Which Card: 7950 950MHz, or, 7950 Vapor-X

Greets all. I think the title summarizes it nicely, but here is what I'm referring to:

Which of these two cards is preferable:
    * Sapphire 7950 950MHz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102991
    * Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202003

Mainly, what are the pro's and con's of the two cards, given that they're so close?

Also, is the boost feature truly a benefit, or does it add its own headaches?

Much appreciation.

Re: Which Card: 7950 950MHz, or, 7950 Vapor-X

Quote Originally Posted by elgrandeburro View Post
    Greets all. I think the title summarizes it nicely, but here is what I'm referring to:

Which of these two cards is preferable:
    * Sapphire 7950 950MHz: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102991
    * Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202003

Mainly, what are the pro's and con's of the two cards, given that they're so close?

Also, is the boost feature truly a benefit, or does it add its own headaches?

Much appreciation.
    I guess it depends on your setup.

Monitor size ? Resolution? Input type(s)

Could you enter your system information into the space for that in your User CP then enable viewing of it? Or could you make a detailed signature listing all of your parts? This will help others answer this and future questions, and you only need to do it once. As an example of the level of detail we need, you can click on my system dropdown or look at some of the other signatures you see here. Thanks.

I'm not really sure if theres any real utility from the boost feature. I mean, if you're in a position where the GPU needs 850mhz, then 950 is probably better (during a game), and when you don't need 950 mhz, you're probably in a low power state anyway (at desktop). The other identifiable difference is the cooler. I have the same cooler as the 950mhz edition on my 7970 and I have no complaints. It keeps the GPU cool and its pretty quiet. I definitely don't find myself wanting for a better cooler. I wouldn't take my un-educated assumptions as a position of authority, but on the face of it, I don't see much to favor the VaporX version for $20 more.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Could you enter your system information into the space for that in your User CP then enable viewing of it? Or could you make a detailed signature listing all of your parts? This will help others answer this and future questions, and you only need to do it once.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

You got it - Just added what I believe are the current relevant specs. That said, assume at some point, I'll end up with 3 monitor gaming, or at least be moving to a 2560x1440 monitor.

My questions in part is somewhat independent of my system specs. The two cards I listed seem damn near identical, except for the boost feature of the Vapor-X and it's cooling system.

Given that the two cards appear to be quite close, I'm wondering why I would chose one over the other. What are the negatives and positives?

I've done a decent amount of searching on this subject, and can't seem to find a clear answer thus far.

Cheers.
    Last edited by elgrandeburro; 09-07-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Besides the clock speed boost or not....

The only difference that I see is Connectivity..

2 DVI, HDMI & display port on the "vapor unit"

DVI, HDMI & 2 mini DP on the other

And in both cases only 1 is DL-DVI

Besides the clock speed boost or not....

The only difference that I see is Connectivity..

2 DVI, HDMI & display port on the "vapor unit"

DVI, HDMI & 2 mini DP on the other

And in both cases only 1 is DL-DVI
    Good points. I suppose my follow-up here is subjective, but which set of connectivity would you prefer?

Also, do the mini dp's all require active adapters?

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I'm not really sure if there's any real utility from the boost feature...I wouldn't take my un-educated assumptions as a position of authority, but on the face of it, I don't see much to favor the VaporX version for $20 more.
    Ahh yes, that's what I'm wondering. If it makes a difference, then I would be willing to flip for it, but if it's more of a gimmick, or doesn't do anything more than what I can achieve with the pre-existing 950MHz version, then just as you said, I would rather save the $20.

Quote Originally Posted by elgrandeburro View Post
    Good points. I suppose my follow-up here is subjective, but which set of connectivity would you prefer?

Also, do the mini dp's all require active adapters?
    Myself,

I prefer 2 DL-DVI and whatever gets me to 25x16 on the 3rd output.

As far as I know, the mini dp needs an active adapter when you go above 1080p (or there about in resolution)

Myself,

I prefer 2 DL-DVI and whatever gets me to 25x16 on the 3rd output.

As far as I know, the mini dp needs an active adapter when you go above 1080p (or there about in resolution)
    Right there with you. Unfortunately neither of these cards have 2 x DL-DVI. With that said, which set of connectivity would you find desirable between these two cards?

Either is fine...

there are adapters/cables for the HDMI to make it DL-DVI.

Sounds good, and thanks for the help so far.

Guess the real question is, is the boost feature of the Vapor-X version worth it or not.