Question XBox 360 Slim (HDMI) to Shimian Achieva Lite...possible?

I've got a Shimian Achieva Lite 27" monitor...trying to hookup an XBox 360 Slim with HDMI and not having any luck.

Have tried all the following adapters with no luck: HDMI -> DVI-D (DualLink), HDMI -> DVI-D (Single Link) and HDMI -> DVI-I (Dual Link).

None of them produce a picture (computers plugged into the Shimian work fine with DVI-D Dual Link cable, so I know the monitor is okay).

Some have suggested it's because the monitor lacks a scaler, but I have my computer hooked up to the monitor and I am able to set my resolution to anywhere from 640x480 up to 2560x1440 (and about 15 steps in between) ... and while I haven't hit EVERY possible resolution in between those two extremes, the 5 or 10 of them I have selected and tried -- the monitor works just fine ... it displays any resolution I have selected without any problem ... and scales it to full-screen.

Does anyone have any idea how to get an Xbox to display on one of these monitors?

Re: XBox 360 Slim (HDMI) to Shimian Achieva Lite...possible?

Quote Originally Posted by malemansd View Post
    I've got a Shimian Achieva Lite 27" monitor...trying to hookup an XBox 360 Slim with HDMI and not having any luck.

Have tried all the following adapters with no luck: HDMI -> DVI-D (DualLink), HDMI -> DVI-D (Single Link) and HDMI -> DVI-I (Dual Link).

None of them produce a picture (computers plugged into the Shimian work fine with DVI-D Dual Link cable, so I know the monitor is okay).

Some have suggested it's because the monitor lacks a scaler, but I have my computer hooked up to the monitor and I am able to set my resolution to anywhere from 640x480 up to 2560x1440 (and about 15 steps in between) ... and while I haven't hit EVERY possible resolution in between those two extremes, the 5 or 10 of them I have selected and tried -- the monitor works just fine ... it displays any resolution I have selected without any problem ... and scales it to full-screen.

Does anyone have any idea how to get an Xbox to display on one of these monitors?
    The scaling to full screen on the monitor is most likely due to the GPU doing the scaling. The monitor won't do it on its own. After a very brief search, it looks like you may be able to accomplish this, but it seems like you might need an HDMI -> DVI cable, rather than an adapter. Not sure why this would be. Before trying you might want to make sure that the xbox is set to output 720p, rather than 1080i/1080p. Some people say that the scaler-less models can accept 720p, which may make sense given that 1440p is just a doubling of 720p. I'd try this first.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I don't thinking scaling is the problem ... and I'm pretty sure that the GPU isn't doing the scaling.

I think the real problem lies in the fact that Xbox has an HDMI Type A connector ... which is incapable (due to it's lack of pins that are found in a Type B connector) of providing enough signals to generate what is required for a DVI-Dual Link image. The Shimian _requires_ a DVI-Dual Link input -- it will not work with a single-link.

No amount of adapters or cables will up-convert and add in the missing data that the Xbox is not sending out in the first place. The only other possibility would be to run it into a scan converter that would be able to then generate the needed data to output a DVI-Dual Link signal...but those are rather spendy.

I think what I will end up doing instead is upgrading the monitor to the model that also sports an HDMI input and just eliminate this whole fiasco.

That may be correct, but I'm not sure I'm completely convinced. The Type-A is electrically compatible with single-link DVI-D, where type-B is electrically compatible with dual-link DVI-D. You're right that no converter will provide the missing data, but the data is unnecessary because the xbox is not capable of outputting resolutions anywhere near that high. The requirement for dual link dvi-d comes from the fact that the shimian will nominally only accept high resolution inputs. If it accepts 720p inputs (which i've read it does), dual-link DVI-D should not be necessary in order to have that displayed

As far as the scaling is concerned, as I said, the shimian won't accept inputs other than 1440p and 720p. That means that regardless of what you set the resolution to in windows, your GPU must be doing something to scale the resolution up the 1440p. This has been true on my Catleap (same basic panel/inputs). That is why I suspect that your xbox is outputting resolutions that the shimian is not accepting, while your PC is getting something displayed. A simple way of testing this hypothesis would be to lock output to 720p, but I don't have an xbox so I can't do it for you.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present