MSI GTX 670 PE ships with compatibility issues

WOW, just wow.

Is this an issue with all z68 -ish MB and all GTX 670 or just MSI?

So I bought the card mentioned in title, plug it in and no post. Did some reading, cleared cmos, etc etc still no post. Did some more reading, then finally asked for help on MSI HQ users forum. Here is what they had to say in snippets.

For full disclosure here is a link to thread : "discussion" is still ongoing
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=162483.0

There is a NO POST issue on some of the 6xx video card products which are limited to some of the new shipments, however it is unrelated to these OC SKU.
    We are shipping with legacy BIOS on new shipments now.
    The NO POST issue is caused by the Hybrid BIOS in the VGA card that has conflict/compatibility issue with older UEFI BIOS without GOP support.
    GOP support has been introduced with UEFI 2.1 and is required by SecureBoot, thus Win8 compliance (not required by end users).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...ware_Interface

The solution is to update the motherboard to the newest UEFI BIOS with updated UEFI codebase with enabled GOP support (using a known working card).
    Or update the BIOS on the VGA card on a legacy platform with Legacy BIOS ROM.
    However, if you have no way to update both of your motherboard/vga BIOS then it is recommended to return the product to vendor, or submit a RMA request.

Thank you.
    from msi rep on msi hq board :
    "They released a bios like you probably remind. None the less all new versions are ME8 that don't work perfectly with 6 series boards and Sandy Bridge. On the other hand they have to maintain Ivy support so releasing a new ME7 version is no option either. ME8 is the best compromise as it works with Sandy and Ivy at stock and supports new vgas. Oc is another story.

Unfortunately you are a bit stuck. Indeed all bios versions newer than 23.7 are for Ivy Bridge (ME8) on the other hand GTX670 PE needs a current bios.

So the truth is you can go with your 670 PE and don't oc or oc. 7681vP6 features the important VBIOS update that's why it works with the 670.

If you want to downgrade 23.7 is attached. The attachment (unlike official download) can be used to downgrade with our USB flasher when using option one (point to archive)"

Please post if you are running i7 or sandy bridge and a gtx 670 and who makes the video card. Super pissed, since due to what they linked me, they KNEW there were issues. But I guess it is supposed to me my fault for not upgrading to Ivy and windows 8 so I can use their card ??? .

GRRrrrrrr. Maybe this should have gone in OT forum.
    Last edited by ChewieFL2003; 10-13-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Took out my flames, calmer and shorter
    HAF 922 -MSI Z68A GD65 G3 - i2600K 100.00 X 38 = 3.8Ghz
    2 x 4Gb Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8-8-8-24-2T 1600 Mhz Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    2 x MSI 670 GTX PE - Card 1 1228 Core 3005 Mem, Card 2 1189 Core 3005 Mem
    Intel Controller -1 x Samsung 830 240Gb SSD (Boot/OS/Stuff) + 2 500Gb Caviar Black + Marvell - SATA DVD all single drive AHCI mode
    XFX Black Edition 850W Hottest Core IBT 66c, Prime 62c

Re: MSI GTX 670 PE ships with compatibility issues

Solved.

MSI support staff on the msi hq forum will provide a bios that works. It is not on the main website so I hope this helps another person.

What happened was a batch started shipping with Hybrid bios as default on the vid cards, it has since been corrected, and hybrid bios is available on request.

There are still cards in market, that are not being recalled, and if you get one and still have sandybridge, you will need to go to msi hq help website and ask for a bios, or, use a bios for ivy, that will "kinda" work.

Regards,
    Chewie
    HAF 922 -MSI Z68A GD65 G3 - i2600K 100.00 X 38 = 3.8Ghz
    2 x 4Gb Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8-8-8-24-2T 1600 Mhz Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    2 x MSI 670 GTX PE - Card 1 1228 Core 3005 Mem, Card 2 1189 Core 3005 Mem
    Intel Controller -1 x Samsung 830 240Gb SSD (Boot/OS/Stuff) + 2 500Gb Caviar Black + Marvell - SATA DVD all single drive AHCI mode
    XFX Black Edition 850W Hottest Core IBT 66c, Prime 62c