Page 1 of 30 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Renewed AWB ?

Renewed AWB ?

Well by now, everyone knows what happened back east. That was and is a very sad event and
    my condolences to those lost. Of course the knee jerk reaction is a fight to get an AWB passed
    that will be even stricter than the 04 ban. Out here in Ca, the Dems are about soiling themselves
    trying to get anti gun bills on the floor and with a 2/3rds majority in both the Assembly and the
    Senate, we out here who believe in firearm ownership are in for it.

So what do ya think ?

[By the way, gun shows and gun stores are so busy right now because of the current
    mania on gun bans that dealers cannot keep anything on the shelves. So though the
    economy is still in a hurt, the gun industry is VERY robust. Obama is indeed a great
    salesman for the firearms industry.]

Re: Renewed AWB ?

Not gonna happen....

Maybe some sort of feel good, do nothing legislation. But it will amount to nothing, almost nothing, or very little.

I sometimes wonder if this "Obamas gonna take yer guns crap" is just rhetoric for the sake of driving up gun sales.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

The Democrats want one, but they don't have the political capital to get it done. They would rather raise taxes on small business owners making $300,000 than get their precious assault weapons ban back, so it won't happen.

Even if they did try to tie some AWB legislation into a budget deal, it may be a hard pill for Republicans to swallow. I mean, Republicans are just coming to grips with Boehner's proposal to raise taxes on people making $1 million+ and freezing tax rates for everybody below that.

There may be some new assault weapons bans on the state levels, though. I know here in Wisconsin, the same old anti-gun crowd says they're going to propose 1,000 new anti-gun laws on the first day of the new legislative session, including an assault weapon ban (won't go anywhere with solid Republican control in both houses and a Republican governor).

I don't think "assault weapons" (heavy quotes) should be banned. Automatic weapons are already heavily restricted. As I said in another thread, I think modifying something like an AR-15 to fire full auto carries a minimum of a 20 year federal prison stay.
    Last edited by Keven; 12-23-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Children have to die don't they.....

Here is one major problem, Adam was psychotic and had access to guns and even if he wanted to buy guns he could.

http://naturalsociety.com/prediction...chotic-fanapt/

All these idiot buying guns now are nuts. What are you going to do with a AR-15? Tooooo funny. I bought several guns hunting type and hand gun plus ammo last year knowing the heat was off.

AR-15 or anything of the like to take back America---Really---It just shows how stupid people are and don't know the capabilities of our military. LOL

Go ahead and piss away your money.
    Last edited by falcon_view; 12-23-2012 at 02:00 AM.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...iet-coup/7364/

Must see video
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-money-masters/

If workers are more insecure, that's very healthy for the society, because if workers are insecure they won't ask for wages, they won't go on strike, they won't call for benefits;, they'll serve the masters gladly and passively, And that's optimal for corporations.

Alan Greenspan

The prophet:

“The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride." And we … kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok … But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.”

― Bill Hicks

Alex Jones looks like a fat Bill Hicks. Related?

As usual our politicians feel the need to inject themselves into the conversation and make it national so they can "be seen" on what they perceive is the correct side of the discussion. Simply put... the more they see their names in print the more successful they imagine themselves.
    Also as usual, politicians follow their standard reasoning with any "event" like this: Lets build a firehouse on the site of the most recent fire. In other words lets offer an emotional response rather than something that requires actual reasoned discussion. Media for the most part does about the same thing. We have entered the age of the new mob rule. We dont see thumbs up or down in the same way Romans expressed their positions in the arena. We're far too "civilized" for that (we tell ourselves). Instead we use polls and Twitter trends. When politicians arent quite sure how the mob perceives they set up another "Blue Ribbon Panel" to delay action and reinforce the notion the mob must be satisfied.
    I believe the State of CT is fully capable of both writing and enforcing its own gun legislation without comment from other politicians including The President.
    I also believe directing the typical anger associated with an event like this...absent the ability to direct it at the killer... at current gun owners, is misplaced.
    Lerts look at school security improvements first followed by an honest look at what seems to be flaws within our mental health apparatus and then move on to gun legislation if necessary.

iowahawkblog Not a single mass shooting has ever been stopped by a citizen armed with a New York Times. #NYTimesSchoolofLogic18 minutes ago
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 12-23-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon_view View Post
    Children have to die don't they.....

Here is one major problem, Adam was psychotic and had access to guns and even if he wanted to buy guns he could.

http://naturalsociety.com/prediction...chotic-fanapt/

All these idiot buying guns now are nuts. What are you going to do with a AR-15? Tooooo funny. I bought several guns hunting type and hand gun plus ammo last year knowing the heat was off.

AR-15 or anything of the like to take back America---Really---It just shows how stupid people are and don't know the capabilities of our military. LOL

Go ahead and piss away your money.
    Thankfully, we don't have to follow your thinking when we spend our money.

From your recent posts, you appear to be the only one who you consider to be not stupid around here.

That's a precarious position to balance on.

falcon_view's posts are so incoherent, I can't tell what side he's on half the time.

The NRA is saying to arm teachers and staff or at least have armed security around.
    And in a way that would work, but a school security officer I talked with at one of
    the high schools in San Bernardino brought up an interesting point. Now if none
    know, San Bernardino, Ca is a pretty rough place though not as dangerous as a lot
    of places. The middle schools and high schools have San Bernardino School Police
    who are a part of the city's Police Dept.

Anyway we were talking while I was waiting
    to load my high school for the ride home. I asked him " Do you carry firearms or does
    the Dept allow you to do so ? " He replied " No we aren't armed save for spray and one
    of the finest communications setup money can buy, along with cuffs, and other things."
    He said " "If we were armed and overcome by a mass of students, then our weapons could
    end up in the hands of out of control students and no telling what would happen, so
    no, no firearms. Our squad cars have ordnance but there are only a few cars in service at
    any one time. The city Police are ALWAYS monitoring our radios for any trouble and
    you yourself have seen how fast the city shows up here at Arroyo." [Arroyo Valley High School]

It does make sense, as much as I hate to admit it, but I try and be at least a lil fair on these
    things. So more ideas have to come forth, but I am in no way supporting any kind of ban.

[In case any wonder why this school police officer would tell me this is because he's seen me at
    least 4 years at the same school and knows of one of my nieces who works city Adult Probation.
    It's all public policy, but no one ever brings it up, so he wasn't defying dept rules. The
    company that employs me works close with the school district and the city's school police.]

So this is just a real time exp from a pro firearm member here. One just doesn't know until it
    becomes real.
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 12-23-2012 at 08:09 PM.

I can truly understand community resistance to any "cops in schools" plans. Its an emotional/symbolic reaction that I can appreciate. To uproot that reasoning I might ask "why do you value our money more than our kids?". It follows the obvious truth that we have always protected what we seem to value most with armed guards. Banks have guards. Politicians have guards. We protect our borders with armed guards.
    Why is it such a jump in logic to demand we do the same for our school aged children?
    On what logical basis does that exception exist?

Since liberals promote the notion that all killers arent mentally ill how do they respond to these statements:
    What is more likely to deter a would be killer:
    1. No guns at this school site
    2. There are armed/trained staff at this school

Here. This illustrates my point via Instapundit

http://cdn.pjmedia.com/instapundit/w...uslesssafe.png
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 12-24-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Some firefighters in NY were shot this morning responding to a call. Apparently the shooter set a trap for them, waited for them to show up, and then shot 4 of them, killing 2 of them.

So the thought question for the day is: How many of the firefighters would have died if the shooter was armed with knives instead?

I don't get it, and never will. I've fired a variety of handguns, rifles, and shotguns, and while they are cool and clever in terms of the little rush they give you when you pull the trigger, I still just don't get it. I don't live in a reality where the right to have that rush transcends the rights of parents not having to worry about their kids being murdered at school. I'd give up my right to ever fire a gun for the rest of my life in order to bring those kids back...I don't need the rush and I don't live in a reality that fools me into thinking that somehow my ammunition stockpile is going to prevent the government from eliminating me from this planet if they are so motivated. I don't live in that reality of fear that so many do. And because of that, I just don't get it.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Some firefighters in NY were shot this morning responding to a call. Apparently the shooter set a trap for them, waited for them to show up, and then shot 4 of them, killing 2 of them.

So the thought question for the day is: How many of the firefighters would have died if the shooter was armed with knives instead?

I don't get it, and never will. I've fired a variety of handguns, rifles, and shotguns, and while they are cool and clever in terms of the little rush they give you when you pull the trigger, I still just don't get it. I don't live in a reality where the right to have that rush transcends the rights of parents not having to worry about their kids being murdered at school. I'd give up my right to ever fire a gun for the rest of my life in order to bring those kids back...I don't need the rush and I don't live in a reality that fools me into thinking that somehow my ammunition stockpile is going to prevent the government from eliminating me from this planet if they are so motivated. I don't live in that reality of fear that so many do. And because of that, I just don't get it.

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas
    Couldn't agree more.

And how many gun owners used their guns in an appropriate way today? Not knowing the specifics, what improved gun laws (short of absolute confiscation) would have prevented the obvious misuse we see carried out against the firefighters?
    It seems to me logic separates the misuse from legitmate use or certainly should. Again, following that strained logic we wouldnt have airplanes following 9/11 if our object was to prevent any and all misuse of airplanes.
    Yet I can appreciate the emotional reaction to this morning's event.(I get how this stuff pisses us off)

Perhaps Obama was correct when he said:

[M]y belief is that, (A), we have to enforce the laws we’ve already got, make sure that we’re keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, those who are mentally ill. We’ve done a much better job in terms of background checks, but we’ve got more to do when it comes to enforcement.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 12-24-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Thats a fair question, but even some of the most deranged would figure out that they wouldn't
    get much done with a knife. On the other side of it, what if the killer had decided to use an explosive
    device ? One was used, though not explosive, in the Colo attack. Sure it was a smoke bomb, but
    it could of been a grenade or a few grenades. He could of used a simple chemical mix of everyday
    goods to make a very serious bomb and all he would of needed was a plastic or glass container to
    cause max injuries.

A weapon is a matter of convenience. Though inanimate in it's own environment, it can be used
    either in a safe responsible manner or for evil intent, but regardless it takes manipulation in order
    for the weapon itself to activate. I have to respect BD's feeling the way he does about firearms. That's
    only right. I have some firearms and some little ammo but don't live in a reality of fear, except
    fearing I may fail Ca's nasty test only smog check on my old truck this week, but other than that, nope.

I keep mine because I can and spent 3 years defending that right. I also understand parents worrying,
    who wouldn't. But if someone is intent on making some infamous name for him or herself, it doesn't
    matter. That person will be driven to do so using anything avail for max exposure. One can legislate the
    heck out of anything, but someone will ALWAYS figure out a way to get around it, or ignore it.

Lanza KNEW killing was wrong, that it was against the law regardless of how nuts he was, but that
    didn't stop him or the others who have done evil attacks.
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 12-24-2012 at 02:59 PM.