "mainline" release.. is it a new engine? Is it a new IP or major overhaul? I think 1942, Vietnam, BF2, 2142, BC1*, BC2, BF3 all easily qualify under one or more of those criteria. They were clearly NOT marketed as expansion packs, so they deserve to be considered "mainline" releases. Following that logic, BF4 is on a similar timetable, so theres really no reason to complain.

*Still may be debatable since it was not on PC

Trust me, I do science

They don't want to talk about it. I'm going to assume it's better in some way.

I can see it now........ BATTLEFIELD VIETNAM 2!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
    If it isn't this, I'll be sooooo sad

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by frogmeat69 View Post
    We already had that! It was BC2: Vietnam and because of you, frogmeat, nobody here wanted to play it! Damn you, frogmeat!

We already had that! It was BC2: Vietnam and because of you, frogmeat, nobody here wanted to play it! Damn you, frogmeat!
    I can't even remember if this is true!

I thought it was kind of cool, but the huey was overpowered and nobody else really cared for it

Trust me, I do science

I can't even remember if this is true!

I thought it was kind of cool, but the huey was overpowered and nobody else really cared for it
    I've always been fascinated by the Vietnam War and I thought the BC2: Vietnam stuff with the jungle and the flamethrowers and the M16s and the Huey was just so cool to me. Plus, it has some period music which was rad. Plus, all the weapons were unlocked from the start.

But the Huey was overpowered. I think I've told this story 10 times here, but I was playing one round of BC2: Vietnam with a Huey pilot (I was the door gunner) and he went like 78-0 in the round and racked up a ton of points. We just kept circle-strafing the Vietnamese and they never had a chance to shoot us down.

I've always been fascinated by the Vietnam War and I thought the BC2: Vietnam stuff with the jungle and the flamethrowers and the M16s and the Huey was just so cool to me. Plus, it has some period music which was rad. Plus, all the weapons were unlocked from the start.

But the Huey was overpowered. I think I've told this story 10 times here, but I was playing one round of BC2: Vietnam with a Huey pilot (I was the door gunner) and he went like 78-0 in the round and racked up a ton of points. We just kept circle-strafing the Vietnamese and they never had a chance to shoot us down.
    yea... when you can do that you know something's wrong. I think the plan was that its vulnerability to small-arms fire (e.g. it actually took some damage from small arms, unlike the choppers in BC2) would make it possible to shoot down. But it was too fast, too easy to hide and repair, trying to fight it meant basically giving up on the ground objectives and ignoring it meant getting raped from the sky. it made a few of the maps completely unplayable

Trust me, I do science