Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel or AMD

Question Intel or AMD

Hi guys i was just wondering how many of you prefer Intel or AMD and why??
    Im also in the process of my first build ever and am stuck in choosing the CPU. Lets face it the build is obviously going to be for gaming but i am also an undergrad student going for a BA in computer science. Which should i get?? Or are there new CPUs coming in the near future?

Thanksss

(If this post does not belongg here i apologize , im newww here)

Re: Intel or AMD

The only thing that AMD really competes on is price. Their latest FX processors are more competitive with what Intel has, and the FX-8350 does pretty well against the i5 3570K and is about $20 cheaper. If you have software that is heavily multi-threaded, then the FX series really starts to shine at their price points. If you rely on gaming and a lot of single threaded workloads, then Intel might be the better answer. If you are willing to spend $300+ on a processor, then the i7 3770K really has no equal. It is just plain fast in everything it does.
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath

Ohh thanks very informative!
    So is it safe to say there isn't that much of a difference between the i7 2700k & 3770k?
    I am probably going to use the PC for gaming and hopefully with dual sli, not sure which gpu yett

Not a huge difference between the 2700 and 3770K. In fact, the 2700 might overclock better. The only thing you would be missing is PCI-E 3.0 support with the 3770. If you are doing high end SLI, it might make a small difference in performance overall.
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath

I am currently using a AMD FX-4170 and it was around $130 when I bought it I bought a 7970 or something like that and My computer works for me. I am sure there are many that would beat it. I still hold a personal grudge against Intel for..no rational reason, but I do so I will stay with AMD...I think

I am definitely anti Nvidia as they bought out Uli chipsets and then killed them.... now my hatred of Nvidia is quite rational...if you had been a Uli fan.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

GO INTEL!

GO AMD!
    Last edited by 3dfxrain; 04-18-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: more cheerleading

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Op, budget and what games do you plan on playing?

The Pokey has spoken. You should pay proper attention.

I use an AMD Phenom ii, but am honestly thinking there isn't a viable upgrade for this CPU unless I get an Intel or AMD pulls something out of a hat - a hat that contains good processors!

I've been running an AMD X6 for 3 years now and still see no reason to upgrade. The most demanding thing I do with my PC is game and not even Battlefield 3 comes close to pushing my CPU to its limit. If I was in need of an upgrade the only thing that would make me consider Intel is being able to build a more power efficient PC. I don't need any additional performance and I don't care about bragging rights.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I've been running an AMD X6 for 3 years now and still see no reason to upgrade. The most demanding thing I do with my PC is game and not even Battlefield 3 comes close to pushing my CPU to its limit. If I was in need of an upgrade the only thing that would make me consider Intel is being able to build a more power efficient PC. I don't need any additional performance and I don't care about bragging rights.

I saw an improvement going from a CPU like yours to a piledriver. Much more then I expected in BF3 dude.

If you want to have the fastest processor possible, Intel. If you want to get the best value for your money, AMD.

That's really all there is to it.

GPUs are the biggest component to running a game at a good frame rate. My recommendation is if you have any kind of budget, spend the CPU money on AMD, and put the savings towards either a better GPU or an SSD. If money is no object, grab the fastest Intel chip you can find.
    AMD FX-8150
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3
    16 GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z DDR3-1600
    EVGA GeFroce GTX 970
    Corsair 800GS 800W Gaming Series P/S
    OCZ Vertex 2 100GB SSD
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
    WD Caviar Green 2TB HD

Well whatever the reason I now have two 8350's One in a Gigabyte board and one will be in a ASRock when it comes back from RMA. Not scared of ASRock I will buy a extreme 9 board and get the latest FX-9590 CPU for it. I'll get AMD Memory too (RE-Branded Patriot, but that's okay, I know it will work)
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Hmm I think I heard AMD ram is rebadged patriot, but not all.