Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your games of the year

Mine

FPS - Borderlands 2/Far Cry 3
    Strategy - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Sports - NBA 2K12
    RPG - Guild Wars 2/SWTOR (Was at the very end of 2011 though I played it in 2012)

Overall - I don't know. All of the above.

Re: Your games of the year

Far Cry 3, easily my favorite of the year. I thought Max Payne 3 was good too, but it pales in comparison. I've yet to play Hitman Absolution though so my opinion might change. I doubt it though was FC3 is the most fun I've had in a long time gaming. Borderlands 2 was a big letdown for me. I've not played it in a month. I'm not ready to give up on it yet though and will get back to it eventually after FC3 and Hitman.

Hmmm, I need to think about this and compile my list.

That's ok, you can take your time.

Ok, my Top 10 of favorite 2012 games. Starting with #10 and going to #1.

#10 - Max Payne 3 - Cool to see an old PC third-person shooter franchise rebooted. Jumping around and shooting guys in slow-mo is as fun as ever. This game featured some really cool levels (the soccer stadium, the corporate offices, etc.). A great story, and the guy who voiced Max Payne is back and a better voice actor than ever, unfortunately, without the cool noir-style comic book panels, Max Payne's bitching about his life just makes him seem like a whiny punk.

#9 - The Walking Dead - This would definitely had ranked higher, except I was stung by one of the many problems of this game reported widely across all three platforms (PC, PS3 and Xbox 360). I went to go play Episode 5, and my save from Episode 4 had disappeared completely. The Walking Dead is an interesting adventure game that has a really dark mood and has you making some interesting (and hard) choices, but when the whole point of the game is importing your decisions from episode to episode, it's a major buzzkill when all my choices made in Episode 4 are gone. Reviewing games isn't just like reviewing movies, it's also a little bit like reviewing software. From a software standpoint, TWD was buggy and disappointing (and I'm not the only one with save game issues in this game, as aforementioned). Because of that, TWD gets bumped down lower.

#8 - Binary Domain - A Gears of War clone developed in Japan sounds terrible. But, this game actually isn't. Combat is fun and solid, despite being a generic sci-fi third person shooter. This has been an interesting year for storytelling in video games, and Binary Domain raises some interesting Michael Crition-esque questions about robotics. At the beginning of the game, the characters seem like generic, bland, stereotypes but they go through some great characterization and by the end, you'll love them like buds.

#7 - FTL: Faster Than Light - This game is hard as hell, but really addicting. Traditionally, I don't like "Rouge-likes" or "Rouge-like-likes", but FTL is so fun, and it's relatively short, so I don't mind its punishing difficulty. The random events really add something to this game. After I beat it once and I unlocked the human heavy cruiser, I assumed I could coast my way to the final boss. Not so fast - a random encounter with an enemy ship led to my life support being disabled and my big ship died in Sector 3. This is a great, fun, indie game. Anybody who likes space games or strategy games needs to pick this one up.

#6 - Dishonored - Another game that told a really good story, this game has done first-person stealth as good as anybody with some really interesting mechanics and level design. The whole art design of this world is really great, with the sort of Victorian/Steampunk thing going on. Great game, some great characters, some great missions. If Hitman doesn't go back to what it was, I could see a game like Dishonored becoming the new open world stealth favorite. Speaking of Hitman...

#5 - Hitman: Absolution - This game is a decided departure from old Hitman games. They tried some new things, some of which worked, and some of which didn't. Despite the gameplay changes, this game features some great levels, great weapons and great disguises. The overall plot is bizarre, stupid and hilarious, but it features some fun characters that you love to hate.

#4 - Sleeping Dogs - This game was stuck in a Duke Nukem Forever-style development hell. It was orginally an open-world GTA style game set in Hong Kong called something. Then, Activision picked it up and wanted to make it apart of their True Crime series of games. Then, Activison let it die and Square Enix picked it up. Generally, that isn't a great precedent for great games, but Sleeping Dogs is great! It's a great iteration on open world games. Their version of Hong Kong is a great setting for a game like this, and a decided departure from the Americanized cities that we see in most open world games. My two favorite things in this game - first, guns are rare, even among bad guys, because this isn't America and guns aren't everywhere. Second, you drive on the wrong (left) side of the road, because that's how they drive in Hong Kong. No attention is paid to the fact that the cars drive on the wrong side, there's no line of dialog from the main character (who had been living in America before the events of the game) like "Oh, I forgot, I have to drive on the left now!". It's just there, and that's how it is. A great open-world type game. Bonus points for realizing a Dx11 and high-res pack for us PC gamers.

#3 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown - I do not believe they made an XCOM game in 2012 and it was a hardcore strategy game. They made some changes to the XCOM formula, but they were all good. This is a really awesome game. Like TWD, this game has some really terrible bugs that really ruined the experience for me.

#2 - Spec Ops: The Line - Like Binary Domain, on the surface, this is a generic modern military third-person shooter set in the desert. But, this game really has some interesting things to say about war, and war/military video games. Issues like command responsibility and war crimes are brought up. This game puts a dark face on war and doesn't glorify it like sometimes war movies/games do. Quite frankly, it's shocking this game ever game out. It was published by a major studio (2K Games). The issues raised by this game would be the kind of thing you would see in a Flash game or a free indie game or something. Props to the suits at Take-Two for having the balls to publish this. A few great plot twists near the end and the voice acting of the amazing Bruce Boxleitner (Babylon 5, TRON) make this one a fave for me.

#1 - Mass Effect 3 - "What? Mass Effect 3? Is he crazy?"

Yes, I am crazy, but that's beside the point.

Mass Effect 3 is my game of the year for a number of reasons. In case you haven't figured it out by now, storytelling in games is something I'm into, and Mass Effect 3 tells some good stories and pulls on the heart strings. Yes, the orginial ending is terrible and the "Extended Cut" is stupid and bland. Yes, the explination for the Reapers is terrible. Yes, the Jessica Chobot character is actively offensive to me. But, this game really tells some good stories along the way. Hanging out with Garrus on the Citadel. Choosing to betray the Krogans or not. Settling the dispute between the Geth and Quarians. Mordin and the elevator (being intentionally vague, but those who know will know) is something that actively almost brought me to tears. There are a lot of great storytelling moments. Despite the terrible ending, this game is great along the way.

Gameplay wise, I think it's the best Mass Effect, which I know can be an unpopular opinion. I didn't care for ME1's gameplay. I know some (Odogg) think that Mass Effect 2 and 3 are just generic sticky cover shooters, but I think they really found a sweet middle ground between a pure all-action game and RPG in ME2, and ME3 (gameplay wise) is just a perfected ME2. They got rid of all the •••••••• vehicle sequences and stupid hacking mini-games that plagued ME1 and ME2 and let you get down to business.

It isn't perfect. The ending/explanation for the Reapers is dumb. The way they caved into fan pressure and produced an even more watered-down noncommittal ending is also creative and intellectual cowardice and also dumb. The multiplayer is pointless. It has very few squadmates, despite you spending the whole game hanging out with your other squadmates from past games, who say they are too busy to help you, but seem to be doing nothing. The N7 missions that take place on multiplayer maps are absolutely stupid and lazy.

But, despite the flaws, ME3 is a great playing game that closes out the Mass Effect stories with some great conclusions to some of the most pressing issues in that universe.

The "Wish I Had Played It" Award - Borderlands 2, wanted to get it, but was over my gaming budget for that month and never managed to pick it up. Also, Far Cry 3, my parents wanted something to get me for Christmas, so I suggested FC3. So I haven't played it yet.

Worst Game of 2012 - Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - This game is ••••••• terrible and is the worst ••••••• third-peson shooter ever made in the history of mankind or video games. Wait, the first Lost Planet was worse, but Raccoon City is also actively offensive and terrible.

2012's 2011 Game of the Year - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - •••••••, this game is good.
    Last edited by Keven; 12-21-2012 at 03:18 AM.

ya i can't wait for another witcher fantastic series. assassins of kings really showed how good a sequel could be.

did you not like farcry 3 keven? that and borderlands 2 have been my favorite go to fps games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by modru2004 View Post
    ya i can't wait for another witcher fantastic series. assassins of kings really showed how good a sequel could be.

did you not like farcry 3 keven? that and borderlands 2 have been my favorite go to fps games this year.
    I can answer that for you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Keven
    my parents wanted something to get me for Christmas, so I suggested FC3. So I haven't played it yet.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Hmm, after seeing how much Kevin liked Sleeping Dogs, I may give it another try. I played about 30 minutes of it, got to the lame fighting tutorial and promptly uninstalled. I didn't feel like memorizing all the shortcuts required to fight. In fairness to Sleeping Dogs though, I was way too excited to play Hitman and FC3 that also came with my shiny new Radeon so I didn't give it as much of a chance as I would had I actually paid money for it.

Quote Originally Posted by kbohip View Post
    Hmm, after seeing how much Kevin liked Sleeping Dogs, I may give it another try. I played about 30 minutes of it, got to the lame fighting tutorial and promptly uninstalled. I didn't feel like memorizing all the shortcuts required to fight. In fairness to Sleeping Dogs though, I was way too excited to play Hitman and FC3 that also came with my shiny new Radeon so I didn't give it as much of a chance as I would had I actually paid money for it.
    Did you play the Batman games (Arkham Asylum, Arkham City)? The combat system in Sleeping Dogs is very similar to that, almost an open-world fighting game. Another cool thing about the game, in addition to the left-hand drive traffic, is that guns are very rare in Sleeping Dogs because it takes place in Hong Kong, not America. This isn't GTA or Saints Row where guns are everywhere and you spend every mission gunning guys down. For the most part, your fists (and feet) are your primary weapon in that game.

Unfortunately, the devs break that illusion a little bit because in the later story missions, they basically give you an assault rifle to start several important late story missions, and the game turns into a third-person shooter.

Also, the foot chase missions in Sleeping Dogs are bad. Chasing bad guys on foot, even with the parkour system they have, is not fun. For some reason, they start the game a foot chase sequence, much to my chagrin.

Lots of other games that are worthy, if I didn't mention, they shouldn't take it the wrong way, they are/can be appreciated.

Like Keven, I like FTL a lot. Tough, but fun. It was also such an easy game to commit time to because it was so straightforward. I suppose ME3 has to be on the list as well. I see that Keven thinks my impression of those games is that they're simply bad sticky shooters, but I do appreciate the story element of that game. I did find the gameplay to be diminished by the "stickiness" aspect in ME3, but the story was hugely enjoyable for the most part. Unfortunately, the ending was so bad that it really sort of ruined the whole series for me. So heres my top few 2012 releases over the course of 2012:

#5 Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    #4 Spec Ops: The Line
    #3 Mass Effect 3
    #2 FTL
    #1 Borderlands 2

Other games I played during 2012 that weren't 2012 releases that are worthy of mention:

The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings
    BF3 (based on sheer volume of hours)

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    I see that Keven thinks my impression of those games is that they're simply bad sticky shooters, but I do appreciate the story element of that game. I did find the gameplay to be diminished by the "stickiness" aspect in ME3, but the story was hugely enjoyable for the most part.
    lol, I don't really think that. Just as I recall, when we were playing the ME3 beta with Matt you said ME1 was your favorite overall because ME2 and ME3 were sticky cover shooters. Maybe it was in the ME3 thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    lol, I don't really think that. Just as I recall, when we were playing the ME3 beta with Matt you said ME1 was your favorite overall because ME2 and ME3 were sticky cover shooters. Maybe it was in the ME3 thread too.
    Fair enough, I probably did say that. There were lots of aspects of ME1 combat that were kind of crappy, but my feeling is that the changes in ME2 were not completely positive. I think they made quite a few modifications that were reactions to reception of ME1 combat, but that they went too far in "streamlining." Between the two, I think ME1 was better despite its flaws. ME3 managed to address a decent amount of that, but I still don't think it was the best it could have been. i.e. ME3 was somewhere between ME1 & ME2, but closer to ME2, I would have preferred it if it had been closer to ME1. On several occasions I found the sticky cover system to severely impact my ability to play the game, which is an indictment right there. If I'm actively cursing a "feature" in the game, its not a good "feature"

Trust me, I do science

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Fair enough, I probably did say that. There were lots of aspects of ME1 combat that were kind of crappy, but my feeling is that the changes in ME2 were not completely positive. I think they made quite a few modifications that were reactions to reception of ME1 combat, but that they went too far in "streamlining." Between the two, I think ME1 was better despite its flaws. ME3 managed to address a decent amount of that, but I still don't think it was the best it could have been. i.e. ME3 was somewhere between ME1 & ME2, but closer to ME2, I would have preferred it if it had been closer to ME1. On several occasions I found the sticky cover system to severely impact my ability to play the game, which is an indictment right there. If I'm actively cursing a "feature" in the game, its not a good "feature"
    I think the combat in ME1 can be janky at times, but it still is a great game. I find it kind of hard to rank all the games. ME2 is probably my favorite, but they all are good.

#1 Borderlands 2 - Never had so much fun in a game with the humor and the shoot and loot playstyle. I just didn't get into BL1 all that much, I honestly think it's because it felt so slow starting out and it was a lot more fun playing with a friend than solo. Borderlands 2 on the other hand, I played 100 hours almost in 2 weeks and I'm still really liking the class diversities and the humorous lines as well as the personalities of the different enemies.

#2 Far Cry 3 - Borderlands 2 has taken my time up quite a bit because I bought both of these at the same time. What I have played of Far Cry 3 is mostly multiplayer and I really really like it. It takes me back to the days when strategy and skill were equally important factors. It's not just about how fast I can twitch my crosshair onto someone but also who gets the drop on who and who has the higher ground so to speak. It's rare that a FPS makes me think about what I am doing more than just putting crosshair on face and pulling down.

#3 Counter-Strike: GO - This game brings me back to 1.6 where it was about knowing your guns, knowing your maps, having that twitch aiming skill. I enjoy competitive gaming and played for some sponsored teams back in 1.6 and source. This is my go to competitive game. It's well balanced, maps are very easy to learn but have enough variance to them that they create mildly dynamic engagements.

#4 Alan Wake - I'm pretty sure this is an older game but I picked it up at the beginning of this year. This game will creep you out. It's got amazing atmosphere and personality. Made by Remedy, makers of Max Payne 1 and 2. It's rare anymore that a game creeps me out to be honest, but the way they designed this game is just amazing.

#5 Max Payne 3 - Really liked Rockstars take on Max Payne. It feels like an older more narcissistic Max Payne. I won't say there weren't times that I didn't get a little annoyed by his constant self loathing moments, but for the most part I thoroughly enjoyed this game. The gun play, bullet time, atmosphere everything was really well done. I actually like the multiplayer in this game. I do still play it from time to time though not as much as I used to.