Time to Build a new PC

Hey guys,

I suppose it's about time to build a new PC. 4 years ago, with the help of this site, I built my first one and it has served me remarkably well. I can't believe it's been four years and I haven't even thought about upgrading it until recently.

Anyway, four years ago, I kind went with a system that was between the budget and the mid range build on the leader board. It was the first PC I had ever built, and this will be my second.

I'm planning right now to just go off the list completely, but am trying to make sure I don't forget anything. I know I will need a case, does anyone have any recommendations? I don't care about looks or sound, more interested in cooling and price around $50.

I know I'll need an optical drive. I'll probably just grab one for $20 off new egg, as I rarely use it.

And I know I'll need an OS. I will probably grab an OEM Win7 Home Premium 64 off new egg for $100. Is there any reason to go 32 bit on that? They are the same price.

So if anyone can think of anything else I might need, please let me know. Or if you have other recommendations on hardware other than what's on the medium range leader board, feel free to let me know.

I don't plan to over clock or anything else like that. Hopefully this PC will last me another 4 years. I mainly use it for gaming, but don't care about running the newest, graphic intensive games at the highest settings ever. I just want a good quality gaming PC.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this and respond.

EDIT: I just decided to throw all these items in my cart on new egg and I came across a couple things I'd like to ask about. First, the Mother Board . There's a lot of negative reviews on New Egg. They mostly seem to be from people expecting them to work with ivy bridge processors, but I'm not really savvy enough to know what that's all about. I assume the good folks here at PC Perspective paired a good processor to work well with the MoBo they suggest. I just thought I'd see if anyone has any personal experience with it, or maybe has another suggestion.

Also, the CPU. I plan to use the factory heat sink and fan. Any reason I should not do this?

I'm looking at buying this case.
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-21-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Re: Time to Build a new PC

The factory HSF will suffice if not overclocking, either the Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge processors.

Personally, if I were buying a SB cpu I'd avoid the Gigabyte Z68 boards. They get lots of negative reviews online, it seems many boot loop errors have occurred with many. I'd look at an AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3 Z68 board, myself. Asus Z68 boards are also fairly reliable but a bit pricey (as usual). The AsRock Z68 boards offer bang for the buck and are reliable.

Thank you very much for the reply. New Egg is having a 48 hr sale going on right now, so I might swap some parts out to save money. For one, I don't know if I really need that beefy of a GPU. I could probably knock it down 50% and still get a decent card. Like this one.

There's also a 650W Power Supply for less than the one I was looking at. Maybe get 8GB of RAM instead of 4GB for nearly the same price. (RAM is something I'm not very knowledgeable about though. Could both those MoBos run either 4GB sticks or 2GB sticks?

The other main question I have is if the SSD is worth the lack of space. It sounds amazingly fast, and I do have a large external hard drive that I already use for storage. I just wouldn't be able to have all the games installed that I currently do, which isn't major. New Egg has this SSD for slightly more money than the other one, but twice the space. Reading reviews of SSD in general though, it sounds like I'd be better off going with the 128GB one from Samsung.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated guys.

Also, it looks like New Egg is sold out of the AsRock motherboard you suggested. Do you have any other online retailers you could suggest? It seems to be around $200, and I'd like to stay in the $100 range if I can find one that is reliable. Maybe one of the AsRock Z68 motherboards around $100? Like this one AsRock Z68
    Last edited by Bones40; 08-21-2012 at 07:41 PM.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371016

Nice power supply above for the money, it's modular also. A modular power supply allows you to attach only the power cords you actually need, so it makes a tidier cable wiring job inside. Less clutter to put behind the mobo.

8 Gb of Gskill, Kingston Hyper X or Corsair memory is what you want. Win 7 Home 64 bit OS.........

As far as a SSD they are snappy fast but if you're on a budget you can always grab one later and add it to the pc.

For gaming if you're at a 1080p resolution I'd grab at least an amd 7850, forget that nvidia 550..... I'd go amd 7870 or nvidia 660ti.....(always buy the best video card you can afford, most pc gaming is gpu dependent).

Mobos? An Asrock Pro 3 Z68 board is great if you aren't overclocking (to pair with a gen 2 i7 or i5 cpu...

hope I helped you out some...good luck.