I need an upgrade.....Help please!

I have been an AMD user since about '95, my first was a 600Mhz purchased from BB (forgot the brand but I think it was an Acer), I than started DIY using the Acer case and upgrading the MB along with slapping in a T-bird 1 gig prosessor. I have been through several builds and am currently at my sig, it's deffinetly getting long in the tooth!
    I have had cold boot problems for about 6 months (not sure if it's the PSU or MB) and recently devolped BSOD problems. I checked my sticks individually and one of them turned out to be bad so I removed it, now i'm running on 1 gig and my rig is running a bit slower but no BSOD problems.

With that said i'm long overdue for an upgrade and i'd like to stay with AMD and would like some advice (i'm thinking about $1000 total)
    I know i'll have to upgrade my OS so please keep that in mind.
    My wants are...
    An SSD
    1 TB HD to go along with my SSD
    Video card does not have to be cutting edge but I would prefer ATI
    16 gigs ram(?)
    MB around $100ish?
    I'm not sure if I need a new PSU, i'll see if I can get it checked out
    I have a Pentax K-5 and will be using Lightroom for prosessing my raw files (raw files are around 20Mb)

Thanks as always,
    Ray
    AMD 8320
    Gigabyte GA990FXUD3
    2X8 GSkill Ripjaw X series
    Sapphire 7770
    Samsung 830 256GB SSD
    WD Black 1TB
    Seasonic X750 Gold

Re: I need an upgrade.....Help please!

At the risk of being seen as unimaginitive, you could start like I did...select one of the HW Leaderboard systems based on budget, and replicate it. At least you know the thing will work! Tweak it by using resources like cpubenchmark.net. Best of luck, have fun with it!

I think your best bet is with the CPU. Get the best AMD CPU and then the cheapest mobo and mem you can as you mentioned image processing and for that I would probably go Intel.

If you're going down the SSD route, make sure that everything is automatically backed up or stored to the sata drive. As SSD can be temperamental. And if the drive becomes corrupt, kiss bye bye to all your files permanently.
    Mobo: Asus P5Q SE Plus
    CPU: Intel E8400 Wolfdale
    Mem:Corsair XMS 2x4 Gbs
    HDs:WD 500Gb Sata
    Samsung Spinpoint 500Gb Sata
    WD 1TB sata
    Vid Card: Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti 1Gb ram
    Sound: Speedlink 7.1
    DvD/RW: Optiarc
    PSU:650 watts
    Case: Antec PlusView 1000AMG Metallic
    Monitor: Hanns-G 22" HD screen
    Speakers: Creative Labs 5.1 surround sound analogue
    Keyboard: MS 4000 ergonimic
    Mouse: Logitech m500

I agree with Fr3d about backing everything automatically...you never know.

To answer your question, you have lots of options, especially with your budget:

I'd start by checking out some of the 7000 series gpus (you can start here), these will do great for gaming.

As for memory, 8GB is fine, but I never say no to more mem, so if you can squeeze 16GB in your budget, I'd say go for it!

CPU: I'd look at the FX 8-core

About the PSU, recent GPUs require more power, so when shopping, make sure you meet the min requirements. Anything above 600W should work.

One last thing, check Amazon or Newegg
    Sam
    Community Manager, Enthusiast and Component Channel Communications
    Official AMD Representative