Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam Linux

Re: Steam Linux

Quote Originally Posted by mmettin View Post
    Most of the time, sound & video cards wont be supported (OOB) without getting down n dirty with the command line.
    I'm not sure on sound cards but most recent GPUs work very easily by visiting the device manager and installing from there. Under Ubuntu or its family of distros this usually means your not getting the very latest driver, but it works. Especially if we're talking Nvidia.

As for sound, I don't have a sound card but my USB M-Audio MobilePre II works fine with nothing else installed.
    PC Pimp

I have a htpc that I built and used steam o/s. I had hoped for little more functionality, but it works ok.
    I installed chromium with pepplerflash and pipelight so I could use netflix, xbmc for streaming video from my main computer. I added some game emulators, but my linux skills are not up to getting them all working correctly and integrating them into steam. I had a vision of a full steambox that could do all of this stuff using only the xbox type controller, but it hasn't all worked out. I am hoping for a little more development from steamos.

There is a pretty small library of steam games that work with a controller and linux, but you can now stream your games from another computer in order to play. It works well on my wired network, I haven't tried over wireless.

I did have issues with the first gpu, a hd5450. I could never get it to work. The second gpu, a gt750 works well right from the start. Plenty of power for 720P. I output the sound over hdmi, but have had no problems with that.
    Last edited by Ouroboros; 09-27-2014 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
    I have a htpc that I built and used steam o/s. I had hoped for little more functionality, but it works ok.
    I installed chromium with pepplerflash and pipelight so I could use netflix, xbmc for streaming video from my main computer. I added some game emulators, but my linux skills are not up to getting them all working correctly and integrating them into steam. I had a vision of a full steambox that could do all of this stuff using only the xbox type controller, but it hasn't all worked out. I am hoping for a little more development from steamos.

There is a pretty small library of steam games that work with a controller and linux, but you can now stream your games from another computer in order to play. It works well on my wired network, I haven't tried over wireless.

I did have issues with the first gpu, a hd5450. I could never get it to work. The second gpu, a gt750 works well right from the start. Plenty of power for 720P. I output the sound over hdmi, but have had no problems with that.
    This probably doesn't help or make you feel any better, but from the chatter in the corner of the interwebs, Big Picture Mode and Steam in general will be getting some rather large media partners. I can only assume this will be the likes of Netflix and others.

I personally don't know if i would use Steam OS for an HTPC just yet. I think that running Ubuntu will have much better support currently for many things. Also I know your post we done before the news but Netflix is natively supported on Ubuntu.
    PC Pimp