Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Renewed AWB ?

Re: Renewed AWB ?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinC939 View Post
    I would disagree. This day and age it's all political rhetoric. Our constitutional rights have been infringed upon for a long time. I don't see alot of people out there valiantly defending the other amendments. Warrant less wiretapping, and the Patriot act are suddenly ok now that Obama is doing it. And that's really why I feel if Romney were president right now, he'd be looking to pass something similar to what Obama is trying to do. I notice that when a President fails to act towards the interests of their party, they don't get criticized nearly as much as when they do. Bush wasn't heavily criticized for being weak on immigration, and Obama has actually deported more immigrants than Bush, yet he gets praise and criticism for The Dream Act. Bush was labeled a war monger for his foreign policy, and his use of war power's. But here's Obama renewing the Patriot Act, signing the NDAA, ordering drone strikes. If McCain were doing these things, could you imagine the outrage?

I feel like if Romney was pushing for the same gun control laws, I feel like the right would quietly criticize it while the left will rage over it's utter uselessness and how it's just a weak attempt at gun control by the gun nut right wing even thought it is essentially a re hash of the 1994 AWB.

That being said IIRC, the 94 AWB was passed through a dem controlled house and senate. So I would think it is highly unlikely that this bill will pass in current form.

I feel like today's leaders see the constitution as merely a political token only to be invoked when it suits their purpose and fits their narrative. Any other time it's considered a relic of a forgotten land.
    I think that if Romney had been elected President, he would have pushed through an AWB like he did in Taxachewshits just to appear more "moderate", which is all Republicans seem to want to do anymore anyway. An interesting article on "assault weapons" between the two from before the election. It's pretty bad when Obama sounds a lot more sensible on the subject than Romney did.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...eapons-duel#p1

File under "dumb arse poll of the week". Time/CNN/ORC put out a new poll on America's view on guns, legislation, causes of gun violence, etc. You may find the online article here and in the first paragraph there is a link to a Word document with specific results to the poll questions. For reasons that escape me, a hard copy article in Time included results to the question, "Do you or someone in your household own a gun", yet this doesn't appear in the online article or the detailed survey results. The answer to the ownership question was split 49%/49%, with 2% apparently unsure. The detailed survey results document also skips a few questions, which I gather included the "do you own a gun" question, because they *do* include the results of the follow-up "Why do you own a gun question".

In any event, why are they the dumb arse poll of the week?

Well, what sort of replies do you expect to the question of "Do you think existing gun laws are too lax, about right, or too strict?" Gosh, when 49% of people say no one in their household owns a gun, I wager the vast majority have no idea about the details of what it requires to purchase a gun. Stunningly 56% feel our existing gun laws are too lax, which is enough for Biden and 'Bama to make their push.

You might as well ask a virgin if sex is too enjoyable, about right, or not enough fun.

I like to think of Carlin in these moments. Imagine the intelligence of the average person, and then realize in horror that 50% of the population is stupider than they are:

Bloody "Gun Appreciation Day" shows value of gun control: Editorial

Where there are guns, people are more likely to get shot. The average gun owner has better odds of killing an innocent person than a criminal.

There are studies that show this, but why not just review the headlines from Gun Appreciation Day?

During the first-ever national event Saturday, which was meant to make us all feel more appreciative of guns, we had three accidental shootings at different gun shows. Five people were struck — and that was just at the gun shows.

Elsewhere that day, a 6-year-old Ohio girl shot herself in the face while handling her father’s gun. A 14-year-old boy in Georgia accidentally shot and killed his 15-year-old brother with his mother’s handgun. And a New Jersey father mistakenly shot his 14-year-old son in the face while deer hunting.

Gun enthusiasts issued an irritated news release Sunday: “The media is pathetically trying to portray yesterday as ‘Bloody Saturday’ because of some accidental fire,” they wrote of the gun shows. “While we pray for the injured patriots’ speedy recovery ... it is no different than a car accident at a car show. IT IS AN ACCIDENT, not even worth discussing.”

Right. To be fair, throwing a gun luau and expecting no gun violence is like hosting an outdoor wedding in stormy April. Saturday’s event plainly illustrated why it’s not a good idea to have guns in homes, schools, hospitals, movie theaters or other public places: It only leads to more accidents, homicides and suicides.

Gun ownership and carry permits, meanwhile, do very little to deter crime. People who carry guns are far more likely to get shot and killed than people who are unarmed, according to a University of Pennsylvania study.

Then there’s the danger to everyone else around them. Having a gun at home makes a woman more than seven times more likely to be the victim of domestic homicide. About twice as many preschool children are killed by guns — many at home — than law enforcement officers in the line of duty.

Just last week, a Queens mother accidentally left her handgun in the backpack of her 7-year-old son, who took it to school. And yesterday, a school security guard in Michigan forgot his gun in the bathroom.

Want to protect kids? Keep the guns away.
    Can't make this stuff up.
    Last edited by BlackDragon24; 01-22-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Elsewhere that day, a 6-year-old Ohio girl shot herself in the face while handling her father’s gun. A 14-year-old boy in Georgia accidentally shot and killed his 15-year-old brother with his mother’s handgun. And a New Jersey father mistakenly shot his 14-year-old son in the face while deer hunting.
    Can't make this stuff up.
    Sounds like more people need to teach their kids not to play with guns / trigger locks / gun safes. Something the NRA has always promoted and encouraged.

My old man had a .22 rifle in the front closet when I was a little kid. I got bellered at for even looking at it. I got bellered at for walking past it. I got bellered at for thinking about it. I joke, but only a little bit. Being a Generation Y youngin, my parents didn't spank me much, but I'm sure if my old man ever caught me touching that gun with a pinky finger, he would of skinned my ass.

If you're that irresponsible, your gun is an accident waiting to happen. Case in point, Newtown. That weird survivalist mom knew her son was crazy and threatened to have him committed, but she left him with access to firearms, including assault weapons? "Think, McFly, Think!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keven View Post
    Sounds like more people need to teach their kids not to play with guns / trigger locks / gun safes. Something the NRA has always promoted and encouraged.

My old man had a .22 rifle in the front closet when I was a little kid. I got bellered at for even looking at it. I got bellered at for walking past it. I got bellered at for thinking about it. I joke, but only a little bit. Being a Generation Y youngin, my parents didn't spank me much, but I'm sure if my old man ever caught me touching that gun with a pinky finger, he would of skinned my ass.

If you're that irresponsible, your gun is an accident waiting to happen. Case in point, Newtown. That weird survivalist mom knew her son was crazy and threatened to have him committed, but she left him with access to firearms, including assault weapons? "Think, McFly, Think!"
    Yeah, and makes you think about how many people who are out there who DON'T know that their kids are crazy and leave them with access to firearms.

Or, say, how many people who attend gun shows and think that their guns aren't loaded....and then....OOPS.

Or, say, how many people who hunt and can't tell the difference between a deer and their son's/friend's face.

I think the stat that stuck out at me from that article? Being a woman in a home with a gun makes you 7 times more likely to die from domestic homicide. That flies in the face of everything I ever hear the NRA preaching.

I think the stat that stuck out at me from that article? Being a woman in a home with a gun makes you 7 times more likely to die from domestic homicide. That flies in the face of everything I ever hear the NRA preaching.
    Now, BD, you're a man of science. Did you look at the U Penn study they cite?

http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcon...dennis_culhane

They studied 600 gun assaults from urban Philadelphia. Big urban cities, not exactly the bastion of responsible (legal) gun ownership.

From the study:

Situations in which the victim had at least some chance to resist may have generated gun assault risks when one considers that many of these events were 2-sided situations in which both parties were ready and mutually willing to fight on the basis of a prior argument
    Also from the study, you're more likely to be shot in urban Philadelphia if you have a criminal record, a drug addiction, limited education and a "high-risk occupation". Oh yeah, their control group had too many unemployed people in it too (compared to the state average for Pennsylvania).

So, my point is, this is a very interesting case study in gun possession in inner cities, but has zero relevant data regarding suburban or rural gun owners. I'd love to see the odds of women getting murdered when the gun owner in their house is a card carrying NRA member and a CCW permit holder.

There's also a study that shows that women hooked up with a$$holes are 98% more likely to die from domestic homicide.

I did the study myself, this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    There's also a study that shows that women hooked up with a$$holes are 98% more likely to die from domestic homicide.

I did the study myself, this morning.
    Maybe we can cross-reference our studies and determine just how many gun owners are wife-shooting a$$holes

Maybe we can cross-reference our studies and determine just how many gun owners are wife-shooting a$$holes
    Before we run the numbers, I'll predict they'll run about the same as with women face punchers.

I'm curious to know how many used "assault rifles" and thirty round clips... 'cause that's what we're discussing making changes to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    I'm curious to know how many used "assault rifles" and thirty round clips... 'cause that's what we're discussing making changes to.
    Yeah unfortunately this new BS legislation will do little to nothing to solve any of our gun problems. The problem more than anything is that we have a bunch of crazy/stupid people with rights they shouldn't have. Bigger problem is that there is no real way to determine who the crazy/stupid people are until they do something with those rights that tell us that they are crazy/stupid and that they shouldn't have had those rights to begin with.

So basically we are screwed

Yeah unfortunately this new BS legislation will do little to nothing to solve any of our gun problems. The problem more than anything is that we have a bunch of crazy/stupid people with rights they shouldn't have. Bigger problem is that there is no real way to determine who the crazy/stupid people are until they do something with those rights that tell us that they are crazy/stupid and that they shouldn't have had those rights to begin with.

Agreed...see there can be agreement. We all know and admit toomany people are killed with guns or otherwise in this country. Its all about what can we do to help..not eliminate the problem.
    I dont own guns yet Im sensitive to gun rights and accept them as 100% legit. The same way Im not a journalist yet I remain sensitive to any watering down of that right as well.
    With guns what I resist is the temptation to legislate without any focus on contributing issues.
    That we face a mental health problem is obvious. I simply find it hard to believe our mental health system is so uninformed in 2012 that improvements cant be made to better screen young people.
    If I were going to screen young folks? The first group Id look at are children without an active male role model. Or an acceptable role model. Why do we think gangs exist? Probably the only family these folks experience.
    Consider a kid like Adam Lanza...not to make him overly typical yet he is in an odd way. No father figure active in his life. No gangs available Im sure.
    So the kid involves himself with an adopted online family..including video games. He learns. He learns killing is abstract. And painless. Its how to be a real man. Just like the Terminator.
    So for me? Gun legislation is only a part of any real improvement. And lets not punish all the legit gun owners.
    The guns didnt walk to Sandy Hook school. A deeply troubled kid simply found them too convenient to resist where a normal kid wouldnt even give the notion anything further than "fantasy thought". Sadly Adam didnt have that internal on and off switch normal folks have.

Bigger problem is that there is no real way to determine who the crazy/stupid people are until they do something with those rights that tell us that they are crazy/stupid and that they shouldn't have had those rights to begin with.

Well, someone obviously hasn't bought themselves a gun. Otherwise you'd know it's right there on the form. Not only do they ask if you have mental health issues, they also ask if you're a stalker. They even ask if you're a felon who can't lawfully purchase, so they really have all the bases covered.

Seriously, what a friggin' waste of paper. They might as well ask, "Would you ever intentionally shoot someone due to spite, anger, depression, or simply because you're having a bad day? If yes, please explain under what circumstances you'd shoot someone that might run contrary to the law. . ."

As usual, our politicians are barking up the wrong tree.

I'm still wondering why there isn't more being done about gun education. The ignorance is overwhelming.
    Nuke em'.

I keep waiting and waiting, checking and checking both my sidearms and long
    arms and to this day, they have yet to jailbreak from the safe on their own, load themselves
    and go do "gun violence" spree. I must have defective weapons. I waited and am still
    waiting for the small number of 10, 20 and 30 round magazines to locate the ammo, somehow
    load these rounds into said mags, insert said mags into whatever weapons they
    may fit and somehow go out the door and commit loaded multi round gun violence.

I guess I have defective magazines as well.

Gee.. Now what ? Guess I'll just keep waiting and checking while people, anti gun groups
    and many control freak politicians try and berate people like myself who have done
    absolutely nothing wrong other than enjoy our rights under the 2nd Amendment.

I and millions like myself must be evil incarnate according to many including some here.

Oh well.
    Last edited by no2guncntrl; 01-23-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Here we go.. Wicked Witch Of The West to introduce AWB Thursday surrounded by who knows..

http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AhFJ38KpH...-politics.html
    Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., will introduce legislation Thursday morning to reinstate a federal ban on assault weapons, the senator's office announced Wednesday.

The "Assault Weapons Ban of 2013," which centers on banning military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devices—actions backed by President Barack Obama—will be introduced during a press conference at 11 a.m. Thursday. Feinstein will be joined by a coalition of Democratic lawmakers, law enforcement officers, and representatives from gun safety and gun violence groups, among others