Question Only Compatible with Sandy Bridge? Really?

Patriot Signature 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model PSD38G13332H

This memory has a note, "Only compatible with Intel 2nd Gen CPUs (Intel 2000 Series) and AMD 9 series platforms"

Is this true? Can I use these with Ivy Bridge? What specifically about this RAM would preclude other systems?
    Last edited by mickleby; 09-14-2012 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Forgot email notification

Re: Only Compatible with Sandy Bridge? Really?

Any memory should work on any platform regardless but the advertised speed may not work. Different platforms have different tolerances such as voltages and other internal timings that may not correlate on different chipsets. This is why we have platform-specific memory. For example, the rated speeds of PVS34G1600LK are 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 1.Xv, but running this line on an Intel P55 motherboard may not work. It may only work at default (or relaxed) timings. Motherboard manufacturers may have different test methodology or special custom settings they were able to get any of our memory to work at rated timings on a specific platform. In this case, we would recommend contacting the motherboard manufacturer.

Taken from here

So this warning was intended to exclude PREVIOUS generations.. but a later gen like Ivy Bridge will be fine?

^^^ I would assume so

OK to be a bit more general:

Is it true that standard voltage and timing has a sort of plateau, that Sandy Bridge and IB represent a "new normal" compared to previous Intel chipsets? And this is the basic notion in the Patriot warning, that these 1.5v C9 RAM run at the new normal/plateau?

If so, in general what was the voltage/timing for the chipset that just preceded SB?

Well...

Overclocking is different now with unlocked multipliers.

It used to be, that in order to OC you increased the front side buss (FSB) added voltage to the processor and then changed the memory divider. Locked the pci buss, etc.

That is when memory speeds/timings really came into play...now not so much except for benchmark runs.

The ICH10 was in use with Bloomfield/Nehalem it still in in use with SB/IB

Does that help any?

mmettin

yes that's quite helpful. I appreciate your time.

I chuckle a bit how quickly you located the note you first quoted from the Patriot site. Another example of my n00bishness; surely, I could think to search the manufacturer's FAQ! :-P

I guess my google-fu is stronger than yours

Glad I could help.

and If I didn't say it already...welcome to the forums