Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: This place has been quite dead lately...

asus has plenty of nice boards in the 75/89 range.

its not going to be a quad SLI black bulletproof edition but hey, gets the job done.

you can also find plenty of those 200 boards on the cheap slightly used, same with ram.

------------

also PC gaming is starting to grow again now that the consoles are so damn old the graphics on them is way past out dated. Lots of great new PC games out there, plus you can't beat the prices on PC games.... amazon and steam have insane sales with a much larger selection... the PC really is the most price effective platform for gaming.... and its not just for games... like the almost single purpose console, which plays games, or streams content...and thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bo View Post
    Part of the problem is hardware manufacturers pricing. I remember paying over $100 for a motherboard being expensive. Now there are 200, 300 dollar motherboards.

Let's not even look at video cards.
    To think that its hardly ever worth it to pay that kind of money for hardware unless you have very specific needs or just have money to blow.

You build a high end system today, next year it's getting spanked by mid end systems that cost $600

As for video cards, I refuse to spend more than $150 on one.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    To think that its hardly ever worth it to pay that kind of money for hardware unless you have very specific needs or just have money to blow.
    I dunno.

Nobody needs a car that goes over 80 mph, yet, they sell a lot of Ford Mustangs and Chevrolet Corvettes every year.

It's fun to have more horsepower (both in cars & computers) than you need.

You build a high end system today, next year it's getting spanked by mid end systems that cost $600
    So what? I don't hang out every weekend in a big room benchmarking my system with other people.

build a solid setup and it lasts years to come, something faster came out? so? is it still playing your games great and doing what you need it to do? If so what is the big deal.

If you have to have the fastest for the sake of having the fastest, yes you'll burn money.

To me I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware of today compared to the hardware or yesterday. There are other forums that are really thriving and they are hardware themed forums. There just needs to be something that will bring people back. Some kind of nitch thing. I mean there are still plenty of hard core overclockers and modders out there. That hasn't slowed down. Actually I think it's more common placed today then back then. Remember in the heyday of Amdmb case modding and overclocking was new. It was still kinda a black art. I would love to see this forum come back to life and get busy again.

Boo

I follow forum still I used to be big poster years ago but have family now and I just don't have the same interest in hardware because of lack of funds to do anything. Hit hard by economy I'm one of many hit by foreclosure it really brings you down makes you loose interest in hobbies you ounce had.

After seeing this forum made me decide to look at another forum i used to follow sharky extreme and it looks like there worse off no new articles some sections of forums going months without post.
    Last edited by afoctober2; 11-20-2012 at 12:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThE_MaD_ShOt View Post
    To me I don't think it has anything to do with the hardware of today compared to the hardware or yesterday. There are other forums that are really thriving and they are hardware themed forums. There just needs to be something that will bring people back. Some kind of nitch thing. I mean there are still plenty of hard core overclockers and modders out there. That hasn't slowed down. Actually I think it's more common placed today then back then. Remember in the heyday of Amdmb case modding and overclocking was new. It was still kinda a black art. I would love to see this forum come back to life and get busy again.
    No offense to anyone here, but it's obvious this forum needs more change than just a facelift. I'm no admin so I don't claim any expertise on the matter, but I do know that other tech related forums are thriving while this one is apparently dying. Something needs to be done to generate interest, otherwise this will most likely become a big debating forum with alot empty tech sections.
    The problem is that the forum admins generally don't seem to be interested in new ideas unless it came from them.
    Last edited by JustinC939; 11-20-2012 at 07:47 PM.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

The problem is that the forum admins generally don't seem to be interested in new ideas unless it came from them.
    It's the way this place has always been. Honestly I don't even know why they bother with the suggestions/feedback forum sometimes as it's always the same old answer. "This is better. Get used to it." Hmm, actually this new layout sucks and everyone hates it but whatever. I imagine we'll lose yet a few more members over this new drab grey and white mess that's the new PCPer.

With android devices, tablets and smart phones so huge I'm surprised there isn't a sub forum for it. They have really changed over the years there is a lot of interest in overclocking and such with tablets and other devices.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    It's the way this place has always been. Honestly I don't even know why they bother with the suggestions/feedback forum sometimes as it's always the same old answer. "This is better. Get used to it." Hmm, actually this new layout sucks and everyone hates it but whatever. I imagine we'll lose yet a few more members over this new drab grey and white mess that's the new PCPer.
    I agree with this too I only come back because of the community in the forum even though I haven't posted regularly in more than 5yrs. I still remember a lot of members in here when i read through these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by afoctober2 View Post
    I agree with this too I only come back because of the community in the forum even though I haven't posted regularly in more than 5yrs. I still remember a lot of members in here when i read through these threads.
    It's kind of sad here anymore, there are a lot of people I remember when I do a search for something and it brings up old threads. This place used to be a LOT of fun. The tech forums were bristling with activity and OT was a 24 hour party. I still remember many years ago when the first shakedown of the old mods happened. Many of them left because of changes they saw coming and they didn't like. According to them, they were told to deal with it or leave, so they left.This was probably 10 years ago, as I was a fairly new member then and couldn't really understand what they were so upset about. Now I've seen their premonitions firsthand and they were spot on. The place hasn't been the same since and it never will be. Every year there are fewer people posting and if it wasn't for TLR, a forum that many of the old mods fought to keep from coming about, there would hardly be any activity here at all anymore.

Sometimes it takes a thread like this for me to see just how deserted this place has truly become. Considering the fact that in the 11+ years that I've been a member here, there have been very, very few days I've not made a post in these forums, and even fewer that I've not read them, I can safely say I've seen the changes firsthand. I remember the first type of these threads popping up probably 5 years or so ago noting the decline in membership in activity. Back then though there was still a complete motherboard forum with sub-forums with most manufacturers and there was a LOT more activity in all the forums. Lol, now there are forums where the mods themselves haven't visited in years...YEARS! I brought this up in the useless "Feedback" forum, yet the ghost mods remain, haunting the various places they used to oversee.

It's amazing to think that AMDMB forums once was in the top ten F@H teams in the world. Now it's number 37, and dropping fast. The name change pissed some people off back then, myself included so they went elsewhere. There was a certain amount of pride seeing that name in the F@H stats that management back then didn't think mattered. It obviously did. Like now though the answer was "Things change, get over it." They sure did.

I'm hoping pcper makes a comeback here I stay away from hardocp forum and others because the membership group is so large you easily get lost in their forums. Where here even at its height you always had a reply or help. I just don't want it to get to the point where you never get a reply on a question. Just take a look at sharky extreme forums don't know what happened there but its abandoned and forum barely has any active users.

Wow. Just noticed that OT went almost 1 full week without a SINGLE post! That folks is an all time record. It's sad, this place is nothing more than a political soap box forum masquerading as a tech forum anymore. I never thought I'd see this day come.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    It's sad, this place is nothing more than a political soap box forum masquerading as a tech forum anymore. I never thought I'd see this day come.
    Agreed.
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.