Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Asrock Z77 OC Formula

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    think you might be underestimating the 660 non TI
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/n...epler-family/6

its a good proformance bump over my 560TI but what realy caught my eye was how this little card did on a sli config
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,25.html
    Guru3d does a good review of the 660 hawk
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html
    Aslo what caught my eye was in a sli configuration very little difference between a 660 and a 660TI even the 670 sli sli does not do all that hot when considering proformance VS price . The 660 seems to me to be the sweet spot. AMD cards ? hummm. Looks good but what makes me always go with nvidia is their drivers , I always hear that nvidias drivers are better
    brothgc, did you get your 660 video card?
    i have thougts of getting one in dec, but also thinking about the amd 8350 to replace my amd 970 phenom II, MAYBE a wrong move there...what are you thoughts on going with the 8350 cpu????
    #1-i5-3570k -asus sabertooth p67- asus r9 290
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-asus M5A97-evga gtx 260
    #3-amd phenom II x2 560 (4 cores enabled) -BIOSTAR TA880GB -evga gtx 260
    #4-amd fx-6300- GA-990FXA-UD3-gigabyte -evga gtx 660
    #5-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    brothgc, did you get your 660 video card?
    i have thougts of getting one in dec, but also thinking about the amd 8350 to replace my amd 970 phenom II, MAYBE a wrong move there...what are you thoughts on going with the 8350 cpu????
    no I have not gotten my 660 yet as I have yet to see a MSI 660 Hawk available to buy on New egg .
    As far as upgrading your cpu , I am not sure on AMD , my last venture with AMD was a major dissipointment , but that was a bulldozer . Realy a real snoozer and I lost my butt selling my AMD setup. Once I moved on to Intel I was pleased and am finally happy with my curent setup , a Asrock Z77 OC edition and a 3770k. What I liked was having native USB 3.0, PCIE 3.0. Seeing I plan a SLI setup I am assured of more then enough banwidth.
    Personaly , I would sell that AMD setup and go with a Intel , or just stay with the amd 970. but that is just Me.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I did have thoughts about upgrading my videocards to the 660 or 660TI series, but have to wait until January or February 2013, due to money concerns. My MSI 460GTX Cyclone 1GB OC cards are doing just fine for the time being in SLI. I used to be an ATI card fanboy and I do like my GTX 460's over the previous ATI card's that I have used in the past.

Haven't been around here in a long time, took a long absence from here.
    Me either , just have not been posting anywhere much . I hear ya on money , seein Xmas is about here might have to wait till next year to finaly upgrade to windows 7 pro . But on a good note I been doing this piece meal ,paying cash with no debt so that is a plus

Me either , just have not been posting anywhere much . I hear ya on money , seein Xmas is about here might have to wait till next year to finaly upgrade to windows 7 pro . But on a good note I been doing this piece meal ,paying cash with no debt so that is a plus
    I'm getting a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7inch Android Tablet for Christmas, have it on layaway at Walmart.

Before I upgrade my videocards, I want to get the Logitech Z623 2.1 THX speakers, personally can't justify a 5.1 speaker rig anymore. I have my Windows 7 OS running so stable and smooth, I doubt at this point and time I will get Windows 8, and I can't really justify upgrading my motherboard and cpu either, as my current ASUS motherboard P55 board, i7 870 and 16GB's of ram are running fast and smooth for gaming. Have 16GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333 ram in my machine.

There is the possibility that I might not even upgrade my videocards and instead might get a 450GT or 430GT for Physx Processing, but have to wait until after Christmas, as I won't have the funds until then.

nightowl224
    how do you like 16 gb of memory. ...you don,t have worries of using it all i don,t suppose.....the price is right today, ddr3 memory is cheap
    Last edited by geekkyyy; 11-20-2012 at 04:45 AM.

its sort of sad how amd is coming along, i was hoping for more from them. i was hoping maybe someone would buy them out wtih lots of $$, and get them on the competitive road again..not sure if that will ever happen again

Quote Originally Posted by geekkyyy View Post
    nightowl224
    how do you like 16 gb of memory. ...you don,t have worries of using it all i don,t suppose.....the price is right today, ddr3 memory is cheap
    Nope, no worries of using it all. System runs smoother with it in. Motherboard is an ASUS P7P55D Deluxe and the max memory is 16GB, got the memory at the same time as a Core i7 870 processor that a local computer shop still had a bunch of. Had an i5 750 cpu before I got the i7 870.

well I gave up on MSI releasing the 660 Hawk edition , Looks like its some kind of Paper release . So guess I just go with the MSI 660 Power edition instead . The hawk edition is probaly overpriced anyway if it ever were to be released in the USA.
    Plan on getting 2 of these , one right now and one latter IF I can sell my 560TI

I might wind up having to replace my soundcard, my current card for some reason has started to forget control panel app is installed, not sure if it's the soundcard or Windows 7 doing that. May order an HT Omega eClaro off Newegg, and a set of Logitech Z623 speakers at the same time.
    Last edited by Nightowl224; 12-14-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I might wind up having to replace my soundcard, my current card for some reason has started to forget control panel app is installed, not sure if it's the soundcard or Windows 7 doing that. May order an HT Omega eClaro off Newegg, and a set of Logitech Z623 speakers at the same time.
    I have one of those cards and have had it for about a year , Great card ! Good choice, games well and music is awesome !

I just pused the button on a MSI 660 OC PE , one down and one to go , ordering another soon as I sell my 560TI for some SLI goodness . Crysis 3 is calling !
    Last edited by brothergc; 12-14-2012 at 06:23 AM.

I got a new cpu cooler for my cpu, the Intel cooler is acting a little screwy, where on Sunday it didn't want to run, until I gently tapped the fan housing then the fan started spinning. I've been running SLI for over a year with two GTX 460's that are still doing good for me, might get a copy of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim next month.

I've got SATA 3(6GB)/USB 3 on the ASUS U3S6 card I have, and if I put that back in, I can run my SSD and SATA 3 harddrive on the SATA 3 controller using a generic driver built in Windows 7 and not have to worry about a 3rd party driver.

I finally got the Realtek PCI Express Gigabit lan working after 3 friggin years. Realtek PCI Express Gigabit Lan has a problem, if it is enabled it will take PCI Express bandwidth away from the USB connectors for things such as my USB 2.0 memory card reader, unless I either stick in an PCI Network card or possibly the U3S6 card, which has a PCI Express to PCI bridge chip on it. Haven't tried the second Realtek port which is as I recall a PCI chip.

Only option right now is to stick my other soundcard in or use the onboard sound.
    Last edited by Nightowl224; 12-20-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Update, card has 3 year warranty going to have the shop I bought the card from send it in for repair or replacement.

So , I just scored on a deal on 2 of western digitals' newest volciraptors
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236245
    50 bucks off apeice with promo code , that is aprox. 119 for the pair . These will be powering my new win 7 machine . I gave serious consideration to SSD , but these are no hasstle standard drives , with no firmware updates and a 5 year warentee . 64 mb cache . 500 mb total hard drive space should fill my bill , plan on using one for a boot drive and another for game files/storage . I was so wanting to get another matching vid card for SLI but 100 dollors off something I was planing on getting anyway is the smart way to go . oh well next month , I will complete this rig .
    Any tips on setting up windows 7 would be apreciated especialy backing up the OS on 1st install . I have grown so used to installing windows xp when ever I pleased , a old colage edition that required no activation , time to move on to windows 7 as windows 8 makes me sick just to look at it lol. Looking forward to DX11
    Last edited by brothergc; 12-21-2012 at 10:11 PM.

I just bought this board on your recommendation. I have some memory for it.:
    KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX and
    KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
    what do you use or like?
    Last edited by malmal; 12-23-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malmal View Post
    I just bought this board on your recommendation. I have some memory for it.:
    KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX and
    KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
    what do you use or like?
    well I Have not installed the memory I bought yet because I am still running windows xp and it would not know what to do with 8 gig of ram. I curently am using a 2x1 GB gill skill . But What I bought is Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148519
    If Crucial is not your cup of tea then Gskill has never let me down as I just wanted crucial for the bling factor as it has LED lights and I thought that was cool