Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Re: Official Feedback Thread - Forums upgrade and style

Quote Originally Posted by Rickikaye69 View Post
    Any chance of implementing the AMDMB color scheme?
    There are no plans for that style at this time.
    hmm...

It may just be that my monitor is getting old and tired, but the text is not high contrast with the off-white background color in the threads. It's a bit harder to read things. You might increase the default font size a nudge or two if that is possible.

In my opinion there is too much gray going on. Right now, with my browser window being about 1450x800 (rough guesstimate), I'm looking at a screen that's about 85% gray or white. with the only other color being the blues on the Reply to Thread button, the Quick Reply bar, the Tags for this Thread bar, and some of the font. Blue and gray are low contrast colors. Changing some of the grays and whites to the blues and greens might help some.
    My heatware

All students need to check out www.dreamspark.com

Proudly NOT a console or subscription/micropayment gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by wdb1966 View Post
    Seriously, that's not going to keep much interest here for a lot of us...life is busy enough without the need to learn a completely new layout.

Some have more pressing issues...later.

PS...new layout is still and will always be
    I'm not as active as I used to be here but I always check in look around seeing how it looks. I originally liked amdmb I understood the move to pcper grow membership focusing on more than just amd. It just seems like it has gotten far from orignal site. I honestly don't even look at the pcper front page. I usually browse the hardocp or hardware secrets for news and reviews, but I prefer the forums here. I agree with wdb1966 it just has me loosing interest I got used to few style/format changes but its really getting to far off from what i originally joined. Some of best sites have stayed pretty close to their original formats. I guess thats all i have

Could you have the sticky threads be a different color than the regular threads? Kind of like how the old format had it? Kind of hard for me to see what's sticky and not sometimes. Thank you.
    Last edited by MrAnonymous; 12-06-2012 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by afoctober2 View Post
    I'm not as active as I used to be here but I always check in look around seeing how it looks. I originally liked amdmb I understood the move to pcper grow membership focusing on more than just amd. It just seems like it has gotten far from orignal site. I honestly don't even look at the pcper front page. I usually browse the hardocp or hardware secrets for news and reviews, but I prefer the forums here. I agree with wdb1966 it just has me loosing interest I got used to few style/format changes but its really getting to far off from what i originally joined. Some of best sites have stayed pretty close to their original formats. I guess thats all i have
    I can understand 100%. Mind you I am simply pointing out what I have noticed over the years and it isnt a comment from the management here.
    First off the move away from the amdmb focus was a natural progression as pc builders and enthusiasts got away from that narrow market. Initially we enjoyed what gets close to a cult sort of membership..a group of souls that still managed to resist the Intel influence. In political terms maybe all of us here were the Ron Pauls of the computer enthusiast market. We liked value and innovation. So an entire community developed around the "product specific" forums.
    Intel forums were created to capture /mirror what the market had become.
    With some understandable resistantance among some purists we became PC Perspective.
    All the same folks mainly with some broader appeal.

Now lets think of what has happened to the PC market and compare that with some baseline activity we see here.
    As a mainstream product PC sales are in some serious decline. The public is leaning away from traditional PC's and more and more moving to tablets and other smaller form. And who would have thought 10 years ago that cellphones would become
    in such a large way how people compute? The technology wasnt available then as we see today.

So in a roundabout defense of Ryan and the gang and the decline in activity we notice its more about a changing market than the forum itself. The public is also more savvy so certainly we dont see near the searchers looking to solve specific PC issues.
    Again setting aside a really core enthusiast market.

In sum what we notice here is evolution. The tech market has changed dramatically and its no easy deal for any management
    to pick all the correct winners and respond with content changes.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnonymous View Post
    Could you have the sticky threads be a different color than the regular threads? Kind of like how the old format had it? Kind of hard for me to see what's sticky and not sometimes. Thank you.
    that is on the to do list. the background will change along with a small separator similar to what we had in the old version.

as a general note...changes to the forums have been slow. i apologize for this. i have a new computer on the way to replace a dying rig that has lived much longer than it should have. i should have it by end of next week. as soon as i get caught back up on all the back logged stuff...ill be back on this. i really appreciate all of your patience and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    I can understand 100%. Mind you I am simply pointing out what I have noticed over the years and it isnt a comment from the management here.
    First off the move away from the amdmb focus was a natural progression as pc builders and enthusiasts got away from that narrow market. Initially we enjoyed what gets close to a cult sort of membership..a group of souls that still managed to resist the Intel influence. In political terms maybe all of us here were the Ron Pauls of the computer enthusiast market. We liked value and innovation. So an entire community developed around the "product specific" forums.
    Intel forums were created to capture /mirror what the market had become.
    With some understandable resistantance among some purists we became PC Perspective.
    All the same folks mainly with some broader appeal.

Now lets think of what has happened to the PC market and compare that with some baseline activity we see here.
    As a mainstream product PC sales are in some serious decline. The public is leaning away from traditional PC's and more and more moving to tablets and other smaller form. And who would have thought 10 years ago that cellphones would become
    in such a large way how people compute? The technology wasnt available then as we see today.

So in a roundabout defense of Ryan and the gang and the decline in activity we notice its more about a changing market than the forum itself. The public is also more savvy so certainly we dont see near the searchers looking to solve specific PC issues.
    Again setting aside a really core enthusiast market.

In sum what we notice here is evolution. The tech market has changed dramatically and its no easy deal for any management
    to pick all the correct winners and respond with content changes.
    very well said jim. you pretty much nailed it. thanks for the great post and always good to see you around
    hmm...

I like it !

These tired old eyes like the style just fine.

I'm noticing two things with this new layout. First, the top menu is quite distorted viewed on Firefox 22 and fully updated Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1. It looks fine on IE 8, 9, and 10, the latest Chrome, and even on the latest Opera on the same system. Just to be sure that it isn't a problem on this particular system I checked it on 6 different computers running XP SP3, Vista SP2 64bit, Knoppix 7.10, LMDE 64bit, Xubuntu 12.04.1 32bit, and Lubuntu 12.04 32bit. All worked fine with the latest Chrome or Opera available to them, but not with Firefox 22 or 21. I've attached a screenshot to show what it looks like.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The other problem I have is with this faint font color. It's WAY too difficult to read. It looks like a medium grey on a light grey background and it simply sucks. I know my 59 year old eyes ain't the best, but this is ridiculous, and from the looks of things I'm not the only one who feels that way.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

I wish we had a darker theme to select. Too much blank white all around in here...

I have one request....

For the web site, you allow an underscore in the name. But for the forums you do not. Can we somehow make my two logins the same name (PCPer login is Mark_GB) so that when you go to see if I have posted xx number of times at some point in the future, you wont come up with a big fat stinky goose egg?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MarkGB; 06-30-2014 at 12:21 PM. Reason: My Damn Keyboard Cant TYpE!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGB View Post
    I have one request....

For the web site, you allow an underscore in the name. But for the forums you do not. Can we somehow make my two logins the same name (PCPer login is Mark_GB) so that when you go to see if I have posted xx number of times at some point in the future, you wont come up with a big fat stinky goose egg?

Thanks.
    researching.
    hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGB View Post
    I have one request....

Thanks.
    i have made an adjustment to allow the use of the underscore in usernames. i can change your current username to add the underscore if you like.
    hmm...