Question so 'out of date' its scary

I'm so out of date its scary but I'm 60. Wondering if I can do something since technologies have come so far since I built my latest PC back in '06 or '07. I Do Not have a second PC.

My PC's Full Tower is in a spare bedroom where by U-Verse Modem is. Modem not wireless at this point. Have a Cat6 cable running into my living room for cable tv from this bedroom. But the pipe I ran that through is already stuffed to the max.

Here's the really sick part. I'd love to watch C-Span video files coming off the internet in my living room on my 42" plasma. Or use the internet from the living room too. (just more comfortable for long programs, cut me some slack I'm old *lol*)

Wireless routers? Any way of running a audio/video signal coming off my PC wirelessly into my living room HDTV? Wireless keyboard and mouse would be nice too. Going through one drywall wall in a straight line its maybe 15' in total from the PC to the HDTV.

Is any of this feasible? With what gear?

Nutts

XP Pro sp3 oem 32 bit
    Asus M2V bios 1501
    AMD X2 4600
    2GB Crucial
    ATI Sapphire Radeon X1950 512
    Asus VE278 27" 16:9
    (Primary Master boot drive) 80GB IDE WD HDD
    (Primary Slave) none
    (Secondary Master) WD 300gb Sata
    Office 2007 . . lots more
    AT&T U-Verse for ISP and HDTV

Re: so 'out of date' its scary

Nothing really outdated for what you're using the machine for.

Since the OS is 32-bit, upgrade to 4Gb.

There are plenty of USB and Firewire wireless options. Logitech has wireless KB & M too, but the distance isn't into the next room.

XP is still a respectable OS. Win7 seems to be the next one. Vista and Win8 are not all that great.
    Support Your Local Sheriff - At high noon

My Heatware http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=63611

The pump maverick

Re: so 'out of date' its scary

bmaverick,

Could you be a bit more specific? Networking isn't my strength either. USB 2.0 and Firewire both I have. But to put it bluntly what connects to where and whats in the middle of it to make it work?

Think newbie who hasn't kept up to date and never knew everything to begin with. *lol*

Wireless mouse and keyboard "seems" easy enough. Its getting the audio/video signals from the PC to the HDTV that is totally stumping me to do wirelessly without a 2nd PC in the living room.

Nutts
    Last edited by MusicNutt; 09-25-2012 at 02:20 AM.