Reality: Playground for the unimaginative.

I have sensed a disturbance in the lily pads

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum...d.php?id=69622

I've always wanted to donate more to SETI@Home, but being a Canadian, I didn't think it would be tax-deductible. Amazingly I happened to stumble on this page and found I was incorrect. Yes, donations to SETI@Home are tax-deductible for Canadians if they are made through UC Berkeley.

So, when I later found out that the Green Bank SETI@Home project needs this I was motivated to finally donate.

What's this fundraiser for?

The Green Bank Project is set to start early next year, and will bring a new radio telescope's data online for us to analyze. A new SETI@Home receiver at the Robert C. Byrd telescope at Green Bank (which is, incidentally, one of the largest, if not the largest, movable terrestrial objects ever built) will search for signals from star systems with extrasolar planets discovered by NASA's Kepler mission.
    I've also asked if there is hardware they need ... if there's one thing we've got ...

Re: I have sensed a disturbance in the lily pads

Kewl !!! I am a fellow canuck and just got back crunching again. Only a macbook pro for now but will bring more boxen online soon.Do you have a link to that tax deductible donaton for canadians? Go Killer Frogs Go !!!

Wait, donating your CPU cycles to distributed computing projects is tax deductible? Or are you talking about monetary donations? Can us Americans do this too?

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Wait, donating your CPU cycles to distributed computing projects is tax deductible? Or are you talking about monetary donations? Can us Americans do this too?
    read closer. its a monetary donation. I think the thought was that SETI@home would not be a qualifying charity because its hard to argue that their work is really charitable

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    read closer. its a monetary donation. I think the thought was that SETI@home would not be a qualifying charity because its hard to argue that their work is really charitable
    Yeah, I guess that is a valid discussion to be had.