replace crome os ?

I saw acer and google released a acer cromebook
    http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome...ding-acer.html
    got me thinking , could one reformat this and put in a copy of linux mint ?
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: replace crome os ?

Anything is better than ChromeOS

I would assume Mint will run just as fast as Ubuntu

Samsung's A15 Chromebook Loaded With Ubuntu Is Crazy Fast
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...rome_a15&num=1
    Last edited by MrBlack; 11-23-2012 at 10:11 PM.

I've not done much research into it myself, but I've seen several reviews about the hoops you have to jump through to install Linux on the Samsung Chromebook.

It isn't as easy as just booting from a Linux ISO. Google really wants to get it's Chrome OS off the ground and I'd imagine the Acer would be harder to do it on. Not impossible, but it will take some work from what I've read.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

thanks for the replys . looks like I will just forget about that idea
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

I have had success with crouton first on an Acer and now on a Toshiba chromebook. Crouton allows you to run Linux as a guest OS and quickly switch between Chrome OC and Linux.

Now for me, this is just the PC I take on vacations and use to watch Netflix. So easy chrome OS is fine, but I also have the option of booting into a big boy OS.

Might not be the best solution if you need to use this for real work on a regular basis.

Wow, quite a thread resurrection

I actually bought the wife a Chromebook for Christmas. A 15 inch Acer model with a Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM. I'm actually pretty surprised how nice the thing is and how well it works.

For what it is, it's great. She mainly uses it for recipes and to watch cooking related YouTube channels in the kitchen while she is cooking. The Chrome OS system actually work pretty well.

Granted it has it's limitations and it's useless without WiFi. But for 99% of what people do with a laptop it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Stormy View Post
    Wow, quite a thread resurrection

I actually bought the wife a Chromebook for Christmas. A 15 inch Acer model with a Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM. I'm actually pretty surprised how nice the thing is and how well it works.

For what it is, it's great. She mainly uses it for recipes and to watch cooking related YouTube channels in the kitchen while she is cooking. The Chrome OS system actually work pretty well.

Granted it has it's limitations and it's useless without WiFi. But for 99% of what people do with a laptop it works great.
    I love my Chromebook as well, they're so incredibly cheap. If you use Google app's like docs, sheets, etc then you've pretty much got everything you need. However, I've thought about setting up linux on it somehow. For example, I wanted to use Synergy (similar to chrome remote desktop) on my chromebook, but it's just not supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Procossix81 View Post
    I love my Chromebook as well, they're so incredibly cheap. If you use Google app's like docs, sheets, etc then you've pretty much got everything you need. However, I've thought about setting up linux on it somehow. For example, I wanted to use Synergy (similar to chrome remote desktop) on my chromebook, but it's just not supported.
    No doubt, they are a great value for the price. This is the one I bought for the wife: http://tinyurl.com/hcu4f8h

It has a great screen and speakers on it. I bought a second one to keep out on the garage for myself. I'll watch various project videos and repair videos on youtube while I'm working on something with it a lot.

Also I'll use it for Netflix while I'm sitting out there with a beer and cigar.

I've been thinking about throwing Linux it on it though just for a project. Truth be told though I wouldn't really do anything else with it running linux than I do now so that's the biggest reason I haven't done it. Any real work for me gets done on my desktop PC.