Thread: New silent HTPC

New silent HTPC

I thought Id share my new HTPC build, it's my ultimate (until something else better comes along) HTPC. My old HTPC wasn't as quiet as I'd like it to be, I did consider trying to make it quieter but I couldn't resist the urge to build a new HTPC. So I built a new HTPC.

I had been looking at building a new HTPC with A-Tech Fabrications 2800HP case, so I finally pulled the trigger and did it. And I love it! It's the best HTPC, it's super silent. I call it the silent ninja HTPC because it's dressed in black and it's silent like a ninja!

More information and a review of the 2800HP case is up on my blog.

Specs:
    Case: A-Tech Fabrication 2800HP
    Motherboard: Intel DH77DF H77
    CPU: Intel Core i7-3770T (quad core @ 2.5 GHz, 3.7 GHz Turbo Frequency, 45w TDP)
    RAM: 8GB Corsair (2x4GB) 1600Mhz DDR3
    HDD #1: Corsair Force Series GT 120GB SSD
    HDD #2: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EZRX 1TB
    ODD: Sony Optiarc BC-5650H
    TV Tuner: DigitalNow Quad DVB-T Receiver
    Wireless NIC: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Mini PCIe (6235AN-HMWWB)
    PSU: 160 Watt PicoPSU
    Graphics: Integrated, HD 4000

Pics:

My new HTPC next to the old one in an Origen AE S16V case.

Re: New silent HTPC

looks really nice! A few questions:

1: What do you use it for primarily? Just TV/movies?
    2: What are your temps like?
    3: any reason you chose the i7? It seems like if the answer to 1) is just TV/movies, any of the cheaper chips with the HD4000 would have worked just as well

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: New silent HTPC

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    looks really nice!
    I think so too, it's HTPC chassis pr0n to me, it's so sexy I love looking at it! Is that sad?

1: What do you use it for primarily? Just TV/movies?
    I use it mostly for TV (watching and/recording), movies, music and streaming internet radio, YouTube etc...

2: What are your temps like?
    When I stress tested it, temps never got above 60 degrees. It runs nice and cool, and under normal real world loads it's never going to get anywhere near 60 degrees.

3: any reason you chose the i7? s. seems like if the answer to 1) is just TV/movies, any of the cheaper chips with the HD4000 would have worked just as well
    I chose the i7 3770T because it has a low TDP, 45 watts, which means the rig will run nice and cool. The case is capable of cooling CPUS with TDPs of up to 95 watts but personally I'd never use a CPU with a TDP above 65 watts.

You are right tho it's probably over kill, but then I always over engineer all of my rigs and never have any major problems with them.
    Last edited by Jingles; 10-22-2012 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling, I suck at it.