Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Asrock Z77 OC Formula

Just pushed the button on one of these
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.us...20OC%20Formula
    looks like one sweet board .
    I will have it this friday . New egg is giving away a free ssd HD with this board . I will probaly sell the ssd and my old Z77 Extreme 4 . Wish I had seen this 1st before I bought the extreme 4 But oh well . Love asrock products .
    So anyone else getting one or am I the 1st here ? Would love Pcper to do a review of the board
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: Asrock Z77 OC Formula

I have been looking at doing a review of that board - what attracted you to it?
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I have been looking at doing a review of that board - what attracted you to it?
    Well Ryan quite a few things . It have a good layout . I plan on my 1st SLI setup and Like the layout. It has no pci slots , no floppy ports which Asrock are notorious for . No Ide ports . Onboard lan is pretty good as I am running the same controler now on my Z77 Extreme 4 . I like the colour sceme, the 12 + 4 Power Phase Design
    8 Layer PCB, 4 x 2oz copper
    and all the high end mosfets ,Premium Alloy Chokes , ECT A very High end board at a good price . I was reading in the PDF manual it has sound with in the bios , that should be interesting but I dought it will work seeing I use a sound card . And one last thing they finally put the molex connector at the bottom of the board , Very Nice
    The only negitive I can think of is its a CEB form factor , so I had to buy a new case to house it . Ended up getting a cooler master HAF XM mid tower . Wow , what a beast of a case . Long as a full tower but not quite as tall .
    A few other things I see on the board is many fan headers that support , acording to the manual , dehumidifer function like the Asus sabertooth . Nice feature IMO. Finally I just Like Asrock , their baords never disapoint , rock stable and fast as all getout .
    Anyway Ryan any Idea when You will have your review up ? would look foward to reading it . Mabe compair it to some other high end z77 boards ?

well looks like I found a review of the board already .
    http://www.proclockers.com/motherboa...c-formula.html

I am sure Ryan can top this

EDIT:
    Opps found another http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...therboard/1628
    better hurry reviews are stackin' up
    Last edited by brothergc; 09-06-2012 at 09:32 PM.

nice board , stable and very fast . seems not much interest here though other then Ryan ,no one posting ... hummm

Wow that is an expensive motherboard though. I really think most people have trouble justifying that kind of expense unless you are a hard-core gamer, or power user. Computers are so powerful nowadays in basic form, there is less interest in top of the line stuff.
    I, for instance just got a new Asus AM3+ motherboard, it cost me $89, and does everything I need.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    Wow that is an expensive motherboard though. I really think most people have trouble justifying that kind of expense unless you are a hard-core gamer, or power user. Computers are so powerful nowadays in basic form, there is less interest in top of the line stuff.
    I, for instance just got a new Asus AM3+ motherboard, it cost me $89, and does everything I need.
    True so true , but I think its worth it . I am coming from a Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and I am noticing better proformance . My sound card just sounds better . I suspect all these are due to better quailty components seeing that nothing else has changed hardware or softare wise . I wanted a top quailty board and Asrock does not disapoint . I could have went cheeper as Asrock does offer the asrock extreme 6 , but who needs floppy support or firewire ?
    I have also owed the Asus z77 sabertooth , was NOT impressed , slower then the z77 extreme 4 . I was truly unwhelmed by that board considering the cost .
    I would say to anyone looking for a quality Intel board this z77 OC is it and worth ever cent . Asrock has done a steller job here at a good price point.

All of our work computers are AMD based. For a work computer AMD (dollar for dollar) is hard to beat.

But, my gaming computers are Intel.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

IMO Intel is hard to beat Period ! And this is coming from a old AMD fanboy . I tryed their latest , oh brother total waste of time and money IMO . A 2 core Ivy can be had very reasonable now and starter z77 boards are not all that expensive . AMD needs to seriously rethink their CPUs . Would love to see AMD Up their game and get back to the old days of when AMD was king . After all competion is a Good thing !

just upgraded to a 3770k cpu . man this board screams . next up grade ? Thinking 2 new MSI 660s in SLI . I was considering going with the 660TI bit just not sure if it would be worth the price difference

edit this board has quite the following at overclockers.net with even Nick himself posting their
    Last edited by brothergc; 10-21-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    just upgraded to a 3770k cpu . man this board screams . next up grade ? Thinking 2 new MSI 660s in SLI . I was considering going with the 660TI bit just not sure if it would be worth the price difference

edit this board has quite the following at overclockers.net with even Nick himself posting their
    I almost bought the 660, wanted the 660ti, but money was tight..i ended up buying a msi r7870...the 660s in sli should scream, though pretty fast as a single video solution. my next card will be a 660, replacing the gtx 260 in one of my NVidia rigs..nice motherboard you got brothergc
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- msi r9-270x
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 470
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte gtx-660 oconboard graphics
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    I almost bought the 660, wanted the 660ti, but money was tight..i ended up buying a msi r7870...the 660s in sli should scream, though pretty fast as a single video solution. my next card will be a 660, replacing the gtx 260 in one of my NVidia rigs..nice motherboard you got brothergc
    well I finally decided on 2 of the 660s in SLI . Msi has just released a new card , a GTX 660 Hawk check this out
    http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N660-...District-.html
    this card uses 2 6in pcie conectors instead of just one top of the line card !

brothergc
    i like msi video cards, the last 3 i have purchased has been msi, top notch quality in my book...A rough equivalent would be saying that the 660 is performing somewhere in-between a GeF....orce GTX 570 and 580 .. and that's not a bad position. At the competitor side the competition is the Radeon HD 7870....but overall, i would say the hawk 660 is faster than my msi r7870....good choice
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- msi r9-270x
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 470
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte gtx-660 oconboard graphics
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    brothergc
    i like msi video cards, the last 3 i have purchased has been msi, top notch quality in my book...A rough equivalent would be saying that the 660 is performing somewhere in-between a GeF....orce GTX 570 and 580 .. and that's not a bad position. At the competitor side the competition is the Radeon HD 7870....but overall, i would say the hawk 660 is faster than my msi r7870....good choice
    think you might be underestimating the 660 non TI
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/n...epler-family/6

its a good proformance bump over my 560TI but what realy caught my eye was how this little card did on a sli config
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,25.html
    Guru3d does a good review of the 660 hawk
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html
    Aslo what caught my eye was in a sli configuration very little difference between a 660 and a 660TI even the 670 sli sli does not do all that hot when considering proformance VS price . The 660 seems to me to be the sweet spot. AMD cards ? hummm. Looks good but what makes me always go with nvidia is their drivers , I always hear that nvidias drivers are better

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    think you might be underestimating the 660 non TI
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/n...epler-family/6

its a good proformance bump over my 560TI but what realy caught my eye was how this little card did on a sli config
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,25.html
    Guru3d does a good review of the 660 hawk
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html
    Aslo what caught my eye was in a sli configuration very little difference between a 660 and a 660TI even the 670 sli sli does not do all that hot when considering proformance VS price . The 660 seems to me to be the sweet spot. AMD cards ? hummm. Looks good but what makes me always go with nvidia is their drivers , I always hear that nvidias drivers are better
    I did have thoughts about upgrading my videocards to the 660 or 660TI series, but have to wait until January or February 2013, due to money concerns. My MSI 460GTX Cyclone 1GB OC cards are doing just fine for the time being in SLI. I used to be an ATI card fanboy and I do like my GTX 460's over the previous ATI card's that I have used in the past.

Haven't been around here in a long time, took a long absence from here.