Video Card performance vs cost recommendation.....

I'm building a new system, Will do some gaming,

CPU will be a i5 3570K,
    Mobo Asrock Z77 Extreme 6

I'm looking at a GTX 670 or 660.

The cost diff is about $120. Both of the cards will be light years over what I have now. I've read nVidia's specs on the two cards but w/o any experience with them not sure if the difference is worth the extra cost.

Thanks

Re: Video Card performance vs cost recommendation.....

What games do you foresee playing and what resolution will you be gaming at?
    PCPer writer and podcaster
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshDWalrath

Maybe an online flight sim. My GF's son likes to play an old Command and Conquer game I have. I like to max out the settings when I run them.

In general the 660Ti will be the better value because it gives a significant percentage of the performance for a dis-proportionally lower cost. Moving up the food chain generally brings diminishing returns for the money. That said, if you're gaming at higher resolutions or with certain intensive games the extra cost might be necessary to make games playable. It doesn't sound like this is the case for you right now, so I'd say the 660Ti would be the smarter buy. Both cards are new enough that the benchmark suites should be similar for the reviews here on PcPer so if you'd like to get a better idea of relative performance you should give those a peek.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present