Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flu shots

Re: Flu shots

Why don't you go and see if Obama will give you one.?

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

lol, I'm self-employed so the government doesn't give me anything for free.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    Why don't you go and see if Obama will give you one.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    lol, I'm self-employed so the government doesn't give me anything for free.
    This is incorrect. Obama does in fact help out the self-employed with with shots. They are not however free and they require you to bend over.

I had given up on my reply (post #13) ever showing up. Why did it take an entire week?

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    Not all flu vaccines (most probably don't) contain live pathogens (and that's with the assumption you consider viruses to be 'alive'). And perhaps most of the side effects listed in the documentation have next to nothing to do with the flu shot.
    You're correct in that most are the inactivated types but how can one not consider a virus to be alive? They can be observed and have functions like other living organisms (however simplistic). They attack and rupture cells and replicate themselves; how much more alive do they need to get? As for the side effects in the documentation, why else would they be placed there? Maybe because the manufacturers enjoy having a bad image?

Is this actually true? And is it actually legal? I know not all doctors take all vaccines that are available to them. I'm surprised if in the US vaccines are forced on people, especially flu vaccines...
    Its true but legality-wise, Im told its a big mess that may have to go to the very top. State laws can get overturned but a few lawyers I've discussed it with are not optimistic, given the embedded nature of courts to multinationals companies these days. Right now, it seems to be a game of bluff or ba11s and scare tactics. Different municipalities (police, emergency responders, etc.) and hospital administrations approach it differently so the experiences vary. From what I've seen, when doctors and nurses stand united (or threaten to walk in one case), officials usually back down. From what I've read though, dissenting or opposing them may become more difficult to do.

You never get into a bad car accident until you do either though... Might as well still you wear a seat belt though?
    lol. Not so good an analogy as the stakes are different. Many more die from auto accidents than the flu - again, as I've shown earlier, only 100s to the low 1000s, and hardly any are actually confirmed. Also, the CDC have admitted to not knowing the real number. Another point is that while no one is immune from auto accidents (and should buckle up), almost a third of older adults have natural immunity from the flu anyway, so a particular shot in one season may not help them.

So Keven, whats the verdict? Did you get it as yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ea1985 View Post
    So Keven, whats the verdict? Did you get it as yet?
    Not yet. Too lazy to actually go to the Walgreens and get one. At this point, I might actually not bother.

Every year after Christmas I go to the Red Cross and donate blood. Does anybody know if getting a flu shot affects that either way? Or if they won't give me a flu shot if I just donated blood?

Is this the flu shot support group? I am 3dfxrain and I am a flu shot junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain View Post
    Is this the flu shot support group? I am 3dfxrain and I am a flu shot junkie.
    I could see you going to get two, three flu shots in a single year.

I consider that to be possible.

I had given up on my reply (post #13) ever showing up. Why did it take an entire week?
    I am at times occupied by the illusion of life.

You're correct in that most are the inactivated types but how can one not consider a virus to be alive? They can be observed and have functions like other living organisms (however simplistic). They attack and rupture cells and replicate themselves; how much more alive do they need to get?
    I didn't say I don't consider them to be alive, I actually do, but even if I do, it isn't as simple as you make it out to be. The viruses are really only 'alive' after integrated into the host cell and they actually don't really replicate themselves, but rather use the host cell to replicate themselves. If you observe a virus by itself, you don't have much to observe.

As for the side effects in the documentation, why else would they be placed there? Maybe because the manufacturers enjoy having a bad image?
    They are in the documentation since the manufacturers are required to put them in the documentation. There isn't a single drug on the planet that does not have e.g. headache, nausea and diarrhoea listed as side effects, even if they had less of those side effects than a placebo. Correlation and causation do not go hand-in-hand.

Its true but legality-wise, Im told its a big mess that may have to go to the very top. State laws can get overturned but a few lawyers I've discussed it with are not optimistic, given the embedded nature of courts to multinationals companies these days. Right now, it seems to be a game of bluff or ba11s and scare tactics. Different municipalities (police, emergency responders, etc.) and hospital administrations approach it differently so the experiences vary. From what I've seen, when doctors and nurses stand united (or threaten to walk in one case), officials usually back down. From what I've read though, dissenting or opposing them may become more difficult to do.
    Probably most (if not all) countries in the world have some sort of emergency laws that forces people to take vaccines, but those laws aren't easily (or lightly) used. I'm really surprised that the 'land of the free' is something else again...

lol. Not so good an analogy as the stakes are different. Many more die from auto accidents than the flu - again, as I've shown earlier, only 100s to the low 1000s, and hardly any are actually confirmed. Also, the CDC have admitted to not knowing the real number. Another point is that while no one is immune from auto accidents (and should buckle up), almost a third of older adults have natural immunity from the flu anyway, so a particular shot in one season may not help them.
    Hardly any are confirmed, but if they were, the number of flu deaths in the US is at least a few thousands per flu season. There were over 3000 confirmed deaths during the 'swine flu epidemic' and it hardly caused any more fatalities than a regular flu (this only in terms of numbers, since the demographics of the victims was truly different).
    Granted: The 'seat belt- flu shot'-analogy is not a perfect analogy, but the numbers really aren't all that far off (~10 times more people die in car accidents) and still a significant number of people actually die because of influenza.

FWIW back in the day when I was in the service the flu shots were not optional. I was on primary mobility so they used me as a pincushion on a regular basis with immunizations for everything on the shelf. Anyway.. I really hated the flu shots. Gave me at the very least a mild fever every time I got one. I used to take Motrin directly after every shot. Not sure if getting one ever spared me additional sickness but to this day I have never gotten one after my enlistment was up.

My2c.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

One girl I knew had a flu shot, the next day she never work up. The doctors said it's a mystery, but that there's no proof it was the flu shot. Also some 20yo guy in my town had one of these, he had some reaction, went into a coma, came out a few days later but it's never been able to walk since. That's enough to put a doubt into my mind so I'll be skipping the flu shots as I've had flu before and I consider it a perfectly natural part of life.

Death is also a perfectly natural part of life.

As the late, great, Warren Zevon would say: Life will kill ya!

I got the flu shot back in November-ish, and I'm home from work today with what sure feels like the flu. What's odd, it's without all the throwing up and sitting on the toilet all day. It's like I went straight to the 2nd and 3rd days of having a bad flu...severe body aches (like with the dehydration), headache, fever. Zero appetite.

So maybe I don't have the flu, but if I do, it seems like the shot is at least making it less severe?
    Nuke em'.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I got the flu shot back in November-ish, and I'm home from work today with what sure feels like the flu. What's odd, it's without all the throwing up and sitting on the toilet all day. It's like I went straight to the 2nd and 3rd days of having a bad flu...severe body aches (like with the dehydration), headache, fever. Zero appetite.

So maybe I don't have the flu, but if I do, it seems like the shot is at least making it less severe?
    A LOT of people I know here have had this, including my wife and kids. To a lesser extent I had something that caused me to have headaches for a couple of days, trouble breathing while working out, and an overall stuffy head feeling. I and my family never got a fever. My teenage daughter got the worst of it with bad headaches and nausea. If it was the flu I had I'll never get a flu shot as it was no big deal to me.