Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Asrock Z77 OC Formula

The 8 gb kits were only $38 each. I run XPx64. I will test both kits to see which is best.

The Lucid Virtu MVP looks interesting but it works with win7 only, so it must be a software thing not hardware.

Going to use a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 down blower in a Lian Li X2000 case. [got them]
    3770k and asrock in the mail. Prolly get them on Thursday or Friday.

I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 on my machine, which fixed the problems with my Xonar Essence STX. Make sure you have the Windows 7 drivers for your soundcard, as you will not have sound until you download and install them. Just do the standard install of Windows 7 to one partition, if you are not going to raid those drives and set the defrag utility to do a defrag about once a day at a set time.

My SSD is the Crucial C300 128 which got it's last firmware update in 2011, darn fast drive and has a 5 year warranty. I'm with you on Windows 8, it makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by malmal View Post
    The 8 gb kits were only $38 each. I run XPx64. I will test both kits to see which is best.

The Lucid Virtu MVP looks interesting but it works with win7 only, so it must be a software thing not hardware.

Going to use a Noctua NH-C12P SE14 down blower in a Lian Li X2000 case. [got them]
    3770k and asrock in the mail. Prolly get them on Thursday or Friday.
    surprisingly the 3770 is a cool running chip for me but I am only running stock but anyway I am using the coolermaster Hyper N 520
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103057 it does a good job . I did overclock to 4ghz and under prime 95 highest I saw was 52 deg F . not too shabby for a cheep cooler . I considered a liquid setup , but once I saw that the benchies were not much better then a air setup , I just could not justify the cost .
    I do believe You will be happy with the board , has run flawless for me . I like the overclock profiles , makes setting up the board a piece of cake and the tweakin options are fun to play with .
    If I were You though I would consider getting a copy of windows 7 while it is still available . Windows xp will run on this board , but it does not handle a quad core all that well , and You miss out on DX11 , better processor afinity handling and avanced power management. I have seen it on sale at new egg as cheep as 87 bucks for the home premium edition . Me I have my copy squirled away , I did opt for the Pro edition I caught on sale for 119
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 on my machine, which fixed the problems with my Xonar Essence STX. Make sure you have the Windows 7 drivers for your soundcard, as you will not have sound until you download and install them. Just do the standard install of Windows 7 to one partition, if you are not going to raid those drives and set the defrag utility to do a defrag about once a day at a set time.

My SSD is the Crucial C300 128 which got it's last firmware update in 2011, darn fast drive and has a 5 year warranty. I'm with you on Windows 8, it makes me sick.
    Cool glad You got it fixed . As I said though I am just not sold on SSDs mabe one day but what I experenced the few times I tryed one was , yes it benched fast , but for the most part , I could not tell the difference on a day to day use . Granted this test was on a OZC 60 gb drive . What I saw benches were off the chart , but small files did no better then a spinning HHD. Then ya gotta deal with firmware updates , and then loosing data when doing that , ugg not my idea of fun . These raptors should fill the bill for me . From what I am gathering they get around 175 mps .
    I don't plan on raiding these . My plan is to use one for a boot drive and one for storage so I will be setting up these on ahci . I plan at using only one drive at 1st and do a base windows 7 install , once all that is updated and all that , clone the drive onto a old drive I will stash away for archive . Then once done install the second raptor and let windows format that , this will be my game drive .
    For slow storage I got a old 500 gb seagate seagate I could use for music files and backup using windows 7 back up feature.
    So what to you think of my back up/storage idea ? I do have a old copy of norton ghost that runs on a floppy drive that I have used on windows 7 laptop before so that should work

When I did the second firmware update on my SSD, it was reset to factory settings where every thing was wiped out, which was stupid of Crucial to set it that way, but they learned from their mistake on the third and final firmware update for my SSD didn't have to reinstall Windows. I just my SSD for a boot drive, and nothing else.

I don't see why your plan wouldn't work except that most motherboards now, don't have a floppy connector, which means you will have to get a USB floppy to use that copy of Norton Ghost.

I got one of the following cpu fans recently, but haven't put it in yet. Had an incident a little over a week ago with the Intel fan not wanting to spin up for some reason on a Sunday, until I reached in the case and tapped it gently.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835230047

Since the incident with the Intel fan, I've been leery of continuing use of the Intel fan.

That Hyper N 520 seems like a strong cooler. I have win7 but I dont like it.
    Figuring out which graphics card to get.
    I choked when I found out [after I bought it] that the m/b had hdmi only and no vga.
    I have never seen or touched a monitor with hdmi.
    My 21" crt [25$ at SallyAnn] does me fine thank you very much!

ps Dec26 well the Noctua NH-C12P SE14 fell through, so I got a HR-01 Thermalright from a shop nearby.
    Will make my own 1155 mount for it since they are unavailable.
    Last edited by malmal; 12-26-2012 at 10:24 PM.

well looks like I gotta issue with this board . I keep getting a yellow bang in my device manager . From what I have been able to figure one on the etron USB 3 ports on back of the board is dead . I say that because when I go into the bios and disable USB 3 the problem goes away . Any one else disagree or have any other thoughts ? I , of course, tried reseting the bios , upgrading the bios , I even uninstalled the board and checked all usb ports to see if their were any obvious issues . but the rear etron port is dead .

Does it work a usb2 device?
    I searched for a plug in tester but didnt find any.
    EVGA forums have dead usb3s on their Classified m/bs, but havent seen any dead usbs [except yours] in the Asrock forums .

Does it work a usb2 device?
    I searched for a plug in tester but didnt find any.
    EVGA forums have dead usb3s on their Classified m/bs, but havent seen any dead usbs [except yours] in the Asrock forums .
    no it is dead . I tryed everything . Bummer
    I emailed asrock tech support , no reply . I am just going to have to eat this one , seems like no way to get a hold of Asrock as their not relpying . I am just throwing in the towel on this one . Got my eye on a Biostar board
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138364

Looking at the reviews this is also a 12 phase PS like the asrock and way cheeper check it out
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/B...Fi_Z77X/5.html
    And no extra lan controlers, no extra sata controlers , good layout for SLI , and no outdated legacy PCI slots
    looks like a good meat and potatoes board as I am done buying $200-$300 boards that claim :" high quality components" and then just have hardware issues 3 months down the road .
    So i give the biostar a Try.
    Last edited by brothergc; 01-02-2013 at 11:35 PM.

Only thing I can tell you, is look up their their U.S. Techsupport phone number and try giving them a phone call, if they don't answer the phone then call or email Newegg, and see if they will do a replacement under Newegg's warranty policy.

I still have my ASUS P7P55D Deluxe with it's P55 chipset running after a little over 3 years, with it's i7 870 16GB of ram. I don't overclock and I got tired of every two to 3 years doing a major upgrade. I am however upgrading the videocards, ran in to some issues with the video drivers as of late, and I can't seem to figure out what Windows 7, and the GeForce drivers aren't getting along anymore. Having odd/random issues where the GTX 460's will have a yellow exclamation mark on them, in device manager and the only ways to fix this are to reboot, knocked them out of device manager, or uninstall the drivers entirely reboot and reinstall the drivers.

I ordered myself a pair of 2GB ASUS Radeon 7850's. What soured me a little when it comes to ATI videocards is the garbage that Visiontek pulled with a pair of factory overclocked Radeon 4870's. They altered the bios of those cards in such a way, that a fresh install of Windows 7 couldn't be done, Windows Vista had to be installed and updated to the latest service pack, and then Windows 7 could be installed. I don't like Visiontek one bit when it comes to videocards, and I've heard XFX is just as bad.

Nightowl:
    I am trying posting a negitive review at new egg and see if I get get a responce their , maybe I can get a rma thru Asrock
    as I am seeing a lot replys from them their . But even if I do , God only know how many weeks a RMA might take meaning since I have no back up board I will be with out a computer for probaly weeks . Not my idea of fun , so forget that noise and I just get another mobo . One of the things that floored me on this 235 dollor Asrock board is It is make in China ! So That does not leave Me feeling warm and fuzzy about relying on Asrock for a quality , long lasting board.
    That is why I bought such a expensive board . Some thing I could rely on so realy even if I do get a RMA , I am still just going to go with something else , something I can just buy 2 of and have a backup
    Don't know what to think on your vid card issues, I have always bought nvidia cards by MSI and never had a issue

It's driving me nuts, that it could be the drivers or the cards, and this in turn appears to be causing problems with my soundcard. Only slot I can put the soundcard in is the PCI Express X1 slot between the videocards, my SATA3/USB 3 card is sitting in the last PCI Express slot which is a PCI Express X4 when the other two PCI Express slots become X8 when there are two videocards installed. Soundcard still has trouble when in the last PCI Express slot.

I haven't tried the latest drivers that Nvidia put out on January 4TH yet, and I hate that Nvidia wants one to create an account, just to file a driver bug report with them. That is one of the stupidest things I have heard yet out of Nvidia.

Maybe ASROCK will post back and RMA the board, I don't know. You could always try contacting Newegg to do a replacement of the board under Newegg policy.

I was going to use a HIS HD 4650 til I found out the intel 4000 is much better!
    Running Linpack for a few hours. Temps are good: 35* average over ambient.
    Core 0 and 3 are averaging about 5* less but sometimes they go above cores 1 and 2.

P.S. OT Why did my post count shrink down to 5?
    Last edited by malmal; 01-08-2013 at 09:03 PM.

P.S. OT Why did my post count shrink down to 5?
    you might want to ask that in a new thread here. http://forums.pcper.com/forumdisplay...s-and-Feedback

ud

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl224 View Post
    It's driving me nuts, that it could be the drivers or the cards, and this in turn appears to be causing problems with my soundcard. Only slot I can put the soundcard in is the PCI Express X1 slot between the videocards, my SATA3/USB 3 card is sitting in the last PCI Express slot which is a PCI Express X4 when the other two PCI Express slots become X8 when there are two videocards installed. Soundcard still has trouble when in the last PCI Express slot.

I haven't tried the latest drivers that Nvidia put out on January 4TH yet, and I hate that Nvidia wants one to create an account, just to file a driver bug report with them. That is one of the stupidest things I have heard yet out of Nvidia.

Maybe ASROCK will post back and RMA the board, I don't know. You could always try contacting Newegg to do a replacement of the board under Newegg policy.
    new egg is not going to do anything , I have had this way over the 30 days . to be fair aasrock did finally get back to me , a week later , seems I gotta jump thru a few hoops just to get a RMA . I gotta email them a completed PDF form , and then a sales reciept from new egg . Geez I already email them a serial number and while I do have hard copies of my sales reciept I recieved in the shipping box , I have no electronic reciept to send them , so screw it and forget asrock . I realy dont want a RMA on a board that costs this much from a company that outsorces their boards from China .
    I am going for the Biostar Hi-Fi Z77X
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...m-_-13-138-364
    And this Asrock is getting a express ride to the City Dump. One of the weekness of this board is it is easy to currupt the bios , it seems asrock cant realy write a good bios , all the sound, vid card, and lan are sharing IRQ 16 , kinda wacked IMO when other IRQs are sitting empty , Board also will intermitently on cold boot just forget I disabled some of the on board crap , so I am done with this POS board .

On Your problem I would install the latest drivers from nvidia . 1st uninstall anything nvidia , then launch the driver package, but dont choose auto , chick "custom" and click " do a clean install" I never install nview , nvidia driver update. Once Installed if your not going to use nvidia HDMI sound , go to the device manager under sound chick the nvidia high def sound click that and then properties , check "do not map thru this device" reboot and see if that solves your problem
    Last edited by brothergc; 01-10-2013 at 02:53 AM.