Apple discreetly moving jobs back to America

Some jobs.

Some of the new iMacs are made in Elk Grove, California. Some are still made in China.

As a lot of you know, there's been a lot of political pressure on Apple lately. They're a boomingly successful American business, but everything they make was made in China by the lowest bidder. I know some unions and politicians from both sides of the aisles have pressured Apple to move some of that manufacturing back to the United States.

I don't know what's more shocking. That Apple is moving tech manufacturing jobs back to the United States, or that they aren't making a bigger deal about. There was no press release or announcement from Apple about this. Some folks noticed that the back of the new iMacs say "Assembled in the USA" and then somebody backtraced that to a story from a few months back about Apple increasing the workforce at their assembly plant/distribution plant in Elk Grove.

I don't think this will spread. Apple is the only electronics manufacturer with a massive margin on hardware.

I wonder what it costs Apple to ship the components to California. If you talk to a Motorola or Dell rep and harass them about why an American company builds crap in China, they'll say "Well, the screen and other components are made in Asia so it's cheaper to assemble it there." That's been most of these companies official lines on why these things are assembled in Shenzhen for $3 a unit or whatever.

Re: Apple discreetly moving jobs back to America

It makes sense to move them back when the volume is relatively small I suppose. But for high volume assembly etc how can we compete really when the factory that makes Iphones and other junk employes 235,000 people.
    In any event, Im always glad to see stuff made here so long as the market isnt destroyed via high wages.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    It makes sense to move them back when the volume is relatively small I suppose.
    Right on, Jim. Apple is probably selling way fewer iMacs (the desktop, obviously) than they used too.

What's weird to me is that some folks with the new iMacs say that theirs still says "Assembled in China" on the back. So not all of them are being made in America. That to me smells like a stunt so Apple can make an announcement about jobs coming back to America. But, no announcement. It just must be a purely logistical move.

Maybe they're not planning in these jobs lasting forever, so they're not really advertising that they brought XYZ jobs back to California.

If I was being cynical, I'd say that quietly moving some jobs back will allow them to defend themselves from future attacks based on the the fact that they make everything in China under questionable labor conditions or make claims in the future that they increased the number of jobs in US for PR reasons, without drawing undue attention to the fact that they still make almost everything in china for dirt cheap.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

It makes sense to move them back when the volume is relatively small I suppose. But for high volume assembly etc how can we compete really when the factory that makes Iphones and other junk employes 235,000 people.
    In any event, Im always glad to see stuff made here so long as the market isnt destroyed via high wages.

Alot of manufacturing jobs are coming back from China for small orders.

My understanding of this is that most retailers are now moving towards a lean inventory business model (Six Sigma Crap). For various reasons, retailers don't want to carry alot of excess product at any given time. Instead they want it to be hand to mouth. This kind of business model makes ordering product from China very difficult because you can't afford to wait 6 weeks for stuff to get here and ordering in small quantity from such a great distance often cancels out the cost effectiveness of getting product from there in the first place.
    A few reasons why they're doing this
    If Best Buy orders 1000 iPhones, but only sells 800 of them before the next generation is released, they get stuck with selling 200 or so last gen iPhones at a cut rate and likely losing profit. Another big reason is that companies want to have as little assets invested in product as possible which basically means the most cash on hand possible at any given time. And from what I understand this makes them look good to creditors, shareholders etc. etc.

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

^^Oh they are smart with inventories thats for sure. Recall the days years ago when PC componants were shipped essentially from a ship offshore as an effort to reduce property tax/other tax exposure. I imagine about the same situation exists for sellers beyond the brick and mortar "place". When we buy from an Amazon sort of outfit...there is no real reason to take physical possesion of inventory when shipments can be made from an offshore location. Also answers another cost issue..why handle inventory..place it into storage locally and handle it again at point of sale? We all learned from business practice studies the more a "thing" is handled the more valuable it has to become. So with the remote shipping locations all that cost is saved/lessened.

Yeah, Cook talked with Bloomberg BusinessWeek and also talked about US manufacturing.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ple-ceo-speaks

BusinessWeek: You were instrumental in getting Apple out of the manufacturing business. What would it take to get Apple back to building things and, specifically, back to building things in the U.S.?

Tim Cook: It’s not known well that the engine for the iPhone and iPad is made in the U.S., and many of these are also exported—the engine, the processor. The glass is made in Kentucky. And next year we are going to bring some production to the U.S. on the Mac. We’ve been working on this for a long time, and we were getting closer to it. It will happen in 2013. We’re really proud of it. We could have quickly maybe done just assembly, but it’s broader because we wanted to do something more substantial. So we’ll literally invest over $100 million. This doesn’t mean that Apple will do it ourselves, but we’ll be working with people, and we’ll be investing our money.

BusinessWeek: On that subject, it’s 2012. You’re a multinational. What are the obligations of an American company to be patriotic, and what do you think that means in a globalized era?

Tim Cook: (Pause.) That’s a really good question. I do feel we have a responsibility to create jobs. I don’t think we have a responsibility to create a certain kind of job, but I think we do have a responsibility to create jobs. I think we have a responsibility to give back to the communities, to pick ways that we can do that … and not just in the U.S., but abroad as well. I think we have the responsibility to make great products that we can recycle and that are environmentally friendly. I think we have a responsibility to make products that have a greater good in them.

That’s the one that is most important of all, because a cigarette company could give back things and environmentally dispose of their product or something like that. But we want to provide a product that changes people’s lives in some way. We spend a lot of energy focusing on education. We created iBooks Author and gave it away for free. We wanted to reinvent the textbook and reinvent the classroom and try to really go a long way to solving the student engagement problem. It doesn’t solve every problem in education, but it solves a very important one, right?

^^Pretty much I agree with the guy with an added caveat. I dont believe jobs should be created beyond ordinary and necessary need to satisfy some imagined moral position that is oh so vogue these days. For me personally Businesses only need to answer the implied morality found in law. Pay your bills, pay creditors and always bargain in good faith. I will never accept the Warren et al position that businesses are formed and must pay for some "original sin" called infrastructure....as if Government paid for that stuff out of its own pockets. At most they wrote checks on money we provided. In the end all of us citizens built the infrastructure..not government.

^^Pretty much I agree with the guy with an added caveat. I dont believe jobs should be created beyond ordinary and necessary need to satisfy some imagined moral position that is oh so vogue these days. For me personally Businesses only need to answer the implied morality found in law. Pay your bills, pay creditors and always bargain in good faith. I will never accept the Warren et al position that businesses are formed and must pay for some "original sin" called infrastructure....as if Government paid for that stuff out of its own pockets. At most they wrote checks on money we provided. In the end all of us citizens built the infrastructure..not government.
    Agree 100% Jim.

Actually Im glad you brought all this up. Apple is a good example of the "modern company" and all the "why's" are ever talked about in a sane way. Apple has been painted as bordering on unpatriotic over foreign profit recognition, cash hoards and greedy devils that make everything with slave labor....while snibbing their nose at all of us. None of the claims are true.
    There isnt an American alive that behaves any differently really. Do we price shop one store to another? Of course. Do we take advantage of sales? Of course. Do we take legitimate deductions on ourtaxes? Yes again.
    Point is the reasoning that companies utilize is the very same reasoning that makes us good shoppers. And there is no sin in the old "buy low/sell high" idea. Some folks accuse companies that employ the notion of being vultures. But its somehow "different" when we remain silent when we find a pile of porterhouse marked down to 5.49. Its funny how that works.

Foxxconn to expand in US?

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/07/tech...html?iid=HP_LN
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 12-07-2012 at 08:09 AM.