Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Official Feedback Thread - Forums upgrade and style

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Yea, i'm of the same opinion, it is very busy. waaaaaay too narrow on the actual forum stuff, I have huge white bars on either side of the actual content that are a massive waste of space. i have a 2560x1440 panel and it looks like this was designed for monitors from 10 years ago :\
    I could throw a whole pack of hotdogs down either side now

Re: PC Perspective Forums Upgrade Bug/Style Reporting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Not real fond of the new style. Like the front page there is just too much blank space on each side of the content. Doubt you'd need much more than a 15" monitor as it only fills about 1/3 of my screen. Are you going tall and skinny to attract the tablet/smartphone crowd?
    +10000 to this. I hate the format when on a widescreen monitor. Hopefully you will allow themes with the new site (I used the old AMD classic theme) if someone makes them. Otherwise I see he forums becoming more desolate than they are now.

We are looking at the mobile plugins for the site, no doubt there.

As for the width issue, we'll see what we can do, but the change was made based on the requirement of fixed-form vs free-form site design. We wanted the the forums to match the main site - it just took us (me) much too long to get it done.

As a user of dual 30-in monitors, I really don't understand the argument about having "too much space" on the sides - who uses a browser in a FULL SCREEN mode any more really? If you do, my guess is that 80%+ of sites are fixed width today, so this is a problem for you across the board.

I may have Joe look into move the right hand ads "outside" the design - we'll get to that after all the tweaking and bugs have been fixed in this first revision.

Thanks for your patience!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Yea, i'm of the same opinion, it is very busy. waaaaaay too narrow on the actual forum stuff, I have huge white bars on either side of the actual content that are a massive waste of space. i have a 2560x1440 panel and it looks like this was designed for monitors from 10 years ago :\
    Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Then I guess the next logical question would be what was the intent of the site that you are matching? The content bar is narrow as heck. This format wastes a lot of space. I'll probably wear out a scroll wheel just typing this post. Seriously though.. this is "PC" perspective and most of us like to use the real estate today's wide screen monitors offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlack View Post
    I could throw a whole pack of hotdogs down either side now
    Quote Originally Posted by grimmster View Post
    +10000 to this. I hate the format when on a widescreen monitor. Hopefully you will allow themes with the new site (I used the old AMD classic theme) if someone makes them. Otherwise I see he forums becoming more desolate than they are now.
    I detest this new format IMMENSELY!!!! Seriously, NO other forum I visit looks this ridiculously small! Lol, I feel like I need to go buy a 7" tablet just to read PC Perspective.

Unhappy Re: Official Feedback Thread - Forums upgrade and style

Yep, definitely don't like the new version......well, because it's new of course. It looks fine on my Mom's 1024x768 resolution screen, but I'm sure it will be small on my 24" widescreen monitor at home. Also, I always use my browsers in full-screen mode (whether IE8 or Chrome). In fact, there needs to be an option in IE to always open all windows in full-screen if someone wants to. Anyway, that's another issue entirely. Hope the new site is modified somewhat or at least given the option to have themes again.

Very unfriendly to wide screen viewing, basically it stinks.

So far I like the new format. Sure its smaller. For me its a catch up really to other sites I visit. This was one of the few places that still used the full sized stretched out style. And Id hate to see the margin's filled with advertising like happens sometimes on the Home Page.
    Right now it has a clean uncluttered look that will just take some folks a bit of time to get used to.
    Im also sure that the software designers are aware that our reading habits have indeed changed.
    We used to be accustomed to long left to right text presentations but I think those days are over in favor of a more focused L to R "look"
    And immediate improvement are the choices now included within the quick reply area.
    So far the only thing I dont see is the "forum jump" deal we used to see at the bottom of the page.
    As I recall that was something that was added after the fact last go round.
    My best suggestion is poke around with this latest effort for a week.
    The text area will seem pretty natural once our eyes are retrained.
    And what a bonus. Spell check!

Good work Wise.

Wait. I see the Forum Jump selector now.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 10-15-2012 at 09:16 AM.