Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 440

Thread: Renewed AWB ?

  1. #241
    Joined
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    74,682

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    ...But listing gun owners isnt a McCarthy tactic. Sure. There is no liberal plan to paint gun owners as undesirable. This isnt a further indication. Okey Dokey

    Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, moving to take a lead role in the gun control debate, is turning up the pressure on banks that do business with firearms manufacturers.

  2. #242
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    21,337

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    I hate guns
    Never owned one
    Never shot one
    Never touched one
    Never will

    and they look scary too

    I think the 2nd amendment should be replaced with something that gives the president the right to form a seperate private army accountable to only him to protect himself from the people. How does anyone ever expect him to get anything done unless he has the power to do anything he wants to do?

    Like Lincoln said:

    and that government of the president, by the president, for the president, shall not perish from the earth.
    My CYA intended for future use…

  3. #243
    Joined
    May 2002
    Location
    Twain Harte, CA
    Posts
    20,326

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post

    My CYA intended for future use…
    Smartass.


  4. #244
    Joined
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Colorafornia, USSA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    13,758

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    How many MORE people do you think would die in car accidents if there weren't at least some level of societal expectation that you should be able to operate a motor vehicle? How many more people do you think would die if say, anybody over the age of 18 with no driving experience whatsoever could walk onto a lot, buy a car, and drive away without providing any indication that you know what you are doing?

    I can appreciate the analogy you are trying to make, but just look at the logic. We do a helluva lot to ensure that people on the road have at least some level of training. Not only that but we make people carry insurance so that if they screw up and injure someone else there is a safety net in place.

    I don't want to eliminate guns altogether. I'd just like to know that the folks who deem it so necessary to have them at least have some level of competence when operating them.
    I have absolutely no disagreement here at all. Well maybe one. This country doesn't do nearly enough when it comes to driver education. The fact that more people don't die in cars is nothing short of a miracle imo, especially when I see people texting at 80mph! Regarding what you said about gun education, I have no problem with that at all and I think it's an excellent idea. If I would have had to take a specialized safety course for my AK purchase I definitely would have.

  5. #245
    Joined
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Obamaland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    9,532

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Well you can thank the recent advancements in auto safety for that.


    As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.



  6. #246
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Off my medication
    Posts
    782

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    To me, the whole term "assault weapon" is silly. Fully automatic guns have been banned in the United States since 1934. An AR-15 or kho's AK-47 may look like the weapons that Rambo uses in the movies, but they still fire the same way as Grandpappy's old woodstock .22 rifle - one pull of the trigger, one bullet. The "assault weapon" is just a silly term invented by liberals to ban cosmetics on weapons that make them look like assault rifles used by the military. Look at NY's new gun law. They ban "pistol grips" and the "military-style handguard on the barrel".
    It's really fun, when you look at something like say the Mini-14, that's available in both ranch and tactical versions. Either way, it's the same gun, the only difference is the stocks. Neither is more or less effective than the other. The tactical version looks like the standard liberal "assault weapon." The ranch version looks very much like an M14, which is a true assault rifle.

    Hell, the AR15 doesn't even have the pistol grip because anybody thought it would somehow make it more functional, it has it because part of the mechanism of the gun extends straight back into the shoulder stock, making a conventional rifle grip/stock impossible. I've seen California legal grips on those that are meant to emulate the geometry of a rifle grip. There's place for the shooter's thumb. I don't see how that's safer for anybody.

    The whole affair is like putting a wing on a Prius, and saying you can't drive it on the street anymore, because it's a race car now.

  7. #247
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Age
    71
    Posts
    21,337

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    Smartass.


    Who me?

  8. #248
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,208

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    How many MORE people do you think would die in car accidents if there weren't at least some level of societal expectation that you should be able to operate a motor vehicle? How many more people do you think would die if say, anybody over the age of 18 with no driving experience whatsoever could walk onto a lot, buy a car, and drive away without providing any indication that you know what you are doing?

    I can appreciate the analogy you are trying to make, but just look at the logic. We do a helluva lot to ensure that people on the road have at least some level of training. Not only that but we make people carry insurance so that if they screw up and injure someone else there is a safety net in place.

    I don't want to eliminate guns altogether. I'd just like to know that the folks who deem it so necessary to have them at least have some level of competence when operating them.
    I'm not against gun training in theory. But we both know it's just a foot in the door for legislation that the anti-gun crowd would use to make it extraordinarily difficult for anyone to get a gun at all. It's already happened in many states like the one I'm sitting in, which is why I'll always vote against it. The "you don't need..." crowd is always vocal. Sorry.. it's my Constitutional right. Did Rosa Parks really "need" to sit in the font of the bus?

    It's very rarely the legal owners that are the problem. And when it is there really is not much that could have been done on the gun legislation side to stop those incidents. To expand on your auto analogy. Despite all that "training" people get to drive and the fact there are laws on the books about people not being able to drive with no insurance and no license... people still drive without either or both. We don't have a mandatory "training" program before people are allowed to become sexually active or parents either. It's a much larger responsibility IMHO yet some people think we should all be on the hook for the consequences of other peoples actions in that area regardless. Where do you wanna draw the line?
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  9. #249
    Joined
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Off my medication
    Posts
    782

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    I'm not against gun training in theory. But we both know it's just a foot in the door for legislation that the anti-gun crowd would use to make it extraordinarily difficult for anyone to get a gun at all. It's already happened in many states like the one I'm sitting in, which is why I'll always vote against it.
    Similar has happened in Australia. They've made it as difficult as possible to get a firearms license, there. Not only do you have to pass testing that's designed to be difficult and tedious, but you also have to have a "good reason" to own a firearm. Defending yourself or your family is not considered a good reason. But, protecting your livestock is.

  10. #250
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,208

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Greyryder View Post
    Similar has happened in Australia. They've made it as difficult as possible to get a firearms license, there. Not only do you have to pass testing that's designed to be difficult and tedious, but you also have to have a "good reason" to own a firearm. Defending yourself or your family is not considered a good reason. But, protecting your livestock is.
    Exactly! First they say you need training... seems reasonable. The next thing you know you are having to rationalize to some panel of libtard breauweenies why you need a gun at all. The rationale behind the 2nd Amendment is very clear. But no matter how much historical evidence you toss at the anti gun crowd, they still scoff at the idea that the gubberment would turn against the populace. that'd never happen here.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  11. #251
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Corruptfornia
    Posts
    3,785

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    And for those who have forgotten what Government is suppose to be like
    and not what the Gov such as the present one is or will become, a reality check.
    It's not long and worth watching, if one believes in an individual's rights.


    And yes, the two who so objected are Dems and as well broke their sworn oaths
    as noted by the Mayor.

    Not to say the GOP hasn't. Many members have and will continue to do so.

    It was just refreshing to hear a Gov of the People actually stand up for the
    Constitution and this man's rights.

  12. #252
    Joined
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,027

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    All I know is that all the 2016 Dem hopefuls for President are running around with their gun legislation. Biden, Cuomo and Bloomberg. Hillary and Booker better start getting their names in the press with anti-gun news if they want a shot at that 2016 nomination!

  13. #253
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,498

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Exactly! First they say you need training... seems reasonable. The next thing you know you are having to rationalize to some panel of libtard breauweenies why you need a gun at all. The rationale behind the 2nd Amendment is very clear. But no matter how much historical evidence you toss at the anti gun crowd, they still scoff at the idea that the gubberment would turn against the populace. that'd never happen here.
    If the rationale behind the second amendment were clear, we wouldn't be arguing about whether or not the forefathers thought it was a good idea for people to own armed tanks or not.

    We don't scoff at the idea that our government would ever turn against us. We don't think it is likely, however, and believe that if the government did turn against us, it wouldn't matter how many AK's and hand grenades you have socked away in your survival shed. They could wipe us all out by sitting at a computer screen and pressing buttons on a joystick.

    Restrictions on the second amendment are important for the same reason that restrictions on the first amendment are important.

  14. #254
    Joined
    Mar 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    26,208

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    If the rationale behind the second amendment were clear, we wouldn't be arguing about whether or not the forefathers thought it was a good idea for people to own armed tanks or not.
    Let's just agree to disagree that the 2nd Amendment:

    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
    Is clear to those of us who support it fully and unclear to those who think it's ambiguous language open to interpretation.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    We don't scoff at the idea that our government would ever turn against us.
    The truth is a great many in the anti-gun crowd do. A quick google for:

    liberals scoff at the idea that the government would ever turn against us

    Nets over 5.2 million hits. Unscientific yes. But you and I both know I could post examples of the libberal elite press and lawmakers doing just that on a daily basis.. especially after a shooting.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    We don't think it is likely, however, and believe that if the government did turn against us, it wouldn't matter how many AK's and hand grenades you have socked away in your survival shed. They could wipe us all out by sitting at a computer screen and pressing buttons on a joystick.
    With all the historical examples to the contrary, a 100% voluntary force, and the years of exchanges between us... you are simply too smart for me to believe for a millisecond you actually think that argument passes the smell test.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Restrictions on the second amendment are important for the same reason that restrictions on the first amendment are important.
    Using that 1st Amendment analogy.. we never restrict free speech in the manner the anti-gun crowd wishes us to restrict gun ownership. We always enforce limitations on speech after the fact. As in you are held responsible for what you say. What the anti-gun crowd is proposing is the equivalent to sewing our collective lips shut so we never have the opportunity to say something harmful. How would you feel about having to submit a request to some unelected panel of breauweenies prior to being able to express and opinion? Or that same panel having control of what you "need" to say?

    "We don't have a problem with guns.. we just don't feel you need greater than a 3 round clip... or need anything we classify as an assault weapon"

    Sound familiar? The take from many on the left is ass backwards to the intent of the founding fathers.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."


    -The Gipper


  15. #255
    Joined
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oregon
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,498

    Re: Renewed AWB ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter View Post
    Let's just agree to disagree that the 2nd Amendment:

    Is clear to those of us who support it fully and unclear to those who think it's ambiguous language open to interpretation.
    I'm sorry, I just can't help myself.



    The truth is a great many in the anti-gun crowd do. A quick google for:

    liberals scoff at the idea that the government would ever turn against us

    Nets over 5.2 million hits. Unscientific yes. But you and I both know I could post examples of the libberal elite press and lawmakers doing just that on a daily basis.. especially after a shooting.
    Actually I don't see one hit in that little unscientific survey of right-wing-nuttia that suggests to me that the elite libberal press is publishing stories about scoffing at the idea of the government ever turning against us. I see lots of articles from right-wing-nuttia claiming that elite libberal media is doing so. Maybe the truths you speak of are truths in right-wing-nuttia land.


    With all the historical examples to the contrary, a 100% voluntary force, and the years of exchanges between us... you are simply too smart for me to believe for a millisecond you actually think that argument passes the smell test.
    Wait, what are we taking about here? You do know that we have un-manned drones, right? That our military leaders have the power to wipe us from this planet by pushing a button, right?

    Using that 1st Amendment analogy.. we never restrict free speech in the manner the anti-gun crowd wishes us to restrict gun ownership. We always enforce limitations on speech after the fact. As in you are held responsible for what you say. What the anti-gun crowd is proposing is the equivalent to sewing our collective lips shut so we never have the opportunity to say something harmful. How would you feel about having to submit a request to some unelected panel of breauweenies prior to being able to express and opinion? Or that same panel having control of what you "need" to say?

    "We don't have a problem with guns.. we just don't feel you need greater than a 3 round clip... or need anything we classify as an assault weapon"

    Sound familiar? The take from many on the left is ass backwards to the intent of the founding fathers.
    ^^^That might be the best argument I've ever heard anyone on this forum make against gun control. The only response I have is that I think our problem lies within what the founding fathers intended, and how we interpret it differently.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •