Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Your games of the year

I'm glad this thread got started. I'll use it and our monthly GOTM threads to create a Game of the Year poll for 2012 like we did last year. Expect that poll end of Dec or early Jan 2013.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

GOTY: The WarZ

CPU: Phenom 925 X4
    MOBO: BIOSTAR A870U3
    MEM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4GBx2 1333
    VGA: GTX 260
    PSU: Cougar CMX 700
    HDD: WD Black 500GB

I know the hate might spring with this one, but I'll explain:

-Halo 4

1.) I have not actually played any Halo game before, save for a demo of the original.
    2.) I've played PC pretty much exclusively until recently.
    3.) While the game really doesn't add anything new, what it did was solid and well executed. 343 did a great job, and it's been awhile since I walked away from a game that felt like a great experience. The focus was not to be "OMGBBQWTF did they do!" it was to put out a good product. I've played my share of crappy FPS's, and this is a compentant example of how to do an FPS right. Stick to core elements and get those right first before doing anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by 96s10 View Post
    Not sure if serious
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B-man View Post
    I know the hate might spring with this one, but I'll explain:

-Halo 4

1.) I have not actually played any Halo game before, save for a demo of the original.
    2.) I've played PC pretty much exclusively until recently.
    3.) While the game really doesn't add anything new, what it did was solid and well executed. 343 did a great job, and it's been awhile since I walked away from a game that felt like a great experience. The focus was not to be "OMGBBQWTF did they do!" it was to put out a good product. I've played my share of crappy FPS's, and this is a compentant example of how to do an FPS right. Stick to core elements and get those right first before doing anything else.
    I can accept that logic, but I'm not entirely sure what it says about the state of gaming that competence and not greatness is enough to win GOTY. Sometimes a game that leaves you satisfied but doesn't reach is better than a game that reaches too far and falls flat. Sadly I feel like too many games lately do neither, and are simply re-treads of old games. I guess thats why I rated FTL so highly, its was like a breath of fresh air amongst the stale sequels. That said, I might be a bit of a hypocrite because i voted Borderlands 2 my #1 new game of the year

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by 96s10 View Post
    I've never heard of that game, but after seeing that Steam pulled it and offered refunds to anyone who bought it, I'm not thinking it's GOTY material.

Yeah, never saw Steam offer refunds for anything in the past 8 years. When they did for War Z, you know it's really a stinker.

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD View Post
    Not sure if serious

I can accept that logic, but I'm not entirely sure what it says about the state of gaming that competence and not greatness is enough to win GOTY. Sometimes a game that leaves you satisfied but doesn't reach is better than a game that reaches too far and falls flat. Sadly I feel like too many games lately do neither, and are simply re-treads of old games. I guess thats why I rated FTL so highly, its was like a breath of fresh air amongst the stale sequels. That said, I might be a bit of a hypocrite because i voted Borderlands 2 my #1 new game of the year
    Fair enough.
    Also, I forgot to add that I think it's the only game that came out in 2012 that I played in 2012. I did play other great games, but they were out of the running.

Still, I was surprised by how good of a package Halo 4 is, and I wasn't expecting to like it this much.