Question going from 4:3 monitor to 16:9

Needless to say I'm 'out of date' by more than a little. Just switched to an Asus VE278 27" 16:9 from an old Samsung 19" 4:3 monitor. Existing video card Radeon X1950 Pro, Asus M2V MB.

The horizontal 'stretch' of apps on this 16:9 is disconcerting to me. Don't seem to have any Radeon software installed to configure my video card to a 16:9 now.

Or is that just the older apps I'm using? Office 2007 and even older apps with XP sp3 as my OS.

Not exactly thrilled by the 'minimal' at best documentation I got with this new monitor. I bought it for our failing eyesight at 60 years old now. So the microscopic print to read the resolutions and refresh rates was fun to read (sarcasm). Monitor still comes up as 'plug and play' only in Device Manager.

Can anyone set me straight on my understanding of this or what I need to do to get rid of that 'stretch' other than switching this new monitor back to 4:3?

Thanks for any help,

Nutts

Re: going from 4:3 monitor to 16:9

You need to set your video card resolution to 1920 x 1080.
    Do you have catalyst/radeon driver software loaded ?
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

CMB,

Forgot to mention I'm using DVI connectors because of my vid cards DVI outputs. From the microscopic documentation I got with the monitor it looks like 1920 x 1080 (i or p? doesn't say) is possible at low refresh and horizontal freqs, at 60hz on this monitor using DVI but under 60hz though through HDMI/DisplayPort. But screen flicker, on CRT's anyway, at that low a speed bothered us so I'm doubting getting a newer video card is even feasible with my MB's (Asus M2V) one PCI Express x16 slot.

I'm running 1440 x 900 @ 75hz now and we're loving the larger text and icons at that res. Just changed it to 1920 x 1080 and we're back to our 19" for too small of text, etc., with our failing eyesight. This gettin' old stuff is getting old. *lol*

Yes the ATI display driver version 8.593.100.0 9/29/2009 is loaded according to Device Manager. Why the monitor is only displaying as 'plug and play' in Device Manager with no driver included with the monitor is also news to me if that's become standard now for monitors.

I'd never heard of DisplayPort till I started shopping for monitors recently so I'm clueless on that so far.

Thanks for the insights now I have more of a clue at least. But I'll have to play with 1080 for awhile before I'm sold on it. We got the larger monitor primarily because our 19" CRT had gotten too small for us to read easily from the nearly 3' viewing distance due to a pull out keyboard on a corner desk.

Your moniker sounds familiar. Its been quite awhile but we've chatted before I think. You knew your stuff so thanks for back then too.

Nutts

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    You need to set your video card resolution to 1920 x 1080.
    Do you have catalyst/radeon driver software loaded ?

I assume that you know that you can change the text and icon size in Windows? Quick'n'dirty way is to hold down the "Control" key and use the scroll wheel.

Yes, running monitors with default drivers is common. Try using Windows Device Manager and updating the display drivers to see if you can find some proper ones. Failing that, and assuming that there wasn't a CD with the monitor, try looking on the manufacturer's website for some. It's not normally an issue though, unless you start using balanced graphics software like Photoshop, where you will run into colour problems.

1920 x 1080 resolution, and 60Hz vertical refresh, is standard. TFTs don't flicker in the sense that CRTs do, so don't worry about it.

Meridian,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've used device manager and the vid card driver is current as it can be. No CD came with the monitor and none shown at the manufacturers site either so I guess it is default only. Seems like 60hz is working well enough.

Nutts