monitor looses signal until win 7 welcome scrn

Hi guys,
    New to the forum and am really hoping you guys can help me out. Just put an HTPC together with this motherboard
    ASUS F2A85-M PRO Micro ATX from the HW Leaderboard

My problem is that if I connect the computer via DVI to a display it functions normally, but when I hook it up via HDMI to my Flat screen, it doesn't show the splash screen that gives you the option to enter bios. The screen just stays black until the windows welcome screen(win 7) comes up, then it acts totaly normal from that point. When I try to press the del key during the boot, I believe it is entering the bios, but the screen remains black so I can't see anything. I am guessing that the MB is not sending the signal to the Flat Screen until it loads windows, but can't find out anywhere that confirms that or what to do in order to resolve it.

Any ideas???
    Thanks in advance,
    Campbell
    Last edited by cspurlock; 10-30-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Re: newbie question

do you need to enter the bios ?

It would be nice. I came across this because of another issue. I am running xbmc and when the computer sits idle overnight, it looses signal to the monitor. I went through all the power options and everything is set to never sleep or hybernate, so not sure why this is happening. Once it looses signal, I can't re-establish it again, so I am forced to do a hard reboot. This led me to discover the current problem, which I believe is related.

in the nb config, there is a hdmi/dvi port output option that defaults to auto. try setting it to hdmi.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    in the nb config, there is a hdmi/dvi port output option that defaults to auto. try setting it to hdmi.

ud
    Thanks so much for your reply! Excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea what "nb config" is, can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Campbell

sure

i going by the pdf manual. (3.5 advance menu/3.5.4 nb config) so in the bios, look in the advanced menu.

dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM2/F2A85-M_PRO/E7424_F2A85-M_PRO.pdf

I am running xbmc and when the computer sits idle overnight, it looses signal to the monitor. I went through all the power options and everything is set to never sleep or hybernate, so not sure why this is happening. Once it looses signal, I can't re-establish it again, so I am forced to do a hard reboot. This led me to discover the current problem, which I believe is related.
    i have that same type of issue on a rig that is hooked to a kvm and is running os win8 beta. it is the only pc running continuously and if i don't return to it, i have to reboot the system if left for a long period. i have been blaming it on the win8 but it could be the mb.

ud
    Last edited by uddarts; 10-31-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    sure

i going by the pdf manual. (3.5 advance menu/3.5.4 nb config) so in the bios, look in the advanced menu.

dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketFM2/F2A85-M_PRO/E7424_F2A85-M_PRO.pdf

i have that same type of issue on a rig that is hooked to a kvm and is running os win8 beta. it is the only pc running continuously and if i don't return to it, i have to reboot the system if left for a long period. i have been blaming it on the win8 but it could be the mb.

ud
    Thanks for the clarification. I was hoping that there might be something in the bios to fix this, that is when I found out I can't even get into the bios.. URRGH! Looks like I am going to have to dig up a dvi monitor and get into it that way.

Thanks again for your idea, I am keeping my fingers crossed that it does the trick.

Re: monitor looses signal until win 7 welcome scrn

Well unfortunately that didn't work. It still doesn't show bios splash screen and it still looses signal after it sits a while. I would say it is my tv, but I have used it with same setup, just a different motherboard without any issues. Any other ideas?
    Appreciate your thoughts.

You wouldn't by any chance have a DVI to HDMI adapter would you ?
    You just might be able to fool the system by using said adapter plugged into the DVI output on the video card, then plug the HDMI cable into that. The only down side I can think of would be if you are using the HDMI for sound also !
    Electronic Smoke Signals From my "Techno Teepee"
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ 990FX, 1703 bios
    AMD FX 8350 Vishera @ 5142Mhz [21x244] 1.536v
    Water Cooled - Koolance EX2-1055, CPU 370 WB, Idle=22c Load=53c
    32Gb G.Skill Sniper ddr3 1600 8G X 4 , 9-9-9-24 @ 1.55v
    ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5, Cat 13.6 beta 2, Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600
    SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD SATA 6Gb, 250Gb SATA 6Gb, 1Tb SATA 6Gb x2
    Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, Corsair Obsidian 800D, Corsair HX1000w PSU

Quote Originally Posted by cspurlock View Post
    Well unfortunately that didn't work. It still doesn't show bios splash screen and it still looses signal after it sits a while. I would say it is my tv, but I have used it with same setup, just a different motherboard without any issues. Any other ideas?
    Appreciate your thoughts.
    My guess...

You are losing the HDCP handshake between devices.

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    My guess...

You are losing the HDCP handshake between devices.
    Yea, thats what this sounds like, the inability to restore connection following some kind of hibernating/power saving mode being enabled is a classic HDCP problem. I usually don't use HDMI on my monitors because it seems more prone to these kinds of issues. Sadly, since HDCP is DRM, issues with it can be extremely frustrating to troubleshoot. I would try what oldbrave said, if you have a DVI->HDMI adapter, try that instead of the HDMI out on the MB. If that works we can at least use that connection to get into BIOS.

You can also try disabling power saving modes on the HTPC and letting it sit for a while. That would at least tell us if power saving is causing the link to be disabled and not properly restored

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Yea, thats what this sounds like, the inability to restore connection following some kind of hibernating/power saving mode being enabled is a classic HDCP problem. I usually don't use HDMI on my monitors because it seems more prone to these kinds of issues. Sadly, since HDCP is DRM, issues with it can be extremely frustrating to troubleshoot. I would try what oldbrave said, if you have a DVI->HDMI adapter, try that instead of the HDMI out on the MB. If that works we can at least use that connection to get into BIOS.

You can also try disabling power saving modes on the HTPC and letting it sit for a while. That would at least tell us if power saving is causing the link to be disabled and not properly restored
    Ok so I disabled all power saving on MB and windows and it stopped the monitor from losing signal, so half the problem is solved. I agree it seems like a communication between the monitor and the MB is the issue, I was just coming to the same conclusion with my IT guy from work. I don't want to use the dvi to hdmi converter because I am using the audio, any suggestions how to chase down the handshake? This is a little out of my comfort level and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by cspurlock View Post
    Ok so I disabled all power saving on MB and windows and it stopped the monitor from losing signal, so half the problem is solved. I agree it seems like a communication between the monitor and the MB is the issue, I was just coming to the same conclusion with my IT guy from work. I don't want to use the dvi to hdmi converter because I am using the audio, any suggestions how to chase down the handshake? This is a little out of my comfort level and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Campbell
    What are you using for a display ? (model # would be helpful)

For troubleshooting purposes...can you hook up to your display with straight DVI or D-Sub ?

Some video cards you can get audio to hdmi when you use dvi to hdmi adapter and hdmi cable.
    #1 Asus P5E-VM HDMI (htpc backup)
    2x 2gb Corsair Q6600 7900gt
    Wd 250gb sata, NEC dvd burner
    Antec Neo 480,Avermedia a180 HDTV,Cooler Master Mystique case
    LG L246WP-BN 24" widescreen monitor,Vista Home Premium
    #2 HTPC Athlon64 AM2 5000+ BE x2, CORSAIR TWIN2X2048-6400
    ABIT AN-M2, TV Wonder 650 PRO, HauppaugeWinTV-HVR-1600
    ASUS EN8600GT SILENT, LG BluRay/HD dvd combo
    250gb Wd sata II,Xgene HTPC case +Scythe and SilentX fans
    Panasonic AX100 projector + 106" Graywolf screen, Vista Home
    Premium
    #3 Asus Eee 4g

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    What are you using for a display ? (model # would be helpful)

For troubleshooting purposes...can you hook up to your display with straight DVI or D-Sub ?
    PDP-5050hd
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...sma/PDP-5050HD